StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Powder Coating Your Pole

• Powder Coating Your Pole

Posted by katie8770 on March 22, 2020 at 2:38 pm

Hi all!

I’ve had it with my chrome pole, it’s just not usable and I struggle to do the simplest things on it. At this point it’s just dangerous to continue trying. I attempted a Superman the other day and I just KNEW if I twisted into place my top hand would be off the pole. I have zero trust in my grip on this thing.

I’ve tried more grip aids than I can count, use carpe daily, have tried spraying things onto the pole, and it’s just awful.

So. I’m thinking of getting it powder coated. Has anyone here done it? Are there different types of powder coatings? Is there a huge difference between chrome and powder coating? My studio only has brass so I wasn’t ever able to try a powder coated pole.

I found a place in Montreal that does it but they’ve never done dance poles before. They’ve done railings, etc.

Any info would be appreciated. I don’t want to ruin my pole but it’s not usable now anyway. I paid a LOT for this (xpole, the new one with the twisting lock, plus duty, exchange rate….) and I want to be able to use it.

Thanks!

Davedeeking9167 replied 3 years, 12 months ago 5 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • Krista Bocko

March 22, 2020 at 7:26 pm

When did you get your pole and where do you live? If you’re in a winter climate, it’s extremely likely that you’ll get grippy very soon. I’m in the midwest (US) and I hate winter poling. I’m trying to pole today and don’t feel good in most moves. In another month, my skin won’t be so dry and neither will the air and I’ll be very happy!

• katie8770

March 22, 2020 at 8:14 pm

I live in Montreal, Canada. But I’ve had the pole over a year and I’ve had the same issues the entire time. I even got an xpole pole warmer, still the same.

• amelia2000

March 22, 2020 at 8:18 pm

Never done it but… if it were me I would try to sell your current pole and buy a new one.

I agree with Sparrow. I have a chrome pole and struggle in hot weather with the sweat.

• katie8770

March 22, 2020 at 8:26 pm

I would take too much of a loss I think if I were to try that. Just the exchange rate kills me. I was quoted about $125 from one place, so I’m more interested to hear about people who have done it to their poles ideally. I did a quick search already but hopefully some girls who have done it can answer. Cheers!

• Veena

Administrator
    March 23, 2020 at 3:15 am

If I’m remembering the last thread correctly, you have sweaty hands right? If that’s the problem Powder coating may not be the best option. Brass is usually the best for sweaty hands and bodies.

I’ve powder coated one of my poles before by taking it to a powder coating shop that works with motorcycles and such. They did a great job, for me the grip was awesome…but I don’t sweat much.

If if won’t work for you to sell your pole, as Amelia mentioned you could look into a pole wrap called Stunt Grip. I just bought one for my pole and it will totally fix any grip issues. HOWEVER, it is so grippy that you will not be able to do static spins on it. But I wear clothes and can use it with my cold dry hands and it’s amazing. They’re located here in Vegas, a size small that wraps 5 ft is 40 dollars, not sure what shipping to Canada would be. https://stuntgrip.com/grip-wrap

If sweaty hands are not the problem, then chrome should be workable and it’s usually a matter of warming the pole and body enough.

• katie8770

March 23, 2020 at 12:54 pm

Hi Veena,

Thanks for your reply. I’ve been using carpe lotion nightly since we last spoke in the other thread and its helped tremendously. I still have a bit of sweat when poling but I haven’t had to wear my gloves once at class again (on the brass). Maybe I should try warming my pole longer at home, I have it on the highest heat for about 20-30 min. It’s like as SOON as my hands start grabbing the pole and I have one or two climbs in it’s already slippery. I just don’t get it.

Do you have to re-wrap with Stunt Grip every time or does it last a few sessions? I’d be interested to try that first over the powder coating.

When I was looking at X-Pole’s site again, they mention powder coating is for max grip so I’m definitely curious but realize it’s a permanent thing.

