StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Wrist Wraps? Should I use them?

• Wrist Wraps? Should I use them?

Posted by StrangeFox on November 19, 2017 at 3:27 am

When should wrist wraps be used in pole dancing?

I’ve read a few older posts on here and a few articles online about pole dancing and wrist wraps. I’m intrigued and want to try a pair. I want to use them to keep my wrists in alignment while doing split grip training and to protect my very tiny wrists against injury. Because of my hyper-mobile elbows it’s difficult for me to keep my bottom wrist straight in a split grip. Is this the type of situation where a wrist wrap could help?

My fear is that I’ll use it and it’ll mask some kind of alignment/strength issue that will later cause injury. Any insight into this would be much appreciated!

Baudelaire replied 6 years, 3 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Autumn Sky

November 19, 2017 at 1:12 pm

I started using wrist wraps after I developed Carpel Tunnel. I have found them very helpful when I am learning a new move that requires split grip(butterfly,jamilla to butterfly,all grip ayesha’s for bottom hand and ayesha variations,etc).I like the added support and I feel they help me keep my wrist aligned and I can focus on the muscle I need to engage in for each move. Once I am solid in a move, I no longer need them for that move. By the way, I have tiny wrists and hyper-mobile elbows too!

I use the brand “strength wraps”.

• StrangeFox

November 19, 2017 at 6:16 pm

Thank you, Autumn Sky! Sounds like you’re in the same boat as me! I’m trying to learn those moves, too. How do you find the sizing of the strength wraps? My wrist circumference is approx. 13 1/2 cms so I’m worried I won’t be able to find a brand that fits. 😀

• LatinPoler

November 19, 2017 at 8:28 pm

My general thought is that it is a better idea to develop the techique and strengh, than rely on external “devices” to achieve something. Wrists a forearms can be strenghtened too, Veena has exercises for that. Always honor your body… it will let you know when it is ready. There might be exceptions of course, but as I always say, let’s not rush this. Pole is ajourney, enjoy the process

• StrangeFox

November 19, 2017 at 9:37 pm

Thanks LatinPoler! Yeah, that’s kind of my worry, to be honest. I don’t want to rush, especially with something like split grip so I’ve been moving very slowly. I’m concerned wrist wraps would give me a false sense of security and I’d push too hard too fast. But I also want to make sure I’m protecting my wrists and forearms as much as possible. Whenever I fall even slightly out of alignment, I feel it and it scares me a bit. On the flip side I don’t want to indulge a bad habit or mask bad technique. I did run into a similar issue with mighty grip ankle protectors and it took me FOREVER to un-learn my bad climbing/side climbing habits.

I feel a huge difference in my inverted split grip. I’m now secure and my upper arm is pulling and supporting me 100%. My lower arm is just pushing me away from the pole. I think this is what upright split grip should feel like, too, but I’m not quite there yet so maybe my body needs more strength. I have been doing Veena’s exercises and I’ve noticed a huge difference. 🙂

• Veena

Administrator
    November 20, 2017 at 8:20 pm

I use wrist wraps! HOWEVER…..I don’t suggest you start off using them when first learning. As LatinPoler mentioned I feel it’s important to develop strength in the hands, wrists and forearms FIRST. Because if you don’t you may find you’ll need to wrap to keep injury’s away or once you stop wrapping you’ll find you become injured more easily.

I DO like wraps and use them at times now that I am stronger. I only use them when I plan on doing handstand or split grip work for a large part of my training session. It can really help with fatigue and allow you to train longer. Just be careful not to over do it because you have them!

Quick answer:
    Beginners and occasional polers don’t need them (don’t let marketing tell you, you do lol)
    Beginners should always build strength first by poling and training CONSISTENTLY.
    Use them if you plan on training split grips or handstands longer than average.

Don’t use them EVERY TIME you train split grips and handstands.
    Don’t forget to STRETCH the forearms after every session 🙂

• Veena

Administrator
    November 20, 2017 at 8:23 pm

Shoot, I deleted the middle of my reply!!

Wraps can be helpful for people who are dealing with injury or if they have a job where they use their hands a lot like, typing, hairstylist, massage therapists, you get the idea. It can keep them from being over worked.

I think that’s about what I had written!

• StrangeFox

November 21, 2017 at 1:38 am

Thanks so much, Veena! I’m a programmer and on the computer a lot so I might want to invest in some wrist wraps once I get my split grip up to snuff! 🙂 I love the forearm stretches on here and I do them every time I pole.

I’m a bit nervous training split grip so I don’t do it often. I think I need to work on strengthening my forearms because that’s where I usually feel it.

• Baudelaire

January 15, 2018 at 4:05 am

There are lots of great wrist exercises in this article – https://melnutter.com/2017/09/16/wrist-care/
    I’m always super careful even with training handstands. So many people in my family have carpul tunnel and have had to have their wrists fused. I’m pretty sure pole and aerial training has helped keep mine strong, but it’s always pays to play it safe.