StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Wrist sit help

• Wrist sit help

Posted by Phoenix Hunter on September 14, 2013 at 6:40 pm

I can not get the wrist sit. I can pole sit, then plank. but when I try to do the wrist sit I almost fall to the floor. any tips? so frustrated!! once I reach my arm around my big butt and grab on to the pole I am leaning sideways. it's not safe to open my legs cause I will fall. I did it a couple of times but I still leaning to the side of my arm that is underneath.

dancing in the gray replied 10 years, 7 months ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • chemgoddess1

September 14, 2013 at 7:19 pm

There are lots who lean to the side on this.  First things first, are you grabbing thumb up?  Your thumb should be way far in where the sun don't shine.  Akthough this pic shows the pole straight up center, you should have it a bit to the side of the lady bits too.

http://www.poledance-paris.com/12_repertoire/images/planche02_fig27.jpg

• Runemist34

September 14, 2013 at 7:20 pm

It sounds to me like you're trying to get this directly from the plank, and I could see that being particularly hard.

The main thing I would have to say is that you really need to drop your hips similar to the way you would in a CKR, and curl your spine into a C, hollowing your belly similar to a split-grip V lift (or spin), so that when you reach around underneath your bum, you have just that extra little bit of room. You're not trying to go from shoulder right to your spine! If you need to put your arm directly under one buttock, then do so. It's all personal.

The other thing is about your hands. I found very much that I would slide, and I couldn't get a strong grip with my hands in this position. I felt very unstable. So, first of all, you want to make sure you've got your thumb pointing up. People have said "Think of it like sticking your thumb up your butt," and I suppose that's true! The other really helpful hint I had was to switch hands. It seems counter-intuitive, but it will help in trying to pull a little bit with the top hand, so that your weight is evenly spread, rather than putting all of it on your wrist (which would hurt!)

Sometimes it helps to study some of the pictures of people doing wrist sits to figure out what their body is doing; I had to do that a LONG time before getting this move. I noticed that some people tend to wrist sit with their hips a little off-center, and some people really like to have it all aligned. Again, it's a lot about practice.

Give it time, because this move can be really scary for some!

• chemgoddess1

September 14, 2013 at 8:28 pm

The other thing that helped me find my spot with this was to go into it out of a layback.

• Phoenix Hunter

September 14, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Thank-you! I think the times I did it , it was because my hips were low- curled into a "C" like you were saying. getting that bottom hand placement is really throwing me off. I guess I will just have to play around with it and see what works better. but yes, this position is scary for me and I won't even try it if I'm the least little bit slippery. ARRRGGGGHHH! gonna give my bruised body a break for a few days then try again.

• michaelaarghh

September 15, 2013 at 9:57 pm

can you do it just from a pole sit? i find its easier to lean slightly on to one butt cheek, grab with my hand, then extend my legs.

• dancing in the gray

September 15, 2013 at 11:19 pm

I definitely lean to one side while doing a wrist sit. The one thing that really helped me to lean and press against the pole was to fold my knees in to my chest, and then splay. It ensures that I have a good push against the pole on one side of a cheek before I extend out.