StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Outdoor gyms

• Outdoor gyms

Posted by bformosa922163 on February 3, 2016 at 3:33 am

It wasn’t long ago when my local council built free outdoor gyms at various local parks. (In Australia).

I thought this was a brilliant idea. I’ve only ever been once, but nonetheless, brilliant..

Some people just don’t have the space to have their own gym and some people don’t have the consistent time to commit to a gym membership.

On this note, how awesome would it be if they built an aerial playground?… Eg, playgrounds which consist of hammocks, silks, poles etc.

Anyone else ever had that thought?.

Veena replied 7 years ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Lee lee

February 6, 2016 at 10:49 pm

I believe they have them (not pole/aerial specific) outdoor gyms in places where the climate is mild year-round. Venice Beach in California has structures that you can climb.

That being said, you can imagine my surprise when I saw this one day as I was on my way to an event.

Needless to say, I was late for it 🙂

• bformosa922163

February 7, 2016 at 2:49 am

Oh nice.. Yeah Australia has them at various places.. Some have x trainers.. Would love to see an aerial specific one though.

I suppose you could hang a yoga hammock on those bars. And there’d be enough room to put an outdoor pole there.

There’s a playground in my street that I’ve been eyeing off for ages thats similar to that photo..

• dustbunny

March 22, 2017 at 12:42 am

@Lee Lee These were popular in Canada when I was a kid in the 1980’s. I used to see them all the time. They are nearly all gone now. 😕

• MafiaPrincess

March 26, 2017 at 11:40 pm

I think they were deemed unsafe :/ When I was a kid, also a child of the 80s they were in almost every elementary school yard as well as bigger parks. Most have been demolished for ‘safer’ equipment.

• Veena

Administrator
    March 27, 2017 at 12:25 am

We have a brand new outdoor gym on the bay in SF. I’ve always thought it would be fun to go use it!