StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Pole community-need your voice!

• Navinah

September 13, 2016 at 3:07 pm

That is so ignorant and close-minded. I will spare you the rant.. I do not have social media(😳 I know) but I want to be as supportive as I can. I hope this disgrace of a situation will turn over. The pole community is way strong! Thank you for the awareness! It’s always bittersweet these moments but it shows you just how many people are on Your side.

• Runemist34

September 13, 2016 at 4:34 pm

This is terrible, and I’ve seen it come up a couple times before…
    No one can tell women what empowers them! We choose, that’s the point of empowerment. It seems so weird to me that this kind of thing happens…
    But, on the other hand, not at all weird because society often says “Oh yes, be empowered,” but then it turns around and goes “But not that way!” Pole dancers are often associated with sexuality, with being in control of their own sexual selves and not needing male approval for it. Society seems to have issues with this.
    Hopefully things calm down soon!

• AllysonKendal

September 13, 2016 at 6:55 pm

This really bothers me. I’ve seen it all over FB today too. Aside from the content… That’s a STOLEN picture of Marlo, at Body and Pole. As someone who does attend classes there from time to time I do take it personally…. 😡😡😡

• ewebet72116

September 13, 2016 at 9:38 pm

These uninformed, close-minded, people need to open their eyes to the athleticism it takes to do even the basic moves on or around the pole. I had the same response from many people when they found out I was doing “that kind” of fitness. I have the most encouraging and wonderful polestructors and pole mates. It makes me sick when I mention my means of getting in shape, and immediately I become a slutty stripper with no morals or or care. Come on people,
    I am 58 years old, and I hardly have a body that needs to be exposed in public. I chose pole fitness, for just that, FITNESS! I have never sweat so much, had so many bruises, and soreness, and burned so many calories in my life. I LOVE every second of it and wonder why I didn’t start earlier?!?! I do feel empowered by the smallest accomplishment. I find myself standing up straighter, walking with purpose, and being a bit more outgoing. Where is the raunchiness in that?! Sure, I do feel different when I put on my “dance” shoes, but I am hardly strutting my sexiness. I am doing what feels right for me. Does that mean I think of the pole as a giant “joy stick”, of course not. I think of the pole as a tool, a tool that allows me to do amazing things, just as a pencil allows an architect design fabulous homes and buildings. People need to venture out of their comfort zones and take off their blinders and see how breathtaking and artistic these women and men truly are.
    I could go on forever, but I think I have expressed my feelings!!!

• Veena

Administrator
    September 13, 2016 at 9:44 pm

I don’t have time to comment right now but wanted to let you all know I’ve shared this meme created by Angila Hayes to my Studioveena FB page to show support and to make it easy for you all to find and share!

• Catsanctuary177663

September 14, 2016 at 12:40 am

A survey has been created by a non profit to assess people’s opinions of themselves and the sport of pole. It is really quick to take. I encourage everyone to take it and weigh in.

• 33barbwire

September 21, 2016 at 2:44 am

Is there a link to the survey? What’s the non-profit that made it?

• Lula Geddes

September 21, 2016 at 8:14 am

There seem to be a few out there, I think the survey might be this one… https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/N5CLMMH

• Lula Geddes

September 21, 2016 at 11:35 am
  • 33barbwire

September 24, 2016 at 5:40 pm

Took ’em both. 🙂