Thank you for your help

• katie8770

March 23, 2020 at 1:06 pm

If I decide to try the wrap, do I measure the entire pole or where do I stop? (I know powder coating for instance doesn’t go right to the bottom)

• Veena

Administrator
    March 23, 2020 at 3:37 pm

Yay, Glad the lotion is working…my point about the sweaty hands was just that if the slip is from sweat powder coating the pole wont fit it for most. I use to sell a beautiful PC purple pole and I loved it, still have it, however if I used it in the humidity and it was super hot and I DID actually sweat, it was slick! Slightly tacky skin is great for PC, but not sweaty. I have the x pole Powder coated pole and I never get around to using it….Go to playground where they have PC poles for kids to slide down, give them a try, it will be similar but not the same as most playground poles have texture to them. Sooooo the biggest thing to determine is are you slipping from sweat, or cold, dry hands?

I bought the wrap because I wanted to easily remove it or put it on a different pole. So far I’ve used it 3 times, taken it off 3 times and it’s still super grippy and doesn’t move at all or peel off. They do suggest you attach the top with some tape to hold it in place, I haven’t yet. You don’t need to put it all over the pole just as far down or high up as you want. You don’t need to re-wrap it can just stay on the pole. I’ve heard the silicon sleeve can be a pain to put on and take off. The wrap is amazing though, some of the cirque du soleil shows in Vegas use it, so it needs to be reliable!

Powder coating you need to have them do the whole pole.

If you don’t think sweat is the issue, I would now try this grip aid combo as now your hands might be too dry? https://www.studioveena.com/videos/view/5e418c06-b198-4d3d-a806-7ffeac110005

Grip is a funny thing, if we mentally feel it’s going to be an issue, often it’s far worse than it could be. Before investing a ton of money try the warm up, this one is meant to warm you and the pole https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/525b64a6-b328-401e-85e7-456c0ac37250 don’t crank the heat too much if that makes you sweat and just dance a bit without focusing on “are my hands slipping?” try to get your mind of the moves, so keep it simple.

• Veena

Administrator
    March 23, 2020 at 3:38 pm

Here’s my pole with the grip wrap!

• katie8770

March 24, 2020 at 4:11 pm

Thanks for your replies! So I’m wondering if it could be a combination. I tried practising again yesterday. For the first couple of minutes my grip is great (using a bit of dry hands as well) but then it’s like once my hands are warmed up that’s when they feel super slippery. The longer I pole the worse it seems to get and I’m putting dry hands on constantly. I’m able to do some “harder” spins but eventually I had to put on my gloves.

I also slipped while trying the Superman and fell but thankfully I had put a pillow down 🙁 I just can’t trust my grip on this chrome pole.

The wrap looks super interesting – I think I’d rather try this before powder coating it. I will measure my pole and see if I can still order it given the Covid issues at the moment.

Thanks for your continued help it’s really appreciated. I want to be able to practise!

• katie8770

April 23, 2020 at 5:54 pm

Hello! Its been awhile, I ordered the grip wrap and WOW. Sticky x10000000000000 Absolutely impossible to slip off. It’s great. Except it tears my skin and I was bleeding yesterday lol :/

I think I’d still like to powder coat my pole (and then use the stunt grip when trying something I’m really not comfortable with so I KNOW grip won’t be an issue)

Are all powder coatings the same? The place in Montreal like I mentioned hasn’t ever done dance poles but AFAIK powder coating is powder coating??

• Veena

Administrator
    April 23, 2020 at 6:25 pm

Ouch, yes you need to cover your skin when using the wrap!

I don’t know what the difference would be in PC…I know that the SV pole I use to sell felt different than the PC xpole has….I know the pole I had done at the motorcycle show is the stickiest…for me anyway.

• katie8770

April 25, 2020 at 8:50 pm

Ok makes sense! I didn’t know clothes were a must haha. The only places I’m finding around here seem to all be car/motorcycle related. I guess as long as I show them where to stop and to avoid the holes it should be ok? I might have to wait until this pandemic is over.

• Veena

Administrator
    April 25, 2020 at 8:53 pm

I’d go to a motorcycle place, that’s were I did mine and they were very helpful.

• Davedeeking9167

April 26, 2020 at 5:04 am

I had my stainless steel pole powder coated at a powder coating paint shop this year and I love it. I still have to use dry hands on cool dry days but it’s much easier to use now. I’m going to get that tape too so I have more grip for tricks. I can still spin on static mode but it’s not as easy so I use spin mode to spin mostly now. Also sliding down the pole is a little rough on the thighs so don’t do that with powder coating .