StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Split grip issues

• Split grip issues

Posted by bullitt1939 on September 5, 2017 at 7:00 am

Been working on split grips but my forearms have really been bothering me. Any advice as to what I am doing wrong or do I just need to strengthen my forearms? Also what is the average on getting to the point to deadlift? A future goal!

Baudelaire replied 6 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Veena

Administrator
    September 5, 2017 at 9:42 pm

To better help you it’s important to know how you’ve been working on split grips?

For now here are some tips:

Don’t do split grip practice everyday when starting…it’s too much!

ALWAYS stretch the hands and forearms after you pole.

Take a look at this lesson to make sure you are using proper technique. https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/4f859429-2dbc-41f1-86e4-282a0ac37250

You should be doing conditioning work for the hands, forearms and shoulders for at least 2 weeks before moving on to split grip work.

Start with partial split grips. 🙂

• bullitt1939

September 6, 2017 at 10:04 am

Veena
    Thanks for the info!

I had been doing classes at least a month before split grip was introduced. The top hand is wrapped around pole and bottom hand with the index finger pointing down with rest of hand wrapped in the pole. This was painful move since day 1 and has gotten a little better over time and gaining strength. We stated with like 3 on each side 2-3 times a week. I am getting better at the hold since I am stronger than I was. I am just unsure if this move was suppose to be painful?

My ultimate goal is deadlifting, but I have a long way to go!

• Veena

Administrator
    September 6, 2017 at 8:12 pm

If it’s painful as in sudden, and sharp or pain in joints that’s not right. If it’s muscles working, as in they feel weak, shaky or burn that’s normal. You should never do something that’s painful…the only pain that is normal in pole is the burning on the skin when learning new things.

• bullitt1939

September 6, 2017 at 11:32 pm

It is more a constant sore pain probably because it is something I had never done before. I think it is a strength issue in which I am working on just wanted some advice from others who have been there.

• Baudelaire

October 13, 2017 at 3:21 am

Make sure you are warming up the wrists and forearms when approaching split grip moves. There are some wrist exercises in this post, https://melnutter.com/2017/09/16/wrist-care/ including stretches and strengthening tips!