StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Pole dancing with a defibrillator/pacemaker

• Pole dancing with a defibrillator/pacemaker

Posted by mrs dunham on January 15, 2014 at 10:34 pm

Hi All!
    Do any of you happen to have a defibrillator/pacemaker implanted? I’m only 25 but I’ve had this thing in since I was 18 and I’m a little worried that I won’t be able to do as many moves etc. and was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this or knows anyone who does.
    -M

Ldadams426622 replied 7 years, 4 months ago 6 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • korinne

January 16, 2014 at 12:03 am

I don’t see why it would. Do you have any movement restriction or exercise limitations currently?

• IchigoMewMew

January 16, 2014 at 1:32 am

I cant see it being a problem, what advice have you been given for exercise in general? As its an older device, I’m assuming 7 years old from what you’ve written, as a cardiac technician i would want to know what systems it has in place for knowing the difference between normal and abnormal fast heart rates. From the point of view of it physically ‘getting in the way’if that’s your concern i cant imagine it being a problem, the leads should be very well seated by now it may just be a bit uncomfortable to stretch your shoulder a lot if its a sub pectoral implant, if its abdominal there may be a couple of moves later on that may press against it (those moves are unvormfortable as hell asit is!) if you have the medical all clear to exercise then go for it 🙂 if it does physically get in your way its likely to be at a more intermediate -advanced level. Sorry that’s gone on forever!

• lauren274630

April 4, 2015 at 1:40 pm

Hi! I was wondering how your pole journey has been going with a pacemaker?? I have been poling for 2.5 years and LOVE it. Have had heart issues for 20 years (I’m 23 now) and will likely get a pacemaker in the next year or so and am wondering how you adapted to learning pole with it in??

• ipole2

April 4, 2015 at 5:39 pm

Hi all! I am also interested in hearing how mrs dunham and others are doing.
    I’ve had a pacemaker for 14 years now (I’m on my second one…) and have been poling for less than a year but will share my experience so far. My cardiologist has told me I have no physical restrictions, and that a certain amount of pressing directly on the pacemaker should not create any problems. As IchigoMewMew said, the leads seat very well after a relatively short time. I was instructed to restrict movement for a period of time (might have been six or eight weeks?)after the initial implant for that reason. I have been told to avoid anything sharp near the area to avoid potentially cutting into anything. My pacemaker is on my upper right chest (my dominant side) and is not implanted very deeply so it really sticks out sometimes. My cardiologist is going to try to cover it little more next time, but I don’t have a lot of fat in that area. Wish they could relocate fat from my thighs 🙁
    I do anticipate that some advanced moves might be a problem where gripping the pole really tightly in the right armpit area is required. That might be specific to just my body/implant, though. I’ve been thinking of possible ways to pad the area and see if that helps.
    Also, as IchigoMewMew mentioned, my right shoulder is not as flexible as my left, although I am working on it. Not sure whether the pacemaker contributes to that but I have always suspected that it did.
    Hopefully others with implanted devices will let us know how they’re doing!

• Ldadams426622

November 9, 2016 at 11:38 pm

I’m glad that there are pole dancers with pacemakers because there is talk of me needing one. I’m thinking that I will tell the doctor that I need to be able to do pullups with my arms so I will need long wires. I also wouldn’t want it in my arm pit. Does anyone have any other tips?

• Ldadams426622

November 24, 2016 at 5:11 pm

I got a pacemaker 2 days ago. I feel better, but scared at the same time. I have to rest for some time, but I will eventually return to exercising.