StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Pole photo shoot advice

• Pole photo shoot advice

Posted by SunnySol on February 7, 2016 at 10:13 pm

Hey guys! I’m going to have my first pole photo session in two weeks! I’m going to have about 25 minutes with the photographer. How many poses should I prepare for that time? How long should I be able to hold these poses? For example, I’d love to do an extended butterfly, but I think I can only hold that on static for 15 seconds.

Within 25 minutes, I don’t know how many times I can change. So I think I should have only one outfit and be really happy with it. The pole will have stunt grip wrap which means I can wear anything and stick to the pole easily. I wanted to wear jeans! Oh I don’t know, guys. What do you think? Advice! Please!

poleisnewtome replied 8 years, 1 month ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • SunnySol

February 8, 2016 at 10:50 pm

Thanks, Christiane! I was only preparing 5 poses for 25 minutes. I should think of more. How long did you hold each pose? Which poses were your best photos?

• Veena

Administrator
    February 9, 2016 at 8:08 pm

I think 5 is good, but it’s always nice to have other options just incase it goes quickly! Don’t for get to BREATHE this will help keep red face away, while doing inverted poses. You might also want to let the photographer know that you would like to do ex butterfly but you can’t hold it long so they are prepared to work fast. 🙂

• jsheridan

February 10, 2016 at 12:14 am

Don’t be afraid to go simple. A nice sit with a cute pose or hair flip usually makes the best photos. Have your favorite hard tricks ready, but all my favorite photos are simple but expressive, versus struggling to stay in a move. That struggle will really show in your photo.

• TropicalVertical

February 10, 2016 at 2:48 pm

Agree about simple – my best shots are usually things like scissor leg plank, a pole sit with the torso turned prettily and a smile and expressive arms, or a nice floaty Leg hang or hip hold I can hold easily and extend arms and point toes whilst breathing and smiling. Trying to hold something like an elbow hold or an extended butterfly for a photo I look like this 😤😤 which doesn’t make a good shot!

Also why not have a look at the gallery here for ideas? The best shots often have the dancer turning her face to the camera with the dancers arms and legs extending out to the edges of the picture equally to avoid foreshortening of one or more limbs – for example, in a butterfly the dancer needs to be sideways to the camera, same in a plank or a layback. If you print out pics from the gallery you can show the photographer how the lines of the pose fill the frame so he can get in the right spot.

Re costume, I think one plain colour works well not patterned or fussy – and you can quickly get different looks by using hats, floating scarves, wind machines, barefoot and heels, hair up/down, and black and white photography.

Have fun!

• poleisnewtome

February 10, 2016 at 4:53 pm

I agree about avoiding foreshortening, TropicalVertical!