StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Twisted grip? Yes or no?

• Twisted grip? Yes or no?

Posted by Nat on October 27, 2018 at 6:27 am

So I am working towards my ayesha (yay) and in the beginning my instructor suggested twisted grip and I decided I really do not like it. It feels weird and uncomfortable. I spoke to her and now we are just focusing on true grip (I think that is what it’s called). My question is will not wanting to do twisted grip stop me from doing certain moves. I watched on ig and many people seem to start moves like phoenix (million years before I am ready for it 😀 ) with twisted grip as its “easier”. What are your opinions?

StrangeFox replied 5 years, 5 months ago 7 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Nat

October 27, 2018 at 6:28 am

That is the grip I am using at the moment for prep x

• Sp4c3Warrior

October 27, 2018 at 8:18 am

I am using true grip too for the same reason as you. Usually people who begin with twisted grip stay with it forever.

• emmasculator

October 27, 2018 at 9:15 pm

I dont think it will stop you from certain moves ad many moves has grip variations. For example theres a cup grip Phoenix. I will say it can be useful as a transition grip for colin certain combos. I personally do not really like twisted grip. It bothers my wrists but to each their own. I dont do twisted grip very often and i dont at all feel limited

• grayeyes

October 28, 2018 at 2:14 am

I don’t use it very often either and I don’t find it limiting. I have learned ayesha, etc. using true grip.

• Nat

October 28, 2018 at 7:28 am

Thank you! That is reassuring. I glad that I put my foot down and refused it after few weeks of trying and not feeling good in it. If that means my ayesha takes longer let be it to be honest. ☺

• emmasculator

October 28, 2018 at 7:33 am

@Nat Oh you will be just fine without it. Not every move is for everybody type and I feel that is especially true of twisted. I also feel that back in the day it exploded in popularity and people didnt teach it properly so there were a lot of shoulder injuries,because in that grip it can be easier to dump your weight into your joints. I do it maybe once a month and I’m dont at all feel like I’m missing out or falling behind the other dancers who love it

• Veena

Administrator
    October 28, 2018 at 9:41 pm

You don’t have to learn TG. 🙂 The only time I use it is when I’m inverted and the TG arm is below me (so arm at my side and not overhead). This keeps any pinching off the shoulder joint.

• Suzanna

October 29, 2018 at 7:02 pm

I am learning Ayesha right now too. I am about where you are, I can do the D/pike (finally) and extended Butterfly, on my own. I also only use true grip right now, and if they do twisted grip in the studio, I tell them “pardon me, but I am not ready for twisted grip right now, may I do true grip?” and of course they agree. They cannot force me to what I am not ready for (or my shoulders are not ready for).

Here is an EXCELLENT explanation of all the twisted, true, and cup grips pros and cons… this is part 1, but then you will also find part 2 and part 3 there on the blog. A great read. Enjoy your true grip 🙂

https://www.thepolept.com/shoulder-health/is-twisted-grip-really-that-bad/

• Veena

Administrator
    October 30, 2018 at 12:33 am

Yes, I think it’s important to note that ANY type of split grip inverted or upright can be bad for you! There are many things to factor in so it’s not a one grip fits all or every level even.

• StrangeFox

October 30, 2018 at 2:47 am

Omg….freaking love this, Suzanna! I’ve been looking for an explanation like this, and some arm/hand exercises for handsprings/cartwheel mounts.

I’m another that won’t do twisted grip. I know I’m lazy and will hang off of that shoulder if given the option. I actually love cup grip and try to use it wherever I can. Plus my hands are small so I’m pretty much always in cup grip anyway. I don’t think refusing to do twisted grip will limit you in any way. Most of the times I see TG it’s only being used as an aide to get into a move with greater ease or for wow-factor and it isn’t actually necessary for the move itself.