StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Static or spinning pole for beginner?

• Static or spinning pole for beginner?

Posted by santiagoup05 on March 10, 2015 at 12:45 am

I’m new to pole, 3weeks in and I’m trying to decide if its easier for a beginner to learn some of the basic spins, (like fireman, back hook, etc) on a static or spinning pole? I’ve been doing some of Veena’s conditioning lessons which have been great and that’s really starting to help with my strenght!!! Going forward as I work on getting stronger I’m trying to figure out what’s the best way… Any ideas??

Val Pepper replied 4 years, 8 months ago 7 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • gerfina84

March 10, 2015 at 1:53 am

Welcome to the world of pole 😃 I am doing pole for almost 6month. I have a x pole x-pert. Still more on static pole but decided to get static and spinning so I can switch later 😁 we have that one in our studio too 😊 hope this was a lil help for u 😃

• Yayo

March 10, 2015 at 3:21 pm

When I first started pole, I started on static. Once I felt more comfortable with my tricks I moved it to spin. Everyone is different. I know some ladies who did the reverse. Here are my thoughts… I would start with static. With spin you need more strength to hold on. And if you are just a beginner with no upper body, static helps you build it plus you have more control. There is also the fact of getting dizzy. I don’t know about you. But I didn’t get use to it at first and that makes it harder to try and learn something and be dizzy at the same time. I would say try both just to see how you feel but for me static was the way to go.

• RoMo

March 10, 2015 at 4:27 pm

I started poling almost a year ago. I have an x-pole at home and when I’m working on new moves, I prefer starting to learn them on spinning pole. Even without exerting any force, the pole does move around and it works on my sense of [or lack of] stability. I recently started working on the Caterpillar climb and while I can do it on static pole, I find that I still can’t do it on spinning pole. I know that part of the reason for this is that while I do the move on static pole, I do it VERY S-L-O-W-L-Y. VERY. And jerky. Spinning pole requires you to do the move quicker, smoother.
    In Hebrew there’s a saying, “Practice hard and you’ll have an easier time in battle.” I find that once I can nail a move on spinning pole, getting it on static is a breeze.

Good luck poling!

• Julianna Rose

March 10, 2015 at 10:29 pm

I’ve been poling for about half a year now, and for me personally I find that it is easier for me to learn and master a move on static, before I try it on spin mode. I love the ease and fluid motion that the spin mode provides, but I find that when I have my pole on spin mode it leaves less room for any mistakes or second guessing that I might have going into a move. Hope that helps!

• Veena

Administrator
    March 10, 2015 at 10:32 pm

If you have the opportunity learn both. As you can see in the lessons I teach both starting with static from standing, then static from walking and last the spinning pole variation. I use this method not because spinning pole is harder, but because, it often IS easier for new dancers to learn spins on spinning pole. Spinning pole spins are just holds and because of this, they often skip over learning static, the problem with skipping static is they never learn the proper timing or how to use the push and swing for momentum. When learning inverted moves I suggest learning with the pole on static, then once you understand the mechanics move on to spinning.

• santiagoup05

March 11, 2015 at 8:10 am

@Veena – what you said is soooo true!! Since I’m such a newbie and still trying to develop my strenght I feel like spinning is easier because at lease I’m moving around the pole. With static it’s harder because I’m still struggling holding myself. I do believe for the long term learning static is better, I’ll develop my muscles, strenght and coordination so I’ll keep trying on static.

Thanks everyone for your advice!!! I truly love this group:-)

• Val Pepper

August 17, 2019 at 8:56 pm

thanks Veena for the advice!