StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Sore-ish Ribs and Dry, Slippery Skin

• Sore-ish Ribs and Dry, Slippery Skin

Posted by StrangeFox on May 13, 2017 at 4:35 pm

Anyone else have tender/sore ribs (intercostal muscles, I’m guessing) when they started learning things like chair spins, sunwheels, and climbs (and maybe overdid it…)? I feel so stupid, but I just love static spins and pole sits so much! I maybe did too many of them.

It’s not excruciating pain, and I don’t feel it when I breathe, but I definitely feel like the muscles got a good work out when I side stretch. I tried to climb my pole last night and the pain in my upper ab just below my rib cage became more intense so I immediately stopped what I was doing and decided I would spend the next couple of days focusing on floor work and splits training while my intercostals recovered.

Also, my thigh and knee skin is dry and slippery so I have to really over-compensate with my arms/core/feet when I climb. Any tips on how to get the skin on my legs in better condition? Are there any moisturizers that are safe for pole dancers?

StrangeFox replied 6 years, 10 months ago 6 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Veena

Administrator
    May 13, 2017 at 6:53 pm

Sound like a good idea to rest a bit.

You can use lotion, no need to avoid it all together! In fact if I don’t moisturize I would never be able to grip. I don’t sweat much (unless humidity is high) and I tend to have normal to dry skin. The key is using something that isn’t oily, lubriderm and aveeno works well for me and I use the Target store brands, they’re cheaper and work great!

I also suggest this grip aid combo if you have issues with dry skin and cold poles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgvvc2uvcFw

• StrangeFox

May 14, 2017 at 12:19 am

Thanks so much, Veena! My ribs are feeling way better and the pole is so tempting, but I’ve heard intercostal tears are nasty so I’m going to take it easy.

The studio I go to says no lotions but… my skin is normal to dry too and I can’t live without moisturizer! I’m going to try the grip aid combo for sure. I’ll let you know how it works out for me. 🙂

• Veena

Administrator
    May 14, 2017 at 1:16 am

You don’t put lotion on before class, but you can use an non greasy lotion hours before and it will be fine. I thought you meant you never use lotion anymore. I’m sure the studio means not to apply lotion right before class or use stuff that leaves behind a mess on the poles, makes them greasy.

• StrangeFox

May 14, 2017 at 5:06 am

Haha! We were told not to wear lotion at all the day of class, but my instructor said as long as it’s not applied 2 hours before class I’m OK to wear moisturizer. I think the 1 day rule was for oily moisturizers, which is good because with my home pole now I’d never be able to wear moisturizer!

• Phoenix Hunter

May 15, 2017 at 7:28 pm

For lotion, I apply it after my shower at night before bed. When I get up in the morning I rinse it off in the shower but I don’t use soap. Water only. This has worked great for keeping my skin moisturized for pole. I find that I am grippier with out being oily.

• LatinPoler

May 15, 2017 at 10:51 pm

I use Aveeno sheer hydration (blue lid) every time I shower and it’s absolutely perfect. It lives up to the name and it’s like wearing nothing. Before pole, I use medium. I have dry skin and live in a hot, dry climate now. I may add Mighty Grip powder or iTac, depending on what I’m planning to work on.

• Stormy AKA PastinaBallerina

May 16, 2017 at 1:16 am

I’ve also heard Corn Huskers lotion works for some people! I’ve never used it, but I know they sell it at Walmart.

• StrangeFox

May 16, 2017 at 2:57 am

Thanks a bunch, ladies! Those are all great suggestions and I’m going to give them a try. 🙂 I never considered rinsing the moisturizer off, and I do love Aveeno products. I’ve never heard of Corn Huskers, but I’ll keep an eye out for it next time I’m at Walmart.

• Veena

Administrator
    May 16, 2017 at 8:25 pm

Yeah, I’ve put lotion on and rinsed it right off and it works in a pinch!

Has anyone tried the lotion you put on when your skin is wet before pole? I wonder if they make any that are fast absorbing and non greasy?

• Silver Sylph

May 17, 2017 at 7:42 am

I use the in shower body lotion from Nivea, not sure if you can get it in the states? I can’t always find it in the stores where I live but it well worth a try, it feels really moisturising but not yukky or oily and it smells gorgeous.

• StrangeFox

May 18, 2017 at 4:35 am

Thanks to the helpful suggestions I was able to grip with my knees and pole climb properly today. 🙂 Putting lotion on and rinsing it off works! Fortunately it’s getting humid where I am now so that should help with dry skin too.

Silver Sylph – I’m in Canada so we might have it here. Although, I have noticed most of my favorite bath products are being discontinued and the selections are getting less and less…so maybe not! Haha!