StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Trying to get back into dance after surgery

• Trying to get back into dance after surgery

Posted by Dolce Vita on October 21, 2015 at 10:04 am

Hey guys,
    So I’m having a little trouble recently. I had surgery about 4 months ago (it was bunion surgery—pretty extensive stuff, also very painful surgery). It involved cutting bones, tissues, and a tendon. Anyway, I’m feeling better. My foot is doing better, but it’s no where near normal. The flexibility in my toe has disappeared and the staple & pin in my toe can give me pain off and on. It usually takes about a year before the foot is completely healed (it’ll still bruise and swell from time to time until then).

Obviously I had to take some time off for the surgery. I’ve been back on the pole some, in fact I can count how many times on my fingers. I don’t feel in tuned with myself or dancing for some reason. I used to wear heels when dancing, and since that isn’t an option- and probably not an option for a long while, I don’t feel as sexy as I once did.

I also just started a new full time job, so on top of spending time with the family, taking care of the house, and other normal daily activities, I find it difficult to have the energy or time to pole. I think it’s more of an energy thing because I could squeeze in half an hour here and there if I was really up to it.

I think this is another set back for me with the pole. In the beginning I was progressing pretty fast, then I broke my foot, and was off the pole for several months. Then I had the surgery and it just feels like yet another set back.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of feeling? I have heard of people taking breaks from pole and what not. I still want to pole, very much so. I’m just having a hard time connecting with myself and the pole. Not sure if I’m scared to find out what strength I’ve lost or if it’s just some sort of mental block. I think a part of me is upset that I keep having to take breaks from the pole. (Like, come on body, get it together here.)

I’m in real need of motivating thoughts and love from the pole community.

Maybe I should start from the beginning, start simple and focus on getting my form back. I’d like to start stretching again, working towards splits. Even thought about starting yoga but just not sure where to begin with that.

I’m feeling a little stressed, or maybe even a little worn. I feel like I need to dance, get in touch with myself and get back to expressing and letting some of these energies and thoughts out.

Thanks for listening, as always.

DV

beginner2 replied 7 years, 9 months ago 6 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Stefana of Light

October 21, 2015 at 11:39 am

Dance where you are sister !! you do not need any apparatus’ other than that fantastic body of yours. Knee high socks make me feel sexy, maybe that could replace the heels πŸ™‚ first we have to hear what the body needs and then “it” can get it together! I had to learn this over and over again this last year. Yoga would be an awesome outlet for you and an inlet that will comfort you time and time again. You are and amazing dancer, a sweet spirit and you’ve got the fire!! Set your world ablaze through limitation!

• Runemist34

October 21, 2015 at 11:47 am

Hey!
    Always good to hear from you πŸ™‚
    I know how it goes when you get injured or have a “life event” that seems to take you further away from your goals. I’m currently dealing with a shoulder injury- off work for a week and a half, couldn’t even clean my house, just sat around being miserable the whole time. I’m bad at being injured, and I think that’s true for many people. We all have a difficult time taking time “off” to heal, because we’re constantly told that such things are for “weak people,” or that there is simply too much to do.
    But, the truth is that you had surgery, a painful and serious procedure that, while perhaps not life-threatening, can still be life-changing. Reminding yourself that you are totally allowed to have down-time, and that you must heal now so that you need not take more time off later, is important. You aren’t like anyone else, and NO ONE can tell you whether you’re doing your own healing right or not, or if you’re “tough enough.” You must heal you!

As for feeling sexy… my own feeling of sexiness in most situations does come and go. I’ve noticed that, especially for women, we tend to attach the feeling of sexiness to objects that are intended to “enhance” what we look like in certain ways (such as bras, lingerie, high heeled shoes, sometimes makeup, or our hair, certain types of clothing, our fingernails, our skin and eyes… the list could go on…). The truth, though, is that it’s US that is sexy!
    But, you are also tired, healing, and feeling like you’re floundering a bit. These things aren’t often sexy!
    So, my suggestion there would be either to take “sexy” completely off the table for a bit- focus on other things, like feeling fluid, feeling strong, feeling like you’re getting a good workout. Or, to break down the idea of “sexy” for yourself- figure out what it is about YOU, and you alone, without any adornments, that makes you feel sexy. Is it your legs? The way you move? Your hair-flips? Find other ways to define it, and then pursue them! See how many definitions of sexy you can come up with, and how many ways you can find that feeling.

It does sound like you’re taking a lot on, with work and family and your healing and everything. Remember to be gentle with yourself- life changes! And your needs will change with it. Sometimes, maybe you’ll only get on the pole once a week, or even less. Sometimes, maybe you’ll pole two or three times a week! Obviously, consistency is key when you want major progress, but ANYTHING is better than nothing at all! And, as you get more used to the new routine of work, and as your energy returns and your foot heals (because, trust me, chronic pain or a long-term injury will sap your strength far more than anyone seems to give it credit for), you’ll get more mental and emotional energy for pole, too.

So take it easy πŸ™‚ You’re doing well!

• Runemist34

October 21, 2015 at 11:49 am

Oh I forgot!
    Yoga is super easy to get into, but I also had that issue of “where do I start?!”
    I started with this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBu-pQG6sTY

She’s a great instructor, the 30 days is free on Youtube (and you can do it over and over and over again!), and she has other stuff on her channel, too, if you’re feeling like you need something else.

