StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Spinning one handed.

• Spinning one handed.

Posted by XLauraX on April 18, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I know everyone is different but roughly how long did it take you to be able to spin just using one arm? I have seen quite a few of the member videos and the girls look amazing doing it. 

I would say I have just crossed over from beginner to intermediate but I am no where near confiedent enough to use one arm to spin. 

🙂 

x x 

Veena replied 3 years, 11 months ago 13 Members · 21 Replies
  • 21 Replies
  • chemgoddess1

April 18, 2011 at 12:36 pm

I think I did mine entirely by accident but it was probably within my first 3-4 months of poling.

• RoseMay

April 18, 2011 at 3:16 pm

6 weeks 🙂

• reenie aka Mysfit

April 18, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Yeah..I would say mine was within 3-4 months or so. The first time I tried it, I had my hand way to high and whapped myself pretty damn good into the pole.

• reenie aka Mysfit

April 18, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Oh, and making sure you have proper scapular engagement is important. You really don't want to be hanging from that shoulder…..

• Samantha B

April 18, 2011 at 3:38 pm

6-8 weeks, but I still find it tough if I'm not warm enough or if my arms are getting tired at the end of a workout. Lefty is also tougher than righty but I can go one handed on each. I can honestly say there was a considerable fear period in the beginning for me which didn't help.

• Later

April 18, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Roughly 2 and half -3 months. My hands were pretty weak when I started where as the girl I poled with was able to hold on with 1 hand after about 1 and a half to 2 months. It will happen =)

• Sair

April 18, 2011 at 4:57 pm

about a month and a half 🙂

It'll happen whenever you really really start trusting your grip 😉

• PoleKitten87

April 18, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Being able to do 1 handed spins on both sides was the "pre-requisite" to move to intermediate at the old studio I went to. So probably about a 4-6 weeks for me before I started doing 1-handers, It definitely requires confidence in grip!

• Veena

Administrator
    April 18, 2011 at 7:09 pm

XLauraX, don't rush into one handed spins! These can be just as harmful to your body if your not strong enough and do not have the proper positioning as inverting can. I consider all one handed spins intermediate. in fact only a handful of spins are in the beginner section they are all placed at the end and most of them are half spins. You must build up the strength in the shoulders, wrist and hands before you fling your body around the pole. I know spins seem easy to learn but that does not make them appropriate for beginners.

Can you do a controlled Pole Hold for 3-5 sec's or 2 breaths?

Can you do a double Pole Climb?

Are your basic spins (ones done with 2 hands while facing the pole) done with control and proper scapula engagement?

When you can answer yes to these then you may be ready to start working on one handed spins https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif

• Runemist34

April 18, 2011 at 7:49 pm

It depends on the spin, for me. It takes me a while to get that kind of strength going, so it takes at least a few months of semi-casual poling to get there for the basic Fireman spin. Others…well, I've not gotten strong enough yet!

• Cinara

April 18, 2011 at 8:10 pm

It definitely depends on the spin. I could do spins with at least one leg on the pole on static within about 6 weeks, but I do have a gymnastic background. Spins with one hand and at least one leg on the pole on spinny setting in about 2-3 months. One handed spins on static with legs off the pole… well I could do a few after about 6 months. And one-handed spins with both legs off the pole? I have done two different spins once each and I've been poling for a year. I find it takes less strength to hold an aysha (hands on, legs off upside down) than to hang off one hand on spin. (At least for me)

And as a cautionary tale: any spin where your hands are in a split grip should be counted as a one-handed spin. You can really injure your bottom hand if you place much weight on it when you spin with your thumb pointing down. I make sure I'm not even gripping the pole with my bottom hand, just placing it on the pole and pushing.

• dustbunny

April 18, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Once you think you are ready, start slow.  Start with a basic fireman, mount with two hands like normal, but remove the bottom hand before you land.  Slowly work yourself up to not needing the hand at all.  Then start trying other more difficult spins; facing the pole, backward facing, and forward facing.  Once you have the strength to be confident in spinning one handed you can start trying different things to do with your free hand, like placing it on your knee, running it through your hair, grabbing your ankle/foot, experiment!

• Veena

Administrator
    April 18, 2011 at 8:31 pm

I totally agree with you Cinara when it comes to the Aysha and strength. Also with the split grips, that bottom hand should not be taking much weight (if any) at all. I get emails were students have been taught split grips spins and reverse grab spins in beginner classes https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_eek.gifand had ended up with injuries. I think people see spins as simple or beginner moves because they are done from the ground and not up on the pole https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_sad.gif

• Cinara

April 18, 2011 at 11:08 pm

I was taught a cradle with a split grip as a beginner move, and a split grip boomerang spin after about 8 weeks. These were easy for my instructor, I think because she's very tiny and lightweight, but for us more average to heavy people it takes more strength than you can get without a lot of training. (I am not overweight by any measure, so I really do mean average!)

At first my forearms were fine, because I have hyperextended elbows which bizarrely reduced pressure on my forearms. But of course, it put pressure on my elbows and I started getting tendonitis. So I watched that my elbows were not hyperextended and that strained my forearms badly, and they're still not entirely recovered after 9 months!

A lot of tricks are only advanced because they require more spatial awareness, or are more dangerous if you were to fall out of them. I agree with you, Veena that a lot of spins are very, advanced, even though some people assume they are easier than inversions. I am more scared of one handed spins than some drop moves! There are plenty of spins I don't even attempt yet.

• XLauraX

April 19, 2011 at 12:11 am

Thanks guys, some good advice here I plan on taking 🙂

Yeah I can pole sit, pole hold, pole climb ….. I can do all the beginner moves, Took a while getting them right but got there in the end 🙂

Dont worry, I dont plan on attempting to spin one handed until I have enough confidence in my grip and myself, I can let go and just use one hand mid spin, I just cant start a spin using one hand. 

Im still coming to grips with the split grip, though I can see (and feel) the progress I have made when it comes to my upper arm strenght. 

Thanks again ladies 🙂 

Page 1 of 2