StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Re-occurring Bicep/Tricep Soreness – Is it a warning to back-off on the shoulder mounts?

• Re-occurring Bicep/Tricep Soreness – Is it a warning to back-off on the shoulder mounts?

Posted by StrangeFox on October 31, 2017 at 1:59 am

I’m having some issues with soreness in my right bicep/tricep area (the one closest to the pole when I SM). It isn’t all that bad and feels more like annoying post-workout soreness but I want to make sure it doesn’t turn into a serious injury so I am going to see a sports therapist for a massage and assessment. It started around the time that I began shoulder mounting, although I don’t know for certain that is the cause.

I had this at the beginning of the month and it seemed to heal up after a couple of days but was aggravated by a chair dance class I attended (tricep dips were the culprit). The same pattern repeated itself just a few days ago when I did a bunch of scissor climbs and shoulder mounts and the pain returned. A few days later it seemed to go away. I went to a show at a bar where they had very tall chairs that I had to lift myself onto as if I was doing a tricep dip. The next morning the soreness in the right bicep and tricep returned. It’s almost all gone now, but I’m taking it easy to make sure it heals up properly.

Has anyone else experienced this? Could this be my body’s way of telling me I need to get stronger before I can SM? (Similar to the rhomboid pain I continued to get until I got my invert stronger).

StrangeFox replied 6 years, 5 months ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • StrangeFox

November 25, 2017 at 1:42 am

Okay…sorry to resurrect this but I wanted to add an update just in case anyone else runs into a similar issue.

1) Although I can SM (on both sides now! yay!) I have been told to cool it until I can hold myself parallel to the ground in a shoulder “V.” It’s safer and it’s easier for me to know whether or not I’ve got the pole in the right place (still learning this). Initially I had it too close to my neck and put a lot of pressure on the wrong places. I didn’t feel it while I was SMing but I did feel it after. Holding the “V” position I know immediately when I’m in the wrong position and I won’t attempt a mount that may pinch a muscle or bruise a bone.

2) The tricep/bicep pain was from figurehead. I need to squeeze more with my legs/knees and less with my arm.

3) Went to get a sports massage and was told the muscles in my back and shoulders are extremely tight and need to be stretched after I pole/condition. Was also told I should work on my back/shoulder flexibility if I hope to avoid injury, which until now I have sorely neglected.