StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions What is safe to do on the pole with Diastasis Recti?

• What is safe to do on the pole with Diastasis Recti?

Posted by BlithePoler on June 3, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Hi again. So I definitely have Diastasis recti. About 2 fingers wide about medium depth all the way up and down my abs. Im going to get a binder to wear that will pull my muscles together and allow the fascia to heal and Ive been learning to engage my transverse abdominis so i dont become dependent on my wrap. I havent been poling, but I want to soo bad! What moves do you think are okay for me to do and what do you think I should absolutely avoid?? Thanks for the help!

Phoenix fire bird replied 3 years, 11 months ago 11 Members · 19 Replies
  • 19 Replies
  • Kobajo84

June 3, 2014 at 10:12 pm

Abdominal fascia does not heal without surgical intervention. Have you been diagnosed and undergone diagnostics of a qualified practitioner? Your primary care provider should have given you a referral for a surgeon. Your surgical consult is the person would be able to further assess the area and determine the extent of treatment.

• BlithePoler

June 3, 2014 at 11:51 pm

Kobajo84 I appreciate your advice 🙂 Im really just trying to get some feedback on ideas for moves that wont scrunch my abs up or cause me to twist too much,as this will aggravate my condition.
    I searched google for “can i heal diastasis recti without surgery” and Ive found information out there that offers alternatives to surgery. For instance check out this article http://mutusystem.com/diastasis-recti-test-what-works-and-what-to-avoid.html or diastasisrehab.com. What do you think, pretty inspiring right?

hmm maybe pirouettes would be okay…

• Kobajo84

June 4, 2014 at 9:06 am

You have to be careful with self diagnosing and what you read on the internet. The site you provided is not HONcode certified (http://www.hon.ch/HONcode/Conduct.html?HONConduct298987), which basically means the information on the site is not medically approved. I would say the type of question you are asking is really more of a question appropriate for a licensed medical professional that has physically assessed you and your condition and in fact been able to verify your diagnosis. They can give you a better assessment as to what moves you can do that are safe based on your condition. It would be negligent for anyone to give you tips on moves because you are referring to a medical condition. Anything medical related here on this site really should be discussed with your physician.

• Krista Bocko

June 4, 2014 at 9:16 am

Yes, you should talk to a dr. I have had it and it’s corrected (no surgery), just through time and strengthening. don’t know if yours is caused by pregnancy, but this site helped me: http://www.befitmom.com/diastasis_recti.html

• Veena

Administrator
    June 4, 2014 at 9:25 am

If it is abdominal separation from having a baby it can be improved with proper exercise!! I had a 4 finger separation and I’m down to 1 finger. I’m getting ready to go on the road and I’m on my phone but I can send you some great links for exercises. And yes, have your midwife or dr confirm is normal Diastasis Recti. You are correct about not doing sit ups or too much twisting ab work. It is best to avoid working only the Rectus Abdominis and to focus on the Transverse for a while. 💜

• BlithePoler

June 4, 2014 at 11:11 am

Hi Ladies! Yes, mine is cause from pregnancy. My sister in law checked me, she is a massage therapist, so she couldn’t really give me a whole lot of specifics on exercise. Im not in any pain, the gap is almost 2 fingers and Im strong enough to fully engage my transverse to close the gap while going about my daily activities (when I remember)and my navel isnt poking out severely, its just ever so slightly raised, its not a little bubble or anything. Which leads me to believe that this isnt a serious problem, but I will have my midwife confirm as soon as possible.
    So glad to hear from a few more people on here who have healed their Diastasis naturally. Its been very discouraging to discover the limitations I must impose on myself to make sure I dont make this problem a serious issue. Thanks sparrow for the link i will be sure to check that out! And Veena,yes, that would be wonderful! Thank you for offering your personal time to help me. There is so much information out there, its a little overwhelming, but its reassuring to get help from others who have been there and done it.

• Krista Bocko

June 4, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Yeah, i am glad that makes you feel better. Your midwife will be able to give you guidance. Most women aren’t even aware of it. Keep us updated!

• k8milly

June 4, 2014 at 3:07 pm

I had this too with both my children during pregnancy. Both babies were big and I had three finger gap. Like you I researched and read all about it and then took my time about exercising and now two years later, thankfully it is back to normal. Good luck, you’ll know what feels right for you x

• Veena

Administrator
    June 6, 2014 at 9:39 am

Ok I knew we had at LEAST one more discussion on this so I did a search here. This thread has some exercises that I was going to suggest for you so check it out. https://www.studioveena.com/forums/view/5016caf1-b4c4-484f-b317-7cb00ac37250

• Latina pole dancer

June 6, 2014 at 7:37 pm

I just had surgery for the same issue and to my knowledge, surgical procedure is about the only way to fix it. The doctor said it was actually bad for my abdominal muscles to force them with exercise. I also wonder after my tummy tuck how long I am going to have to wait to start pole dance again. Take it easy and ask what kind of exercise are less damaging for your abs.

• Kobajo84

June 6, 2014 at 9:47 pm

Augustina- with my surgery I was told 8-10 weeks. They said because I do both pole and aerial they wanted me to go the max and I ended up going 12 weeks just to be on the safe side. I had tenderness for almost a year after surgery. It just recently stopped bothering me a couple months ago which may have been right at the one year mark post-op. I’ve avoided moves like the meathook and no hands cradle for obvious reasons.

• Latina pole dancer

June 7, 2014 at 2:07 am

Kobajo84, thanks for the info!

• kellyk536049

April 15, 2015 at 6:17 pm

I had severe DR (4+ finger width separation) and I disagree with Kobajo84 and anyone else who claims that surgery is the ONLY option. I’ve successfully closed my DR to only 1 finger width and Im confident it will be completely closed soon…. this is from months of engaging my transverse abdominis CONSTANTLY and reiki healing. I researched online, consulted with physicians, consulted with DR experts, and purchased the MuTu system (however I didnt follow the MuTu program…. I learned that I totally suck at following programs!! but I do believe the MuTu system is helpful)…. Unfortunately it was the physicians who were least knowledgeable. Learning to measure the gap is key so you can measure your progress.

For pole dancing with DR, my suggestion is to engage your transverse abdominis, and avoid anything that you cant keep your transverse abdominis engaged while you do it. Spins are ok. Avoid inversions until significantly healed. As you become intimate with your abdominals and knowledgeable about what to avoid (planks, sit-ups, etc) then you’ll gain intuition about whether a certain pole moves are harmful to DR or not.

• BlithePoler

April 15, 2015 at 7:05 pm

Wow so its been almost a year since I posted this question and guess what!? I HEALED my DR by Hula Hoop Dancing! Whoot whoot! It can be done.

• Lucca Valentine

April 15, 2015 at 10:36 pm

That’s incredible!! Congrats!

Page 1 of 2