StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Weird issue with inverting

• Weird issue with inverting

Posted by Ultema on December 3, 2016 at 5:12 pm

Hi veneers!

I just passed into intermediate classes at my studio but now we’re suddenly expected to be able to chopper into inverts. There is no formal instruction on how to do this and I feel like I’ve watched every video available on the subject but I can’t seem to get the hang of it.

The weird thing is that I am extremely close to being able to tuck into a shoulder mount of all things without any momentum. One of the instructors said that i am absolutely not lacking in strength necessary, so it’s clearly technique.

One thing is I feel like when I’m in strong hold and try to crunch, it feels like I don’t have the “room” my abs need to realize they have to crunch up? Does that even make sense lol.

I’m kind of out of ideas, and looking for more. Any help is appreciated!

Ultema replied 7 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Veena

Administrator
    December 3, 2016 at 11:03 pm

Hi!

First thing, if you could post a video that would be helpful for us to see what’s going on.

Have you check out my tips for controlled momentum? https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/57466663-5f0c-4071-99f5-0047ac110006 Too often studios teach inverts from a deadlift, with no momentum…this is very difficult and doesn’t create a pretty flowing invert up to the pole. I like to step into my inverts, it saves effort and it’s pretty!

Also there’s a video of tips for basic inverts too https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/57466663-5f0c-4071-99f5-0047ac110006

I do live skype lessons as well if you’re interested.

• Ultema

December 4, 2016 at 1:28 am

I’m pretty sure I’ve watched them but it doesn’t hurt to have a refresher!

I’m currently taking time off since I stressed my back pretty badly constantly attempting a deadlift v or even a tuck, but I’ll do my best to remember to do a video some time, asap.

It’s just so weird to me that we’re excited to know how to do this with no formal instruction on how. And since all the routines are doing Gemini and Scorpio and switches, there’s a lot of down time where I’m not doing anything because i don’t want to screw up my back more.

I understand what’s supposed to happen but when I tuck up I feel like I have a heavy butt which is not the case when I attempt shoulder mount.

• Ultema

December 4, 2016 at 1:29 am

Expected to know* silly phone.

• Veena

Administrator
    December 4, 2016 at 4:53 pm

Studios don’t alway have the training needed to provide alternative options or teach people in a progressive way. It’s not that they’re bad, it’s that they don’t know what they don’t know..ya know? lol

If they’re ever interested I’ve got a free teach training course. It’s a big banner to the right if you’re on a computer…if on mobile device they’ed have to use the search for Veena Method to find it. You might find it interesting too, I’ve made it very easy to understand. Here’s the link for it https://www.studioveena.com/methods/letter

• Dona Chandra

December 5, 2016 at 10:31 pm

Sorry to hear of your back injury. I always teach a half chopper first and even before that, I teach straddle lifts from the floor. It took me well over a year to get my chopper and its still my nemesis! Ask the instructor at your studio if she can spot you into a chopper. This will help you more easily lift your hips up and support your back at the same time. Feel free to PM me on fb with any questions. Im happy to help if I can 🙂

https://www.facebook.com/donachandrasquires.chicksrockacro

• Ultema

January 3, 2017 at 5:23 pm

I just wanted to report that after 2 1/2 weeks of rest, I can chopper. IT AIN’T PRETTY but that’s what time and practice is for! It seems that I just really needed the rest.

Thanks to everybody who helped out and Happy New Year!