StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Tattoo’s and antibiotics

• Tattoo’s and antibiotics

Posted by Lyme Lyte on July 10, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Hi ladies, Lyme stopping by for a quick message. Please don't get a tattoo if you are currently taking antibiotics, have taken antibiotics in the past few months or will be taking any in the upcoming months.  My tattoo I got a few months back is TERRIBLE!  It was done by a well known local artist and I did proper aftercare. Upon researching Lyme disease and tattoos, I am finding information on how poor the body will respond to a new tattoo if your on antibiotics. So, don't waste your time or money…..just wait a few months longer for a tattoo that will last!  🙂

mjbarlowes5362 replied 5 years, 4 months ago 6 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • Dancing Paws

July 10, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Oh no! So you have to get it retouched?

• Lyme Lyte

July 10, 2012 at 4:15 pm

OMG, I am not even sure if that will help.  It has actually shrunk (thank goodess I have before and now pictures) and the whole thing has raised up.  When I run my finger around it you can feel all the edges.  The antibiotics tried to get the tattoo pushed out of my skin.  I don't know if I dare get it retouched, because not the skin looks and feels like leather.  🙁

• Saphyre

July 10, 2012 at 5:29 pm

I know that antibiotics can have lots of interactions, but Wow! I've never heard of this one. So sorry for you!

• kgarner

July 11, 2012 at 2:38 pm

That sucks, but give it time. I have had adverse reactions with some of my tattoo work and all I can say is give it time, and take extra good care of the skin. My tattoos take a long time to heal and the ski almost feels chapped for awhile, I use nivea cream moisturizer three times a day and in time the skin feels normal again. I agree with not getting it. Touched up, at least not yet. No since in fixing something that is raised and probably not. Completely healed and settled into the skin.

• fyulaba

July 12, 2012 at 11:09 am

This is definitely true!! I’m fairly heavily tattooed and frequently on antibiotics and didn’t make the connection until halfway into my sleeve!! Wish I had this post back then! Frustrating isn’t it

• Lyme Lyte

July 12, 2012 at 11:25 am

So were u able to get ur tatts fixed? Did the leather like skin evver smooth out?

• fyulaba

July 12, 2012 at 11:35 am

It took quite some time but 80% of it settled into normal looking skin, and only then did I get them touched up (not on antibiotics of course!)

• fyulaba

July 12, 2012 at 11:40 am

I’ve also had issues with reacting to ink! Same artist and brand but certain shades seem to almost scar me! I have 2 tattoos that parts of it stayed raised and icky for over a year and a half but eventually smoothed out. When my immune system gets down even now just those parts swell up, its the strangest thing!

• Lyme Lyte

July 12, 2012 at 3:15 pm

UGH, thanks for the info….but when you did get them  touched up, did the color finally stay?

• fyulaba

July 12, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I’m not gonna lie its not perfect perfect but most people can’t tell unless I point it out and you look closely and even then its only a few very minor spots! So there is hope 🙂
    How long ago was yours done?

• Lyme Lyte

July 12, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Just a few months ago….i will be happy if it gets any better than it is now!

• fyulaba

July 12, 2012 at 9:26 pm

I think so! Like I said I had one that took a year and a half which is frustrating but I think you’ll be alright 🙂

• mjbarlowes5362

December 1, 2018 at 10:57 am

This post certainly rang some bells for myself,.I noticed recently that my arm tattoos, the latest which was finished around three months ago, had suddenly become raised and very itchy.
    At present I am taking Ibilex for an ingrown toe nail, so I am thinking that this is likely to be the cause.