StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Skin breaks!!

• Skin breaks!!

Posted by Quirkygrl16 on January 28, 2016 at 7:39 pm

I just got back into pole and omg my skin is breaking so bad! I’ve been using neosporin but is this going to keep happening!?

PoleFitMom replied 8 years, 2 months ago 5 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Runemist34

January 28, 2016 at 7:44 pm

Wow, that looks really bad! How many times are you working on similar moves that use those areas? Is this a repetitive injury sort of thing, or did it happen from just doing a move once?
    I’m really sorry to hear this is happening :/

• Quirkygrl16

January 28, 2016 at 7:48 pm

They have us try to climb 2/3 times per side. It normally isn’t this bad but holy cow it’s been sucking lately.

• Quirkygrl16

January 28, 2016 at 7:49 pm

And it’s happened from 2 classes

• Runemist34

January 28, 2016 at 9:01 pm

Ouch, that sucks! Have you asked your instructor about it? No fun practicing climbs if you’re just ripping skin open, or aggravating it all over again.
    I remember when I first learned to climb, I had some pretty tender areas, very similar to yours. I’ve torn some skin a bit on the top of my foot when climbing, but it was mostly because I slipped.
    Sooo… I would say that, after some time to heal and maybe a little adjustment as to where your weight goes and how you position your leg/foot, you’ll see a lot less skin issue! I definitely had a lot of bruising at first, but I adjusted a bit so I wasn’t shoving all my weight into that one area of my leg.
    Tough to describe, sort of like I just had to teach myself how, internally?

• Quirkygrl16

January 28, 2016 at 11:43 pm

Yeah I’m hoping over time it gets better. I just try to let me heal, and spaced out my classes more this time. I also plan to NOT climb if it just hurts too bad lol. Spins are no problem at all.

• Veena

Administrator
    January 29, 2016 at 12:30 am

Ouch! One way to help prevent this is to focus on holding the body with a performance grip hold, this grip will allow you to hold the body, then place the legs. https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/50fd8f5a-d024-4cbb-a4df-74830ac37250 If you are placing the legs first, and not ready to hold with the upper body too, the focus can be too much on the legs and you can end up with pole burn and skin tears. The performance grip isn’t the first climb I teach ONLY because I introduce a strength building climb first. Also keep in mind it can take time to work up to climbs! Building strength in the upper body first will help you have better control over the climb. Something else, if skin is too sticky or to slippery tears are common.

• Quirkygrl16

January 29, 2016 at 1:26 am

Thank you for this! I think I’m definitely putting too much pressure on only my feet. I even got pole socks and this still happened. I’m not focusing on getting to the top as much now as much as gaining to strength to do it easier and prevent this. My moms is trying to get me to not do anymore classes because of this,lol

• Phoenix Hunter

February 2, 2016 at 6:42 pm

yes, performance climb will help with that. also working on upper body strength like pole holds, side pole holds etc. keep your skin moisturized on days you dont pole or moisturize the night before and shower it off the next morning. if my skin gets dry it tends to tear easier. wearing heels is also an option to protect your skin while its healing but its also good to learn the technique without shoes. 🙂

• Quirkygrl16

February 3, 2016 at 4:21 am

I had class tonight and found it easier without pole socks. I didn’t push the climbing as my skin is just now healing over

• PoleFitMom

February 3, 2016 at 6:17 pm

Winnie’s Rip Fix is AMAZING!!! It helps heal the cracks and rips very quickly. I use it all over, even my lips when they are really chapped.

http://www.amazon.com/Winnies-RipFix-1-5-oz/dp/B00QFRBP0Q