StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Selling house – leave pole up or hide the evidence? ;-)

• Selling house – leave pole up or hide the evidence? ;-)

Posted by grayeyes on May 16, 2016 at 4:31 am

We’re going to put our house up for sale soon and I’m not sure what to do about my pole. It can come down but because it is on a vaulted ceiling the ceiling mount is screwed into the ceiling. Of course I can take the mount down and repair that but then I won’t be able to pole at all. There are also mirrors all over the place with the two biggest also mounted on the wall with screws. The carpet will show relatively permanent marks where the pole sits and where I move around it. I would prefer to leave the pole and mirrors up because I don’t give a hoot who sees it but I don’t want to do that if it will affect my ability to sell the house. Taking the mirrors and pole down will require some repair work and painting the entire room because I can’t match the old paint and it’s a very big room. What have you folks done if you’ve sold a house with a pole?

grayeyes replied 7 years, 11 months ago 8 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • donnalee

May 16, 2016 at 7:58 am

http://www.stagemyownhome.com/depersonalizing-your-home.html

To sell your house….hide the evidence. Attached a link about how making your home “neutral” will appeal to buyers. The odds of finding a home buyer who thinks “great…a pole is already there…..” are soooo against you. Go mainstream “clean & bland” thinking….to sell πŸ™‚

• Katherine McKinney

May 16, 2016 at 11:56 am

I agree with donnalee. Having sold and bought two houses in the past three years, go for clean, bright, and bland! It’s not fair, but a pole will turn away many buyers who won’t be able to think of other purposes for that room and will thinking about what you do in that room rather than what their lives would be like in that room.

• Veena

Administrator
    May 16, 2016 at 1:39 pm

Yep, take it down. Some people might not understand that it’s not permanent. They might also think I has damaged the home in some way (we know better of course!). I’ve had guests think my pole was a support for the ceiling before! Γ°ΕΈΛœβ€š

• grayeyes

May 16, 2016 at 9:07 pm

Thank you, ladies. Guess I better get busy. Dang.

πŸ™‚

• Cantetinza17

May 17, 2016 at 3:14 am

I say take it down. I might turn some buyers off or buyers are going to want to play with it.

• bformosa922163

May 17, 2016 at 3:33 am

Yes take it down. I live in a rental and my landlord has been trying to sell the unit.. But I had kept my pole up while people were inspecting the house.

The landlord was fine with me having it up as it wasn’t causing any damage.. They were having trouble selling (not sure if my pole had anything to do with it) but a couple of weeks after I took it down, there was finally an offer on the unit. Might be worth taking it down.

• Webmaster

Administrator
    May 17, 2016 at 5:13 am

Definitely take it down. Even if people are ok with pole they might not know what the effect on the house is of having it up.

• I polekat I

May 17, 2016 at 8:30 am

yeah i think the main thing non-polers might worry about is whether it is causing any damage to the structure – so I would say just take down the pole for viewings (but I wouldn’t worry about the ceiling mount or the mirrors, because they won’t draw much attention by themselves).
    that way you can still just put the pole up again quickly afterwards, and just worry about repairing the ceiling mount and walls etc after you have found a buyer =D

• grayeyes

May 18, 2016 at 12:38 am

Thanks to all for your comments. I’ll be taking it down…at the last minute of course. πŸ™‚