• Dolce Vita

October 21, 2015 at 12:59 pm

Stefana of Light,
    Thank you for replying and being so insightful. You’re spirit is so contagious! I think I will try the knee high socks! What a clever idea! I never even thought of using socks. I need to get back on the pole and just let my feelings pour out. I think my body has been telling me to go and dance, but I guess mentally, I’ve been nervous about getting back out there.
    You’re so sweet & I always feel better when I talk to you.

• Dolce Vita

October 21, 2015 at 1:10 pm

Runemist34,
    I really needed to hear that! My brain knows that I had a serious procedure, but I guess a part of me is downing myself because I needed the surgery in the first place. I was born with the bunion and have had to live with painful feet my whole life. I think a part of me is irritated that I had to take a step back, do what I needed for my body, and by doing that, I created a hostility for doing it because I couldn’t dance, or because I was in bed for weeks.

Which now that I think about it, it’s ridiculous and sort of silly. I should be glad I had the surgery, because I won’t have to have it later on in life. I’m young and fairly healthy, it was the perfect time for me to have the surgery.

It was def life changing. It was the first surgery I had ever had and it made me slow down and heal. Which is a SLOW process. I was expecting the healing process to be quicker. The surgeon had explained that usually you can walk after a day or two of the surgery. I couldn’t walk for about three weeks. It was more painful than I could ever describe (which he also mentioned was pretty painless surgery). I got frustrated because I trusted that he was telling me the truth. Sort of silly as well, because even though he does the surgery constantly, everyone DOES heal differently. It turned out my surgery was a little more complicated than he originally thought and it added about another half hour in surgery. Luckily, the nurses were great and everyone took care of me. I also had my in laws and my husband’s aunts stay with me for a whole month. They cooked and helped clean and I was very blessed for it.

Yes, exactly! Healing isn’t an exactly sexy process, lol. I feel more like myself now. I guess I associated heels with dancing and now that I can’t wear them, I feel a bit lost with it.

Thank you for the great advice. I think I will focus on flexibility and flow for a while. I’ll probably feel sexy while doing both of those anyway.

I will def be taking it slow, might start at the beginning again and train that way. If I could dance twice or three times a week, I think I’d be doing great! I am still adjusting but as I’m getting used to the job and the schedule, I am prioritizing much easier. Thank you for the kind words and the advice. It really helps to know I have support of fellow polers and that there are some who can relate and understand what I’m going through. Thanks for the link on youtube! I will be looking into it!! πŸ™‚

I hope your shoulder gets better very soon! Remember you’re not alone πŸ˜‰

• bigkitty1

October 21, 2015 at 3:27 pm

Dolce Vita,
    Good to see you again here. Thank goodness the worst is over. Now just be patient with the healing process. Your body was very strong before. You can get back to it! Maybe just putting an outfit on will help to entice you. When I injured my back I was soooo devastated because i was unable to pole but I continued to swim and stretch basic yoga weekly. Then when I was ready to get back to pole , I religiously did Veena’s strengthening and conditioning lessons and made it a part of my routine. Get your outfit on!!! that always helps me especially when I’m not feeling motivated , and just slither around on the floor with some sexy leg and floor work!!!! You got this!!! 💜

• bigkitty1

October 21, 2015 at 3:30 pm

Runemist34,
    Hope you are on the mend and that your shoulder is feeling better😊

• Veena

Administrator
    October 21, 2015 at 7:26 pm

It’s nice to see you back!! Sometimes I feel like the queen of “getting back” on the pole. I’ve been off again on again since starting, what must be like 8 years ago! I understand the sadness and frustration of feeling behind or like you’ve lost what you had…but trust me, if you put your mind to it, it will come back!!!

One of the best things you can do is start from the beginning, even though I’ve been at it for years if I’ve had significant time off without any other form of exercise I start with the basics.

Also avoid looking at what you can’t do. It comes back and usually fairly quickly once you’ve already had it!! I still do the conditioning and strength work listed in the lessons. Don’t focus too much on what someone who started at the same time is doing either, you’ve had time off and everyones journey is totally different! You might wanna read the teacher training course to see more suggestions for off pole training, lots of other good stuff in there as well. https://www.studioveena.com/methods/letter

Try working on things you may not have before, like floorwork or low pole flow. It’s a lot of fun and usually no foot is needed!

Wishing you a very speedy recovery xoxo

• Dolce Vita

October 21, 2015 at 10:47 pm

bigkitty12560, Your comment made me smile. Thank you so much for the kind words. I think I will try that! An outfit will help, for sure. Maybe some floor work is a good start too. Thank you for thinking of me and taking time out to reply. I hope all is well with you.

• Dolce Vita

October 21, 2015 at 10:51 pm

Veena,
    Nice to hear from you πŸ™‚ It can be so frustrating trying to “get back”. I’m glad that I’m not the only one who has experienced this.
    I figured starting at the beginning could really come in handy. I’ll feel accomplished as I go and I won’t be over doing it either.
    That’s totally true. Everyone really does progress differently. I’ve technically been doing pole for about 1.5 years, but out of the 1.5 years, I’ve taken about a year off! HAHAHAAHAH! So I really can’t compare to anyone else at all. Yep, I think pole flow and floor work will be a great area for me to concentrate on. It’ll feel new and it’ll make me feel sexy πŸ™‚
    Thank you for your encouragement, I really appreciate it.

DV

• beginner2

July 25, 2016 at 7:17 am

Hi Dolce, I’m thinking of a bunion surgery and I feel it is scary. How are your feet now? I had an accident many years ago on my foot and it took several years until pains completely went.