StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Now what?

• Now what?

Posted by nyxed on July 4, 2018 at 4:56 am

I’m sure there are like 500,000 similar posts here but I couldn’t find one that really addressed my situation. I just finished the 30 day takeoff (it took me more like 60 days because of vacation and taking days off for studio classes) and I’ve definitely definitely seen some progress I’m really happy with, but I don’t feel like I’m completely satisfied. I can barely pole hold at all still, maybe like 1 second (which is huge progress from my starting “holy shit did my toe even come off the ground?”), and I definitely can’t do any stands, not even a little–my arms just won’t support my weight. I’m also having a really hard time with sits/planks/my thighs being mad at the pole. Should I just redo Takeoff? Should I pick and choose days from it to redo? Should I try to go it alone for a while and focus really hardcore on upper body strength? Should I try to fumble my way through another 30-day program for variety’s sake? I am pretty burnout-prone and also injury-prone, so I want to find a solution that will keep me from getting discouraged or hurt. XD

Veena replied 5 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Veena

Administrator
    July 4, 2018 at 5:04 am

Depends on your goal! What do you want out of pole?

• nyxed

July 4, 2018 at 5:31 am

Hmmmmm that’s a good question! It’s the first thing I’ve done where I really wanted to challenge myself, to see what I could do, and the first time I’ve ever been proud of doing something physical. I’ve never been very fit, and there are so many things in pole that I’ve looked at and thought “no f@#$# way” but then I manage to pull them off and it feels so great! I have anxiety and chronic pain and I was amazed that I didn’t mind the bruises. I also like the dancing part–I was a belly dancer off and on for 8 years, but I never really worked on perfecting the moves or doing conditioning at home. This has just clicked for me, and I want to keep doing it. I don’t really have any plans for competing or performing or anything. Occasionally I show off to my husband or on instagram. I guess I just want to keep feeling like I’m making some sort of progress toward doing something cool that I couldn’t do before. ….is that useful answer? XD

• Runemist34

July 4, 2018 at 10:32 pm

Hey Nyxed!
    I also have anxiety, and sometimes, I have chronic pain, too. It sucks! And I’m so glad you managed to push yourself through this first part of the pole journey, and found that it clicks for you!
    Interestingly, we always talk about “goals,” like they’re something that PULLS you forward- as in, something that is ahead of you in time, that makes you work toward it.
    However, it sounds like you experienced something different. The PUSH, which I think of when we get curious and “see what we can do.” Instead of looking toward the awesome future, we’re instead looking back and comparing our progress to what we could (or could not) do before, and finding that a positive experience.
    To accomplish things, I believe we need both. The push and pull of a lifestyle, even if it isn’t every day or everything you think about, is the thing that keeps us going back.
    When I was training for my 10k run the first time, it was the Push to get better than I was doing before, and the Pull of my actual event coming up! They worked together to keep me going, and that is probably the ONLY reason I actually did the thing.

As for pole goals, I would encourage you to think about what you like looking at when you seek out other pole dancers, and also, why you like looking at it! If you love to watch that slow, slinky, sexy stuff, then why? Are you amazed by their movements, their flow, their bodies? Is it the control they have when they do actually execute those big “power moves”?
    Or, do you love watching the tricksters? Is it because they are so strong? Do you love the flips, the flags, and the feats of strength? Do you love how they just throw themselves in and out of so many moves, and it all seems crazy, but you know they’ve worked on it for months?

I find that what I like to look at is what I would like to see in myself. Knowing the why of something gives you a really great direction. If you love the control, the strength, and the flow, then you can work on those things! If you love the flips, get into flips! If you love all the booty shakin, then do some booty and don’t mind all the new Instagram trend wandering around!

Good luck!
    And don’t forget… you can change your mind, if you want, too 😉

• Veena

Administrator
    July 5, 2018 at 4:27 am

If you’d like to keep pushing and growing then changing things up is good! Try working on the nailed it invert program, don’t worry you don’t have to be close to inverting to start. It’s a great way to continue working on what you know and learn some new stuff.

If that seems too scary then you can try doing the take off again and adding more reps, and different moves in place of what is suggested.

You can also try working in the Flow Program. Remember with any of the programs you can add in any individual moves you’d like to work on! Just do them at the end or wherever it fits in the program for you.

• nyxed

July 5, 2018 at 3:54 pm

Runemist: Thanks for this perspective! I guess my pull is more of the sexy flow and pretty lines. Tricks are a fun addition if I can make them happen, of course. I like floorwork and fan kicks and spins and I’ve always wanted to be able to do the splits (although I’m not doing flexibility training just yet as I’m in physical therapy to strengthen a just generally wonky leg).

Veena: Thanks for the suggestions! I looked at the invert program and it seems like a lot of strength training I could use. I don’t have the prereqs in the intro video, though (I can pole hold maybe 1 sec but not enough for a hold spin, although I can do a side hold with a tuck and a single climb)–is it ok to try as long as I stay aware of my limitations? I suppose if it seems too hard I’ll bounce back to take off.

• Veena

Administrator
    July 5, 2018 at 4:27 pm

Yes, I would just give it a try and if it’s too challenging move in to the flow program!