StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Weight Loss After 50

• Weight Loss After 50

Posted by Kellye Perkins on October 13, 2015 at 8:21 am

Thought I might share my weight loss journey to encourage those folks who want to lose weight that it is possible to do so after age 50 without pills or medical procedures. This picture was taken on my birthday December 22nd, 2009. I weighed in at 173 lbs. They had a biggest loser contest where I work and I decided to play along. I chose the South Beach Diet for my eating plan and took up Belly Dancing for my exercise plan. I gave up sugar, alcohol, soda (including diet soda)and most refined white flour products. Yes!!! It was working. Lost 8 lbs the first 2 weeks and then steadily lost about 2 lbs per week until I hit 132 lbs and stayed there for 3 years. Then I took up pole fitness and gained weight (muscle)! I now fluctuate between 135 and 137 and do enjoy a small handful of chips and small piece of chocolate as a daily treat. At 5’6″ with a medium frame I keep my calorie intake to around 500 calories at each meal breakfast, lunch, and supper. I add an additional 300 calories in snacks/treats over the course of the day to total around 1800 calories per day. This seems to be work well for me. I work in an office setting sitting on my keester all day and working with women who drink big gulp soda’s and doughnuts and candy so the temptation is there but I feel even better not sharing their treats and sticking with my personal fitness plan. The way to winning the battle of the bulge is persistence and tenacity and always keeping your goal in front of you never allowing other people’s habits to sway you. Stand strong:)

Kellye Perkins replied 7 years, 1 month ago 9 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • dlberg

October 14, 2015 at 1:43 pm

Thank you SO much for sharing this. Very inspiring! I’m 45 and also sit on my butt all day at work, which makes it tough! I used to weigh 204 and am down 35 pounds with sensible eating (most of the time!), boot camp classes and pole. My goal weight is just about where you are now, so reading your story is a push to work harder on my diet.

• Veena

Administrator
    October 14, 2015 at 4:12 pm

Thank you for sharing with us!!!!!!

• honolulusushi53412

November 23, 2015 at 4:09 am

So happy to hear of your weight loss. I am close to you agewise and have dropped the bad foods and built up upper body strength as a result. Thank you for showing weight loss and pole exercise can be possible at any age. So proud of you.

• Saphyre

November 24, 2015 at 1:30 am

I’m 51. I was always thin was I was younger, but after 45 my weight became an issue. In the last 3 months I have gained 10 pounds. Hormonal fluctuations and the aging process makes everything so much harder! Thank you for sharing!!

• Stacia0330

November 24, 2015 at 1:46 am

Awesome! I’m so glad to her you don’t starve yourself, either!! Congratulations on all your hard work and on achieving such a wonderful personal goal 🙂

• Phoenix Hunter

September 21, 2016 at 4:29 pm

Ummmm no, no nut of India. Don’t give advice like that here. It’s not welcome

• Suzanna

September 25, 2016 at 4:38 am

Congratulations! What a lovely story it is. I believe we can get fit at any age. If we eat healthy, mostly natural foods, and help our body to balance the hormones and everything naturally, that is the best way… I am 51 years old, plant-based (mostly raw), eat a lot of foods, so I always have a lot of energy for training and life… don’t eat any processed foods at all. It’s become so normal to me to live this way, that I do not feel deprived at all. I want to snack on fruits instead of unhealthy snacks. I think that is the way—eat like our grandparents used to… simple, back na nature… eat plants, many of them.

• Emilywellsperritt

September 25, 2016 at 5:33 pm

Congratulations to all you goddesses for making such positive changes after 50! And I’m so glad to hear that I’m not the only 50+ woman who has taken up pole dancing fitness. At 56, I’m a runner, cyclist, and yoga instructor. I am also a professional bodyworker and own a holistic wellness center. My daughter introduced me to pole dancing and pole fitness several months ago. Because of my age and because I’ve had several traumatic injuries to my right shoulder and hand, I wasn’t sure I’d be able to do anything on a pole. But I love it! I’m making slow progress, but I am making progress, and my right hand is stronger and has a better range of motion than I ever expected it would after its injuries. And I love Veena’s instruction. I joined a local pole studio, and I love that as well, but there are many things they don’t have time to address in class. I realized that if I wanted to develop any kind of skill that I would need to get my own pole and practice at home, so I did! I’d love to perform at some point in the distant future…maybe when pole dancing becomes a part of the Senior Olympics…:-)