StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Scoliosis

• Scoliosis

Posted by Athena30 on June 11, 2018 at 1:33 am

This year I discovered I have an s curve and moderate to severe scoliosis. Two questions for those who also have it:

A. How does it affect your poling
    B. How much does it limit back flexibility? I have a very inflexible back and do several stretches a week but I’m wondering if I’m limited based off this condition

Thank you

tielz18896 replied 5 years, 10 months ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Veena

Administrator
    June 12, 2018 at 5:04 pm

I only have a small amount of understanding of this so if you can talk with a PT. My thoughts are if it’s not super bad and you haven’t been restricted by a dr. you should be fine. A LOT of people are diagnosed with a bit of scoliosis, I myself have been told I have it, but then other DR’s have said I’m fine. LOl

You’ll want to be sure you’re doing core work, not just ab training. Don’t push like crazy for back bends, be gentle when it comes to those, however don’t avoid back mobility all together. If you train carefully you can still gain in flexibility and it will even help! Avoid things like sitting hunched over!!!!!! If your training with my lessons you should be fine, they are meant to be safe for the majority of the population. 🙂

• FischNet

June 22, 2018 at 4:37 am

I have an S curve as well. The bottom (full lumbar and a few into thoracic) is at 25° if that helps you compare for yourself. It doesn’t affect me too much, beyond severe back bends. I’ll add a couple of pictures to my profile, as I haven’t been on here in way way too long! But as long as you haven’t been told not to do things, giver! Go at your own pace, and if you find something that bothers you or you can’t do, don’t push it too hard and modify it or just skip it.

• Little red riding pole

June 22, 2018 at 8:37 pm

I also have pretty severe scoliosis. It mostly just affects my back bends.

• Athena30

June 22, 2018 at 9:09 pm

I’m at 30 for lumbar and 15 for thoracic. So does this mean we’ll have a hard time with back bends like we can’t get the nice bendy back that’s needed for some moves like the ballerina etc?

• tielz18896

June 27, 2018 at 8:23 pm

I have moderate scoliosis affecting my neck, mid back, and lower back. I am not very flexible and have super tight hamstrings. Backbends are not too difficult for me now that I have been working on them for a few months (the type where you hold the pole with one hand and go into a backbend while standing on the floor). Pikes I am nowhere near doing. My back does not like to bend forward as easily (or maybe that is my hammies…I am working on those suckers!).