StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Struggle with Ballerina

• Struggle with Ballerina

Posted by PoleAdventures on May 22, 2019 at 8:39 am

Hi Veeners
    i wanted to ask if anyone can help me.
    I struggle with all ballerina like moves. I saw a beginner version on cleo’s roch N Pole named spinning ballerina varation where you only hook your ankle on the pole and spin with your hip on the pole. Also the tutorials here are superclear but I really struggle with this move.
    I don’t know if it’s my flexibility on shoulder or side, or my lack of strength?? I also struggle for example with a juliet spin or reverse crab things?
    Has anyone some tipps for me for nailing this beautiful spins?

StrangeFox replied 4 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Veena

Administrator
    May 23, 2019 at 5:15 am

Do you have any video so we can see? This would help me pinpoint problem areas. All of the moves you listed require good shoulder strength and mobility also not all moves will work for everyone’s body.

• PoleAdventures

May 23, 2019 at 11:44 am

So what spin should I record? I think I start with the juliet or reverse grab, ballerina is hard to see what the hell I’m trying lol 🙂 While trying the ballerina I don’t understand how my body should go past the pole with hips and shoulders. when I try this from standing, only a “dry” try….I cannot reach my upper arm to the pole AND normally hold an upright position like in your videos. I feel like I’m in a strange way knotted around that pole 😉
    I ever feel like I’m totally lacking of strength on this moves, while I can easy pull up myself on the pole or climbing.

• Veena

Administrator
    May 23, 2019 at 2:31 pm

Video of all the moves you mentioned would be best. 😉

• amelia2000

May 26, 2019 at 12:09 pm

For ballerina, I would suggest practising crucifix twist and forward fold (both sides), as well as peter pan, as those moves train the flexibility side of ballerina.

• PoleAdventures

May 27, 2019 at 11:15 am

Thanks amelia!
    What is a crucifix twist? The normal crucifix then go to the side and forward? If you mean this, thats really not a problem form me (neither forward fold flexibility in general).

• StrangeFox

May 28, 2019 at 1:47 am

Is it the regular ballerina or the twisted ballerina you’re trying to do? I remember feeling something similar to what you described while trying to do the twisted ballerina. For me that was a back and shoulder flexibility issue.

As for reverse grab…I really don’t like it but I do work on it at my own pace at the studio. I don’t think it’s a move that is right for my body. I always get this horrible popping noise in my shoulder when I do it so I tend not to. I’m working on both strength and flexibility to see if that improves anything but I’m not a big fan of spins so who knows? The studio I go to has us work on one-handed chair spins before attempting reverse grab.