StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Older Popcorn Ceilings + X-Pole = Asbestos Risk???

• Older Popcorn Ceilings + X-Pole = Asbestos Risk???

Posted by StrangeFox on December 17, 2017 at 5:55 pm

I know some older popcorn ceilings may contain asbestos. Might there be a risk involved in installing an x-pole on one of these older popcorn ceilings? I imagine the rubbing of the dome across the ceiling may constitute as enough disturbance to release asbestos fibers into the air. How worried about this should I be? We have ceiling fans, etc…and I imagine those would disturb the popcorn ceiling just as much as a pole. Surely others have installed x-poles on older popcorn ceilings and have been fine?

My house was built in 1975 and the ceiling has not been tested for asbestos so it is a possibility. I live in Canada.

I’m kind of freaking out about this since I discovered the risk while researching how to best install my new pole. It’s totally ruining my new pole room setup, which should be a happy thing!

I’ve already installed one pole on a popcorn ceiling and it definitely disturbed the “popcorn” – both when the pole was being put up and used. I’m panicking that I’ve exposed everyone to asbestos. My fi thinks I’m being silly and feels this “unnecessary panic” is worse for my health than the potential exposure I’d be worried about.

StrangeFox replied 6 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • X Pole Tech

December 18, 2017 at 12:58 pm

The X-Pole upper dome should not move about on the ceiling, only when the pole is put up or taken down and even then it should not break the ceiling surface.

However, if you are concerned about the popcorn being broken(and would be good to check if the ceiling is asbestos or not) one way is to replace the upper dome and install an X-Pole home mount.

https://x-pole.co.uk/shop/mounts-and-fixing/home-mount.html.

Many people are using these now. It is small and unobtrusive, and once installed stays in place (2~4 screws only into a joist).

If the suction from a vacuum cleaner is used during and after installation, to remove any particles, going forward there should be no further ceiling disturbance. If there are still worries the home mount might disturb the ceiling surface then a circular plate, 1″ larger in diameter than the mount, can be cut from a sheet of plastic or plywood to spread the load and stop any particles from dropping.

Please contact your local country X-Pole supplier to purchase the home mount.

X-Pole Tech Support

• Veena

Administrator
    December 18, 2017 at 6:50 pm

Thank you for the reply Xpole!

• StrangeFox

December 19, 2017 at 1:22 am

Thanks so much, XPole! Your reply is much appreciated! I think screwing something into the ceiling might disturb it more, but I do love the idea of having a permanent mount (if only my hubby would let me install one!).

This makes me feel a bit better, although I’m still kind of freaked out by this. My husband thinks there is nothing to worry about as he’s quite certain the previous owners did a lot of renos (created a back door onto the deck, finished the basement). The popcorn ceiling in some of the rooms looks different (fresher, and without a border) than in other rooms, so there’s a good chance it was replaced at some point. I’m still a bit scared but I tend to be a little anxious about this kind of stuff. I’ve worried myself sick already!

Thanks again for your reply. 🙂

• X Pole Tech

December 19, 2017 at 8:15 am

Attaching the mount to the ceiling requires 2 long screws into a joist. The holes are of course under the mount so not seen and 2 screw holes cause very minimal damage. If it then removed just a little filler over the holes and a bit of paint and no-one will ever know it was there!!

Photos were taken this morning in our UK conference room. The bearing now has a white seal (not shown in photos)so the home mount virtually dissappears into the ceiling visually.

X-Pole Tech Team

• StrangeFox

December 19, 2017 at 1:14 pm

Thanks so much!! Those look so slick. I’m going to show my hubby and see if he’ll budge. He seems to think our joists are too small to fit the mount. How large does a joist have to be? Ours appear to be 1 and a 1/2 inches if the stud finder can be trusted, although they may be a little smaller.

Also, installing the pole with the dome causes minimal damage/disturbance of the popcorn and we’d be leaving it up permanently so… it’s probably a negligible risk either way.

• Veena

Administrator
    December 19, 2017 at 8:36 pm

That new white mount looks great!

I really suggest buying a mount Strangefox…..I LOVE mine (I’ve got 3 at home and have bought them for places I like to dance at too) lol I use them all the time even though we rent our homes. It’s really not a big deal to fill the holes when you leave and it makes taking down and setting up so fast!

• StrangeFox

December 20, 2017 at 5:30 am

I know!! That’s the sleekest mount I’ve seen yet! Augh…I have a mount for my 40mm pole but the fi won’t let me put it up! He caught me conspiring with a friend of ours and nearly had a hissy fit (and then I had one!) I have no idea why he’s so against the mounts. We own our house and he still won’t let me put them up. I think he’s worried about damaging the house before we move (probably within the next 5-10 years). He’s got an idea in his head and no amount of proof to the contrary will change it. 😛

I’ll bet in addition to ease of installation and security they also make it less likely that you’ll over-tighten your pole! I waaaaant it! LOL!

• hottielolo

December 22, 2017 at 9:20 am

Does anybody know if an xpole can be installed in a mobile home? I recently moved into a double wide trailer with vaulted popcorn ceilings. Not sure if I can install pole! Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. ❤

• Veena

Administrator
    December 22, 2017 at 11:37 pm

Yes people have set up a pole in a mobile home. You need to find out where the joists are just as you would in any venue.

• hottielolo

December 23, 2017 at 12:08 am

Thanks so much Veena! This really worried me. I bought my pole almost a year ago and have only been on it once or twice. This is my second pole and I’m really ready to start back learning!! ❤

• StrangeFox

December 23, 2017 at 12:25 am

Good luck hottielolo! I get pretty nervous when I install poles. I’m not very handy and I’m always afraid I’ve done something wrong. I’ve emailed X-Pole a few times asking questions, and I’ve asked on here a bit, too. Their customer service is magnificent and the techs really know what they’re talking about. Can’t recommend them enough… Even though I know there are other reputable pole manufacturers, I wouldn’t buy another brand of pole. 🙂