StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions What is your easiest way of following an already choreographed routine?

• What is your easiest way of following an already choreographed routine?

Posted by Khbnk3666 on June 3, 2021 at 4:14 pm

I have found so many beautiful choreographed dances on YouTube that I would love to replicate however I am struggling to follow along and remember the routine so I was wondering how do you guys find the easiest way to remember and replicate?

Do you watch and follow along? Write it down first? Draw pictures? Ect?

Thank you so much!

amelia2000 replied 2 years, 10 months ago 5 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Ninalina

June 4, 2021 at 9:58 am

What I do is break the piece up into smaller sections. Maybe start out by learning the first 4 sets of 8. Or learning the first 20-30 seconds of music. Watch that first section over and over, use the slow motion function if you can, maybe write down the moves. Then start doing them along with the video until your mind and body start to remember.

Once you feel familiar with that first part, move on to the next section. Then practice together the first and second sections until those feel comfortable. By doing smaller pieces of the dance it won’t be so overwhelming. Repetition is key!

• Veena

Administrator
    June 5, 2021 at 8:54 pm

I’m terrible with remembering others chorography!

Try what I do in the lessons here, break it down into sections and if you can see it in slow motion that’s helpful. If they’ve done a voice over I find that most helpful.

• monica kay

June 5, 2021 at 9:45 pm

You can slow down the playback speed on youtube videos by going the the settings button (it looks like a gear)
    Maybe that would help– in addition to the aforementioned comments!

• amelia2000

June 9, 2021 at 7:59 pm

Omg I never knew you could slow down speed of youtube videos haha
    Thanks Monica!
    I try to write down the elements I recognise so I don’t need the video, then try to link the elements myself (and stuff I can’t name or remember watch over and over and try until I’ve got it)

But struggling with choreos is why I prefer to freestyle