StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Poling & the gym

• Poling & the gym

Posted by KateA on February 5, 2018 at 4:01 pm

Hello!

So, I’m considering cancelling my gym membership & just focusing on my pole workouts as I am struggling to fit everything in & make progression in any of it, figuring if I focus on ‘one thing at a time’ I will make more progress … – I’ve just created a home ‘H.I.I.T.’ workout, which is making the idea easier as I will miss the lifting weights aspect,

My question is, does anyone just do pole & stretching? How easy is it to progress? Any top tips for just doing pole and incorporating cardio work (I can’t do impact work due to degenerating disc disorder)

Thank you so much, thoughts and experiences gratefully received,

Kate xxx

Karen DJ replied 6 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Miracub1995

February 5, 2018 at 11:58 pm

Hi! I’m like you I’m trying to do so much at once that I just get discouraged or frustrated lol plus I’m trying to lose weight too. But usually what I do is for a warm up I’ll do pilates or P.I.I.T which is cardio and pilates together. Blogilates on youtube has a lot of great videos. I also alternate days so like one day I’ll do ab pilates for a warm up and then leg pilates for a warm up another day and so on so that way I’m building strength off the pole too. I also really hate doing cardio LOL so I dont usually do cardio warm ups because my heart rate usually goes up pretty high just from dancing on the pole alone. Then after that I just work on some pole moves or pole strengthening exercises and finally after that I’ll do about 20 mins of stretching. But on my rest days I will stretch a little bit longer so I can get flexible faster. All this together gives me about a 45-60 min work out and I’m done. So yea technically I’m only getting progress from pole and stretching and I’m seeing slow but good progess. Hope this helps! Sorry its so long LOL 🙂

• Veena

Administrator
    February 6, 2018 at 4:51 pm

I use to love lifting, but it’s been years since I’ve bothered with a gym membership. The majority of my training is on pole, body weight or yoga. I do have a set of heavy adjustable dumbbells at home a suspension trainer and big ball and items like that.

If you’re looking for a workout using the pole or body weight try any of my 30 day nailed it programs! I designed them so you don’t have to come up with daily routines, it’s all done for you stretching is included!!! There are lots of routines here for strength, you’ll find some good ones that are not even pole related. A lot of people like the hammock routines.

• KateA

February 6, 2018 at 6:11 pm

Thank you so much both, I realised that my poking actually went back a step when I started going to the gym … as I was missing out on pole workouts, at that time following your amazing 30 day plans Veena – to have the reassurance from you both that it’s more than possible without the gym is perfect … gym membership cancelled!

• KateA

February 6, 2018 at 6:12 pm

*poling – the poking remains consistently above average …

• Karen DJ

February 13, 2018 at 3:46 am

I didn’t renew my gym membership last summer once I got a pole for home in May. I had stopped doing weight machines because my joints hurt when trying to set them back into place. Anything less wasn’t a workout. I set up a suspension trainer for off-pole days and am on the used treadmill I bought almost every day. Yoga and stretching as many days as I can. Foam roller is to be delivered Friday. This all feels like the perfect balance. I don’t think the gym is for people like us.

The HIIT looks okay, but just make sure you maintain the parts that aren’t your focus at the time. However if you’re actively poling, there aren’t many muscles you won’t be working! All the best- hope it really works for you!