StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Over a year into pole and still don’t have leg hang

• Over a year into pole and still don’t have leg hang

Posted by AshleyNic on April 5, 2017 at 2:05 am

I’ve been doing pole since December 2015. My studio is an hour away from where I live, so most of the time I only make it to class once a week, and right now I haven’t been able to test out into the tricks class. I do have a home pole but I’m really nervous about not having a spotter or a crash mat, so I’m uncomfortable with anything more advanced than an inverted crucifix 🙁 I really want to get my scorpio and gemini, since they are the base of a lot of other tricks.
    Does this sound normal? I try not to compare myself to other people but it seems like everyone else is making progress faster than me. Has anyone had a similar experience, and what tips/advice would you give me?
    Thanks 🙂

33barbwire replied 7 years ago 6 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Rachel Osborne

April 5, 2017 at 2:28 am

It took me forever to get happy inverting. It is labeled here as intermediate not beginners and rightly so: sure, some people can chuck themselves upsidedown aftef 3 lessons and approximate a leg hang – but they are doing it wrong. If I had truly taken the time to enjoy building strength, stability, grace, muscle memory by enjoying the first 2 years I restarted pole and put the time into flowing, spinning, doing floorwork and flexibility, playing with choreography and freestyle…I would not have been repeatedly injured and I would be a better dancer. If you want to leg hang, if you want to flow, fly then DANCE round your pole FIRST. Every static spin, every fireman to step around, every spin mode freestyle, every single dance where you sweat and strut and lose yourself rolling on the floor is where you build your inversion practice. Then, because your shoulders are strong and know how to engage, your hips know how to lift and your core how to engage, your knee pits knows how to lock and your foot how to pivot and your glutes know how to power you up…it will be easy. This is the Veena method and it works. You will get to a point where you know you are ready and you stand next to your pole, hips in front and up you go. The lessons on inverts here are great. But it’s all the stuff and the lessons you do first that open the door

• Phoenix Hunter

April 5, 2017 at 2:43 am

Everything Tropicalvertical said is so helpful. To add on, maybe try working on jasmine. This will strengthen your knee pit grip without inverting. Work on side climbs too!

• AshleyNic

April 5, 2017 at 2:46 am

Thank you, TropicalVertical, you made a lot of good points. I’ve definitely felt the pressure to push myself into doing tricks I’m not ready for, and I forget to build up my basic skills and enjoy the journey.

• LatinPoler

April 6, 2017 at 5:09 pm

I can feel you, I’m in general a slow learner and a little chicken, so inverts are always a challenge for me. I always felt I progressed slower than other students in my previous studio. It took me almost 1 year to do a butterfly comfortably, while other ladies did it at the second try.

Now, looking backwards, I’m happy to have taken things slowly, because that allowed me to build the strength and confidence. I think that in pole is much better quality and quantity, lines and technique are key for aesthetic and safety. It blows my mind every time I see people trying a new trick every day, and maybe doing it, but with flexed feet and jerking out of it. Some don’t even have the strength to invert and have to jump and do that ankle hook thing. That’s neither pretty nor safe! I know of somebody who injured herself because she didn’t have the strength to control the dismount from an invert and hit the ground too hard. Take it easy! Things will happen when they have to.

Good luck 🙂 

• LatinPoler

April 6, 2017 at 5:10 pm

quality *than* quantity

• travelerunderstars4916

April 6, 2017 at 9:23 pm

I’m a little over a year into pole and am still working on the basic Invert too! It’s my goal to get into these tricks this year but I have been taking it more slowly than others. Partly because I am at home and not in a studio and partly because I work crazy hours and keep taking mini breaks off the pole. I’ve certainly been very frustrated when I see others doing tricks and flowing so beautifully but I love pole and keep reminding myself why I got into it in the first place. For the self confidence and freedom dancing brings! I hope that helps, I was certainly encouraged to read your post and recognize that I’m not the only one!

• 33barbwire

April 9, 2017 at 11:21 pm

Everyone progresses differently! I’m almost three years into my pole journey, and I’ve had an invert before, lost it, had to relearn it, learned it safer, and now I’m just now getting them pretty consistently, but they’re not exactly pretty yet. Honestly, stick with Veena’s stuff, and do it as consistently as you can. You’ll get there!