StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Safely Increasing Back Flexibility

• Safely Increasing Back Flexibility

Posted by StrangeFox on October 22, 2017 at 9:00 pm

Hey everyone – any tips for safely increasing back flexibility? I’m going to start the 30 days to flexy tonight (so excited!) but wanted to know what worked for all of you. I struggle with backbends and I’m absolutely paranoid about injuring my back so I’m a little afraid to sink as deeply into my backbend as I do in my splits. I also struggle to “find” the muscles in my back.

Getting into a king cobra is a goal of mine, but I don’t even know where to start with that one. I can get my arms straight in cobra without discomfort but I’m not sure how to deepen the stretch.

StrangeFox replied 6 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Estef Martinez

October 28, 2017 at 12:32 pm

This guy is a genius and he explains how to safely increase back flexibility and what to do and not to do to avoid injuries. I can’t recommend his book Relax into stretch enough! I’m working on increasing flexibility and his approach is great! https://youtu.be/4SWxe-ubKN4

• StrangeFox

October 28, 2017 at 5:24 pm

Thanks so much Estef Martinez! I look forward to watching that. I started 30 days to flexy, too, and I notice some days focuses on back flexibility. It’s so weird…I never feel like I’m gaining back/torso flexibility by doing camel or cobra or foam rolling – it’s all so comfortable! But I can get my palms flat on the ground in camel, and lateral shoulder rolls and walking/sweeping my feet in a circle around me is now comfortable so…I guess I’m getting somewhere!

• Veena

Administrator
    October 30, 2017 at 9:40 pm

He’s an interesting fella! It seems that the concept in the video shared is the same as my method shown in the individual lessons and stretching routines. Contract and release..don’t forget to breathe. Also make sure you go though all of the individual back stretches because that’s where I really break things down….then you can move on to the back mobility routine. 🙂 Oh and adding in some flowmotion here and there is a nice change from the contract and release method.

• StrangeFox

October 31, 2017 at 1:43 am

Thanks Veena! I am excited to see how my flexibility increases with the 30 days to flexy program! I did a back/arm day yesterday and I never quite feel the stretch the same as when I stretch my legs. I tend to gain back flexibility through active stretching best, and my legs respond better to passive stretching. So weird!

So far I am loving the 30 days to flexy program, though!