StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Sciatic pain when stretching for the front splits

• Sciatic pain when stretching for the front splits

Posted by LatinPoler on July 7, 2019 at 12:20 am

Hi,

About two months ago, when I was sliding down into may left side split (stiffer side), I felt a sudden burning/tingling sensation in my left hamstring. I came out immediately thinking I could have strained my hamstring but thankfully not – I did not feel any pain once I exited the split. Actually I could walk and even do long runs without any muscle pain. But – I could not stretch that left hamstring deeply anymore. If I tried, that burning/tingling sensation flared again (milder).

After two months it is getting better but my left hamstring range of motion is not as it used to be before this issue. I’ve been asking around and googling it and it sounds like a nerve problems, possibly the sciatic nerve being pinched when I go into the deep stretch. Also, I feel it mostly with stretches that require to bend over the leg, not that much with the supine ones.

I’m going to look for professional help after my competition. I’d rather not mess up with my body now… it does not bother me unless I deeply stretch that side, and it’s not my dominant split side so I don’t really need to deeply stretch it for my routine (I know I should to balance my flexibility). In the meantime, I wanted to check with other polers. Anyone with a similar experience? Tingling/burning sensation in the hamstring hen stretching? Any tips?

Thanks!

LatinPoler replied 4 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Veena

Administrator
    July 7, 2019 at 10:21 pm

Sounds a bit like sciatic but don’t know. Hopefully you’ll get it worked out soon after your comp!

• LatinPoler

July 8, 2019 at 4:22 pm

Thanks! I’m doing some stretches and exercises I found on the Internet and so far I think it’s helping. Mostly focused on piriformis release and sciatic nerve “flossing”. I will go to PT anyway as I believe I have a slight mechanical issue or unbalance in my hips. My left side has always been slightly problematic: IT band issues, tight calf, etc. 🙁 Nothing serious fortunately but it makes me think there’s something going on.