StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Two Poles in Two Rooms – Advantageous or Wasteful?

• Two Poles in Two Rooms – Advantageous or Wasteful?

Posted by StrangeFox on November 23, 2017 at 5:49 am

How many of you own two poles and what’s the advantage to having two poles (different finish, and different diameter)? Or have you had 2 poles at some point and found it was a waste of money?

My fiance came to watch me freestyle on the weekend and along with realizing it’s super hard to pole with the low ceiling and consoling me while I picked glass out of my big toe (I put my foot through one of the ceiling lights while shoulder mounting) he has decided I need a taller pole. Now that our cat with arthritis no longer cares about the spare room, he wants me to buy another pole and put it up in that room. Okay, so maybe this is more of a blessing than a problem but I wanted to ask around here for some opinions because I feel this is being a bit wasteful in my situation.

My first solution was just to move to the taller room, but he likes that I have my basement lair (likes the look of it, and that I’m not playing loud music right next to him all the time). My second solution was to put up two permanent mounts but he hates that idea and is convinced I’m going to cause thousands in damage. To be fair, our joists are also too narrow. 🙁 He doesn’t want me constantly putting the pole up and down because he’s worried about my safety, and in the long run he wants us to move to a bigger place where I’ll be able to put my two poles up side by side (one spinny, one static). I get that he’s being supportive and that’s wonderful, but I’m just worried one pole is going to become a neglected waste of money. In your opinion would this be a sound investment or frivolous one?

KungFuPuddyTat replied 6 years, 2 months ago 8 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • pr1nc3ss

November 23, 2017 at 9:59 pm

I have two poles and use them both. The silicone pole I use in the winter and the titanium grip in the summer. I will say that poling with taller ceilings is way different than lower ceilings. The pole gives/flexes quite a bit. If you feel you are going to use both rooms and poles its not a waste of money.

• MdawWat

November 24, 2017 at 1:37 am

Full disclosure I might be a little biased since what you are describing is my current setup, but I think the second pole might be a good investment for you. There might be times that you want to turn up the music and dance without bothering him, and he wouldn’t need to feel guilty about watching you haul the pole down to the basement to do that. I helped assuage some of my guilt about getting another pole by buying a different type than the one I already had as well.

• DianneF

November 24, 2017 at 1:38 am

If it were just a matter of static versus spinny, then you could get another pole that spun and you could lock off. Other questions to consider include how often your spare room might be used for visitors, and whether you still need to be able to pole while they are there ? I have two poles. One is an 8′ one inside, in a nicely climate controlled room, all set up for poling. The other is in an outside garage, but is over 10′. Both are spinny poles which can be locked off for static ( which I rarely do ). Both areas are great but different, and I don’t consider it a waste at all. Extra height is awesome… but so is an area which can be totally your own. What a lovely dilemma 🙂

• StrangeFox

November 24, 2017 at 3:58 am

Thanks so much for the input everyone! It’s good to know I wouldn’t be “crazy” or out of the norm (well, for a pole dancer anyway) for having two poles. 😀

I have an X-Pert, which is static and spinny, so I’d be getting another one of those but a different finish and different diameter. Our spare bedroom doesn’t have extremely tall ceilings (approx 7ft 7inches, which is pretty average), but it’s much, much taller than the basement ceiling. There’s also a lot more room for floorwork, however, my fi warned me he’s going to be putting something in there for himself at some point – a massage chair.

The room isn’t used for all that much at the moment, and in addition to it being a pole space he may use it from time to time as well. He doesn’t want to take down the basement pole because he thinks the basement will look silly without it now that I’ve done it all up. As far as “problems” go this is a pretty good one to have!

• hannimator

November 24, 2017 at 9:09 am

I don’t think theres anything wrong with it… if you want it and your husband is fine with it! I have a pole in the conservatory (x-stage lite) but its a bit too cold now, and I’m saving up to get a silkii attachment in the new year. I also have a pressure mounted xpole in the spare bedroom, which is a bit smaller (if I wear heels I kick the walls) and also cieling is a bit lower. I love it! I can’t wait for summer again for the conservatory! It’s so nice to do yoga and pole in a sunny room. Also one pole is 45mm and the other is 40mm so I get to play on both sizes! I guess on thing as well is I got the second pole for £100 from my friend who was moving to Australia and needed rid of it, so maybe try get a second hand one rather than splurging £200 on a brand new one. I think that will help with the “wasteful” feelings a bit.

• Veena

Administrator
    November 24, 2017 at 5:06 pm

I have 2 pole spaces with 2 different sizes and love it, if you have have 2 sizes as in diameters it’s great!

About the permanent mounts…..I LOVE THEM best thing ever!! They make the pole feel more secure, and if you’re talking about xpoles, the spin mode is much smoother and faster using a mount. There is no risk of it slipping. Setting it up is so much faster than with the dome. Regardless of how you mount your pole they need to be checked every single time you dance on them. We have been renting homes for years and years and we put up the permanent mounts without issue. Just fill the holes when you take the mount down. If your joist are strong enough to hang a fan from you can put up a mount.

My husband likes to place a flat block of wood between the ceiling and the mount, drilling the wood into the joist, and then the mount into the wood and joist. This way the mount can’t rub and push into the sheet rock.

• StrangeFox

November 25, 2017 at 1:27 am

Thanks for your awesome feedback everyone! I feel a bit better about this now. I was feeling frivolous for even considering this but my fiance told me I won’t get the room unless I get another pole (what an ultimatum, huh?) and….I want to climb!!! Initially he didn’t really “get” pole dancing but after bringing him to a couple of shows and letting him watch me freestyle he’s getting really into it.

Veena – I’m really trying to sell him on the permanent mounts! That’s an excellent idea putting the piece of wood on the ceiling over the joist. He’s very, very against any “unnecessary” modifications to the house that involve power tools and is still upset with me for cutting into the chair rail in the basement. Haha!

Hannimator – your conservatory sounds so lovely! I would be getting a different type of pole, which I’m using to help assuage my guilt (somewhat)! The way my fiance sees it, making it as comfortable as possible for me to pole at home will keep me from spending all of my time and money at the studio. 🙂

• StrangeFox

December 24, 2017 at 5:55 am

Update: finally started to break my new pole in and it’s awesome. Chrome is a weird metal, though. It feels almost “greasy” when it’s cold but it sticks pretty well when it’s warm. I find hip holds are less pinchy and thus easier to do on chrome, however, split grip is really hard. I’m glad I went with having 2 pole rooms. The one upstairs is not all that great for freestyling in (a bit cramped) but much better for inversions and climbs. The one in the basement is better for freestyling but a pain to do inversions on due to the low ceiling.

• Ldadams426622

December 24, 2017 at 3:31 pm

Veena, Putting wood between the ceiling and dome mount is a good idea because the dome mount pushed a round circle into the popcorn ceiling where I used to live. I now have a stand alone stage lite and I love it. I gave my dome pole to charity!

• KungFuPuddyTat

January 7, 2018 at 1:39 am

I’ve got one xpole in the lounge room it does spin or static. And I have two poles in my hubby’s man cave which is a shed turned fitness room set up with competition distance between them, one spin & one static. I work shifts and was keeping everyone awake wanting to pole late at night in the house after coming off night shifts. So instead I work out in the shed. But in summer it regularly gets over 45 degrees Celsius at our house (which is 113f) so I workout with the air conditioner on. Each has their purpose.