StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions What pole move is your “broccoli”?

• What pole move is your “broccoli”?

Posted by StrangeFox on July 21, 2019 at 9:42 pm

We all have a pole move we know we should work on or practice more often. Just like your parents always told you to eat your broccoli before you can have your dessert, your pole instructor tells you that you need to practice this move before you can move onto the other moves you want to learn, but you just can’t bring yourself to work on it as often as you should. Maybe it’s a move you find challenging, scary, or not very rewarding. This is the move your pole instructor brings up when you ask: “why can’t I do x,y,z, yet?” and it’s very name probably makes you roll your eyes in disgust when it shows up in the lesson plan. You would love to say “no thank you!” to this move because it’s just so tedious (or painful!) to practice, but you’re not willing to do this because then you’ll have to give up on a bunch of other cool moves.

How do you motivate yourself to practice this move? Have you ever grown to love your broccoli move(s)?

For me this move changes, but right now it’s ayesha. I learned this move a year ago and had hopes it would become a favourite but I quickly grew bored with it and stopped practicing it. I don’t find it’s a move that suits me and I have no idea what to do with it once I get into it. The only entries I can do are boring/weird-looking and it takes a great deal of concentration for me to stay balanced while I’m in it so I never really enjoy using it. It’s a whole lotta work for nothing, in my opinion.

One of my long term goals is cartwheel mount/handspring and I know getting more confident with ayesha will help me but goddamn… practicing this move feels like a chore! Apparently there are also a bunch of bad-ass things you can do with ayesha once you’ve mastered it and we’re going to start learning some pretty cool ayesha combos in class – I really want to learn these! So I’m forcing myself to practice this move at the beginning of my pole sessions while I’m not super tired, and so that I can’t conveniently “forget” about it. 😆

amelia2000 replied 4 years, 9 months ago 9 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Kirin Faye

July 21, 2019 at 10:34 pm

Ayesha is one for me. And handsprings. Hand stands. Any short if flip or drop. I mean, how can I still over fongi, but shrink from every flip ever invented? Lol. See my problem? Fongi, yes! Ayesha, handspring, flips, no.

For motivation, I make myself honestly give several attempts at one of these things, knowing that I will slowly get better. Video my progress. Keep my goal of a fongi in mind. Reward myself with other fun stuff that’s completely unrelated. Wash, rinse, repeat. I don’t know if I’ll ever get a fongi, but that’s my method of approaching it.

• Veena

Administrator
    July 21, 2019 at 11:18 pm

Drops are broccoli….my belly skin thanks me for avoiding them! haha

• StrangeFox

July 23, 2019 at 12:54 am

Haha! Glad to hear others have broccoli pole moves!

Kirin Faye – I also hate handstands! And elbow stands! I usually practice iguana mount instead of handstands/elbow stands and now I’m no longer allowed to do that. So while everyone else is rocking the stands I’m doing preps! LOL! Embarrassing… 😆 It’s OK if I never do a handstand but I still have to strengthen my wrists and shoulders and practice overhead shoulder engagement. I think ayesha/handsprings are kind of similar in feel to a handstand and that might be why they freak me out and I don’t like them.

Veena – oooh… yes! Drops hurt! I’m weird in that I don’t mind a drop where I’m upside down, but right side up drops are scary. I still haven’t mastered witch drop but inverted crucifix drop? Nah, that’s fine!

• JaneWilson

July 23, 2019 at 11:38 pm

Shoulder mounts. Ugh.

• Shegoesroundandround

July 25, 2019 at 11:19 pm

Freaking janeiro. I’m not great and handstands either myself.

• stephpapesh9289

July 26, 2019 at 1:48 am

Sadly, inverting. I just can’t do it and it’s so hard for me! I just don’t wanna!

• sugarkatie78

July 26, 2019 at 7:38 pm

Superman and handstands. I’m trying to get used to dropping into handstands, from the pole. Glad to see I’m not the only one who doesn’t enjoy them!

• Val Pepper

July 27, 2019 at 6:39 pm

Everything at this point hahaha. I’m a beginner and can barely hold myself up.
    I see that the name of the moves are important… i should start writing them down.

• amelia2000

July 29, 2019 at 7:40 pm

Glad to hear I’m not the only one to hate handstands (apart from exiting CAR). And static poling is one for me (I hate static spins, I either slip down too fast or have no momentum).