StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Pole hold problems?

• Pole hold problems?

Posted by nyxed on May 17, 2018 at 2:39 am

I’m on day 8 of 30 day takeoff and my pole hold is like the tiniest of hops. If I take my toes up I fall immediately. I don’t mind if it’s going to take me a while to get, but did anyone else start this way, or am I doing something wrong? My straight-arm hang seems to be improving a bit (I know Veena doesn’t endorse this, but we do it in my studio class), I can hold that for about 5 seconds. Thanks for any insight you can offer. =/

nyxed replied 5 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • StrangeFox

May 17, 2018 at 3:47 am

Just wanted to chime in and say this is totally normal. This is exactly how I started. I’d grab the pole and immediately sink into my arms. Holding myself up in a pole hold seemed impossible, but now I can do it for 30 seconds. As Veena says in the lessons: even small holds build strength!

One of the things I did to strengthen my pole holds were negative pole holds – when you come out of your pole hold try to lower yourself as slowly as possible and with as much control as you can. You’ll get there soon!

• Veena

Administrator
    May 17, 2018 at 3:21 pm

As StrangeFox said, totally normal. The reason I have you focus on pole holds is to build strength. It’s not meant to be easy, for my method beginner doesn’t always equal easy, it’s about building a foundation! This way you learn proper body mechanics and building strength helps prevent injury! Your studio isn’t wrong to do holds with arms extended, it’s just an easier option but it doesn’t build strength in the same way. It’s great to work on both holds!

Something to remember for extended arm holds, don’t pull the shoulders back and down, instead start neutral, then allow the arms to extend from there.

• nyxed

May 17, 2018 at 4:15 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, guys! Now I know this is what’s expected, I’m happy to keep on hoppin’ 😉

• tielz18896

May 17, 2018 at 4:26 pm

Yes, this is normal as the other ladies have stated. I do core work in between poling and also found pole pull ups on both arms to be extremely helpful. Veena’s exercises have helped me a lot, too, especially the sexy workout one that uses the pole to do arm work on each side (I cannot remember off hand which one it is). The moves in all of these exercises do not have to be huge to build strength. Just keep going and you will get there.

• nyxed

May 19, 2018 at 3:16 am

omg I did it again today and I could feel my tiny hop getting the slightest bit bigger! I tried the negative hold like StrangeFox said, too. It’s happeninggggg~~