StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Same moves, different names

• Same moves, different names

Posted by PandaMommy on August 1, 2018 at 2:48 am

I’m having a bit of trouble finding a straight list of moves to learn. Every move has 1-3 names for the same thing. How do you guys keep track of everything?

Veena replied 5 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Runemist34

August 1, 2018 at 3:05 am

Generally, we just stick to the ones we learn first, or the ones we prefer.
    Since there’s no real regulatory body, or nothing watching over Pole Dance in general (like, say for a sport, or for things like ballet or classical music), the names of moves have no standard. What I know as a “Swing dip” is now being taught as a “Step around,” and some people even know it as other names, a half spin, even just a transition move with no name at all!
    I *prefer* descriptional names, like “Outside Leg hang,” instead of trying to figure out which one is Scorpio and which one is Gemini (hint: It’s both, depending on where you’re from). It makes more sense to me, since I get the description right in the name, and everyone has that easy way of knowing what it is!
    Also, there is no straight list of moves! I have moves here in my town I’ve never seen anyone have move names for, and I’ve seen different lists of different moves based on where I’m looking, where that place is on the planet, and even the kinds of pole they’re teaching!

So, my suggestion is to be aware of the different names as much as you can, and to search broadly for different types of moves. Don’t be afraid to come up with your own idea as to what “Level” the moves go in, and also to search broadly for that, too. For me, I learned to climb, plank, and even Cross Knee Release (aka one of the types of layback) fairly early on, but anything that involves a Basic Invert, or holding my body with my arms, has come very slowly, and I have had to learn it over and over. At my studio, CKR/Laybacks are a Level 5 move (out of 5 levels), where you learn Basic Invert at level 3ish.

And, don’t bog yourself down with trying to learn every move out there. There are so many, perfection of them is… basically impossible. It would take you years just to get off the ground!
    Take the things you love, and work on those. Keep having fun and playing 🙂

• PandaMommy

August 1, 2018 at 3:12 am

Oh good, I thought I was crazy. I generally try to stick with what I know as the name. I got my own pole in January and have been trying to self teach from Youtube and things I can find on Pinterest. I am still trying to learn the invert V/chopper but I am falling flat, very literally. But I can do a layback and a cross knee layback. Personally if it looks like I can do it I give it a shot. I just got down the knee hold though I hold onto the pole in between my legs right now

• Veena

Administrator
    August 1, 2018 at 4:18 am

You’ve come to the right place if you’re looking for order!! Learning randomly from Youtube and Pinterest can end up being overwhelming and lead to injury because one person might label a move is “beginner” but the reality is it’s advanced!

If you have my app or lessons here, you’ll see everything is placed in an order of progression. Just start by watching the first lesson in any section and go from there. No need to waste time looking for moves and guessing if it’s at your level. Building strength and technique is so important in injury prevention, giving you a longer pole life!

In the lessons here you’ll also have access to 30 day programs too!

The gallery here also has names along with AKA options that have been most common. Names are not as important as conditioning work and the order you learn moves in.