StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Sweaty hands…. discouraged

• Sweaty hands…. discouraged

Posted by McKaila Kayanna on May 8, 2018 at 1:54 am

I have really sweaty hands when I pole and it gets worse the longer I pole. It is starting to get frustrating, because I am having issues stringing moves together without slipping and I am registered to compete in less than 1 month… I use dry hands, but I seem to sweat right through and keep having to apply it in a 1 hr practice. I have stopped using lotion that contains oil and only use corn huskers when my hands need it. This did help a bit. I tried using Tite grip and it worked for awhile, but now my hands seem “used to it” and it no longer really prevents slip. I am close to backing out of the competition because I don’t want to make a fool of myself on stage. Please help

McKaila Kayanna replied 5 years, 10 months ago 9 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Runemist34

May 8, 2018 at 4:28 pm

Hey there!
    This is actually a surprisingly common issue, and probably most of the videos you see online of great dancers staying up the pole forever have worked through similar problems!
    First, my biggest suggestion is not to use ANY lotion prior to pole dancing. I have actually changed my own routine, instead of putting any lotion on immediately after a shower, I do it before bed. This can really help!
    Second, there are so many different kinds of grip aids, and I actually have used a couple different kinds, depending on what I’m working on, what kind of pole I’m using, and the weather. Some only work a little bit, but I can still use them if I might be doing spins after a brief climb or inverted move. Others, I would never spin with! But, they are great for doing longer strings of aerial moves. My suggestion would be to test them out. Some can also be applied to the pole itself, thus saving you from immediately sweating it away.
    Third, of course, are other factors. For me, I live in a very humid climate, and during the summer, it’s hot! I sweat so much more, and often am quite limited in what I can train, or feel safe attempting. This can be helped with climate control, as well as lots of fans, and hand-washing (I will wash my hands a few times within an hour if it’s warm out). Taking into account the finish of your pole, as well as how hard you’re taxing your body, can also affect your sweating.
    I have known others to get pole dancing gloves, especially for people with hyperhydrosis, which can be a big challenge for pole dancing.

For your upcoming competition, depending on the constraints of it, you might be able to do a little more of a low-flow, where you stay lower on the pole, and only climb up for moves you are very sure of, sweating or not. This can still look very impressive, and doesn’t necessarily have to be super sexy if that’s not your thing. Keeping things low often also requires more control and strength!

Good luck, keep trying things, and don’t give up!!

• tielz18896

May 9, 2018 at 1:13 am

I have sweaty hands that get worse when I am nervous learning new moves. I was getting very discouraged. I have used Dry Hands, Mighty Grip, and a Lupit grip pad. The Lupit grip works the best for me. The pink side wipes on your hands. You use the black side to wipe onto the pole. I had to do this when I used my chrome poles which were just too slippery for my hands. I just purchased a brass pole and so far it makes a huge difference. I do still use a bit of the grip on my palms but not nearly as much. Before I was having to clean my hands with alcohol and reapply the grip aid constantly throughout my sessions. I do fine on the well used chrome poles at the studio, but the brass works better for me. I hope to one day compete, too. Don’t give up!

• dustbunny

May 9, 2018 at 3:28 am

Dirty Girl Poletice is great for sweaty hands! I would have quit long ago if it wasn’t for this product.

• Lydia Addams

May 9, 2018 at 4:15 am

Even without lotion, our skin produces its own natural oils. I like to wash my hands with Grip Clean before I pole. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017N9287I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_KsN8Ab280ZD8T
    I feel like my discovery of this soap has made a huge difference in my poling and how long my grip lasts. Some days I don’t even need Dry Hands anymore, and sweaty hands was a major problem for me in the beginning.

• hannimator

May 9, 2018 at 7:42 am

I have v sweaty hands. Like so that, I wasn’t able to progess in pole with spins or anything because I would slip instantly… and I didn’t seem to be able to improve grip strength because there was literally nothing to grip with!! About a year in I started using something called “Driclor” – its an extra strength anti perspirant, you put it on over night. I apply it to my hands. It is a bit of a pain to keep up with but seriously… my pole improved almost overnight once I started using it! I was able to do spins without instantly drop to the floor, and able to do more than 1 tuck in a row without sliding straight down. It’s also helped me at work too – no longer have a massive fear of shaking hands with people! I still instinctively wipe my hands down but thats out of years of habit XD
    All in all, that combined with dry hands (which I rarely need to use anymore unless I pole in the conservatory or its a perticularly humid day) is what helped me with my sweaty palms. Hope this helps!

• Ldadams426622

May 9, 2018 at 10:31 pm

I have a problem with sweaty hands too. I have tried everything including Dry Body wipes that you apply at night. I gave up on products and just use gloves. I just ordered the Driclor and I’m going to hope for the best. I’m thinking about getting a silicone pole because I think it might help me with my grip.

• LatinPoler

May 9, 2018 at 11:06 pm

I have sweaty hands too. Use a combination of Tite Grip and Dry hands. Tite Grip, you need to put it about 30 min before poling… that’s usually my warmup and conditioning, so if I’m poling at home I just put it when I’m going to pole. If I’m going to the studio, when I leave home. Then I put Dry hands on top as needed during my pole session. Also keep in mind, new moves, especially if they feel scary, are going to make you sweat more due to the stress. It will improve over time as you get familiar with those moves.

• Joey Payne

May 11, 2018 at 2:29 pm
  • Ldadams426622

May 17, 2018 at 7:25 pm

I received the Driclor and it’s powerful! My hands are much better now. Read the directions and don’t put it on spots that become too dry over time. I still want a silicone pole though.

• Ldadams426622

May 30, 2018 at 1:31 pm

I received my X-Pole Stage Lite Silicone pole and I’m very happy with it. I no longer need to wear gloves. I do need to rinse my hands with cold water and dry them a few times during my workout, but this is still an improvement. I do use the Dryclor at night.

• McKaila Kayanna

June 10, 2018 at 6:28 pm

Thanks everyone! I was able to use Tite Grip/Dry hands for my competition and it worked for training. I did get a little more sweaty during my performance, but it was much improved from where I was. I also stopped using lotion unless absolutely necessary. I think I want to try Driclor, but I can’t seem to find a hand lotion… I only see roll on formula. Is that what you are using?