StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Why is training at home so much harder?

• Why is training at home so much harder?

Posted by allisonwonderland on January 22, 2018 at 11:56 pm

Hi guys!
    I’ve been poling for over four years and want to try a local competition this year. I’m studio trained and can hold my own in masters type classes. My dilemma is that when I try to pole at home I turn into a beginner again and sooner than later I’m going to have to use my home pole for comp practise. It’s just killing me how inverting, spin pole, shoulder mounts are eluding me when in the studio I’m strong.
    I’m always warming up first and my ceiling height at Home is under 8′. Maybe my motivation is lower because I don’t have my pole peers around like at class? Or do most people find it difficult to train on reallly short poles?
    I think I’m just looking for some support from other Home polers with this lol
    Thanks in advance!

allisonwonderland replied 6 years, 3 months ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • polegramma

January 23, 2018 at 12:35 am

Could it be that the diameter of your home pole is not the same as the diameter of the studio poles? And about the 8′ ceiling, for me seeing that ceiling so close really inhibits my inverts at home, it’s like my brain just doesn’t want my feet/legs to hit the ceiling.

• yrngrl

January 23, 2018 at 6:50 pm

I also struggle at home, I blame seeing the ceiling so close (and also the positive sort of peer pressure is missing!) My pole at home is in the basement so it’s only 7.5 feet.

• polegramma

January 23, 2018 at 7:12 pm

When I’m feeling really strong I can start from a “bridge” position next to the pole and invert, that way the ceiling doesn’t intimidate me. I think that’s because I am lower down to start with and don’t see the ceiling right in my face. You can see what I mean in one of Veena’s Nailed It invert lessons, and also a couple of days ago I think Veena posted a “no invert” Gemini technique? Kind of the same things. It takes a lot more strength though than inverting from an upright position using controlled momentum. Hope I explained it so you can figure out what I mean!

• Veena

Administrator
    January 24, 2018 at 5:14 am

Here are things that can help the home poler!

Find a good play list of music.
    Start one of my programs here, or pick a routine to work on each day.
    Follow a challenge (I do IG challenges)
    Reward yourself after you finish practice
    Make your pole space nice
    If you have a short pole work on low pole flow.

• hookedonpole

January 25, 2018 at 6:45 am

I do the same with certain moves. A lot of the time I can shoulder mount over and over when working on a move that starts with SM. But at home, I’m luck if I can manage a decent one, MAYBE two.

• allisonwonderland

January 25, 2018 at 12:41 pm

Thanks everyone!
    I was just feeling pretty down about it with comp season coming up! I’m glad I’m not alone with feeling slightly useless at home lol!
    I’m also Canadian and winter pole is it’s own beast of burden around these parts.

But thanks so much for your help and support