StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Question for Veena on Three Of Her Stretching Routines!

• Question for Veena on Three Of Her Stretching Routines!

Posted by Colleen Larson on December 27, 2019 at 4:04 pm

I hope those who celebrate Christmas had a merry and happy one! I wish you all a great New Year! ~~ One of my New Year’s resolutions is to increase my flexibility. I want to do Veena’s front splits stretching routine, middle splits stretching routine and her back mobility stretching routine on Tuesdays, Fridays, and Sundays. So three times a week. I would do one routine after the other, which comes to a little over an hour of stretching. (I’ve been pole dancing for seven years. So I’m not a beginner.) Veena, is it safe for me to do these routines, back to back, three days a week on the schedule I’ve listed? I hope to hear from you before Jan. 1. Thanks! 🙂

Colleen Larson replied 4 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • dustbunny

December 30, 2019 at 12:57 am

Beginner or not you are always better to start slow if you want to avoid injury. I’m assuming this schedule is in addition to other non-flex training that you are already doing.
    I would start by doing one routine each day mentioned the first week. If that feels good, do both split routines one day, back flex one day and whatever feels good for the third day of the second week. If you still feel like you want more give your plan a go on week three. You will find your limit without so much pressure and risk of overdoing it.

• Colleen Larson

December 30, 2019 at 3:41 pm

Thanks Dust Bunny. 🙂 I’m going to limit my plan to twice a week. ( My week also includes strength training, pole dancing and cardio. I take Thursdays off.)

• StrangeFox

December 30, 2019 at 4:21 pm

Veena advises that you “listen to your body” and this is excellent advice. Some days or weeks you may be able to stretch more than others. Sometimes you may have a lot of other things going on that impact your flexibility training. That could be physical stress or mental stress.

Usually, if I’m still sore even after a good warm-up, I take that as a cue to slow down and be gentle. Dustbunny gives awesome advice – definitely start slow and gradually build up. Regardless of whether you are a beginner or advanced student, what works for someone else may not work for you and if you’re going slow you’ll be able to pinpoint that a little easier.

I’m still learning and I wasted a lot of time doing things that didn’t work for me when I started out. If you’re near a dance studio (any type of dance studio) that does flexibility training and has certified instructors, I would highly recommend signing up for a few classes. A teacher who has been properly trained can tell you how to reach your goals safely, and can correct your form and tell you what you should be feeling.

If you haven’t already checked out Veena’s 30 day flexibility program, I recommend you do so. There is lots of great information in there. 😊

Best of luck and happy stretching!

• Colleen Larson

December 30, 2019 at 8:03 pm

Hi, Strange Fox. 🙂 Thank you for suggesting the 30 Day to Flexibility program. I’ve been a member of Studio Veena for years, but I forgot all about that particular program. So for January, I’ll ditch my original plan and start out with this program instead. I know Veena puts a lot of planning and work into her programs. So I trust that her program will be a good start. (I’ve been stretching for years, but the consistency is not there. I know that’s my problem. So starting fresh with the 30 Day and then moving on from there is a good move.)

• Veena

Administrator
    December 31, 2019 at 4:41 am

Hi Colleen! Hope you’re having a nice holiday. It’s a good decision to do the program instead even though you’re not new to stretching. Sticking with something is the first step as you mentioned, but also remember that every time you dance use your full range of motion. Don’t skimp on elongating movements just to work on a new move. I have seen wonderful gains by training this way. I see a lot of people work on moves without being mindful of creating length so keep that in mind.

• Colleen Larson

December 31, 2019 at 7:09 pm

Happy New Year, Veena, and Happy New Year to you all! ~~~ Veena, thank you for the advise! Also, I started your 30-day flexy program today, and I enjoyed it! (As you know, day 2 is a rest day.) Looking forward to continuing your program for the 30 days and then continuing on from there! ❤️❤️