StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Newbie Pole Dancer at Home

• Newbie Pole Dancer at Home

Posted by DunnaStunna on September 15, 2016 at 1:04 am

Hi there!

I’m new to pole and just practice at home due to the distance for me to drive to get to a studio. I do have a history of dance so I feel like that helps with the conditioning/form. That being said, I’ve had two kids since I danced and gained a lot of weight. I’m still struggling to hold myself on the pole (Pole Hold easiest version still difficult for me).

I’m working on the 30 day take off and I starting snooping through the other lessons. I LOVE the look of the Flow program but that just seems forever away. I don’t know that at the end of 30 day takeoff I’ll be able to move towards some of those spin combos.

Any ideas on how long it normally takes to hold yourself up on the pole? Will doing the flow after the 30 day takeoff be ok if I can’t or should I just repeat the 30 day take-off until I can hold myself on the pole?

Thanks in advance!

Brittanyshanah1326 replied 7 years, 6 months ago 7 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Veena

Administrator
    September 15, 2016 at 4:33 am

Welcome to the site!! It’s different for everyone, however by the time you finish the program, most will have a solid pole hold. This will make spins safer because you’veyou’ve developed the strength to hold yourself up. The flow program isn’t super advanced so depending on how quickly you feel confident with the moves you might be ready after the take off!! Just remember that any progress is good progress and there’s lot of other things to work on too!💜

• Brittanyshanah1326

September 15, 2016 at 4:36 am

I’m in the same situation as you minus one kid, I just put up my home pole and can’t believe how hard it is to hold myself up on it. I’ve tried a few things and so far I can only do the begibing part of the climb, like I get up, but then I cant pull myself up to cominue climbing further. In retrospect I should have taken a pole class then I would have realized how out of shape I truly am and how much upper body strength is needed to pole. I used to be a dancer 8 years ago and was in amazing shape, I have never pole danced however back then I could climb a 12ft pole easily. I have always wanted to learn to pole dance, I’ve been watching girls on instagram for 6 months now waiting for the day when I could get a pole and start working on my dream. I’ve had my pole up now for 3 days and I’ve started doing some of the beginner work outs but I’m beginning to think I am not going to be able to do this at my current weight, I put on 50lbs in the last year do to a medication I had to take, I’m trying to get off that medication now bc I can’t take being this big. I too would like to know what is the best way to proceed when you are just starting out on your own. I plan to take some classes in the future but right now they are not an option. Any advice would help, I’d greatly appreciate it. Thank you!!

• Veena

Administrator
    September 16, 2016 at 2:14 am

Hi, Brittany! What beginner workouts are you doing? Have you been working on my Take Off Program, do you have any questions about it? If you’re using YouTube you might find what some classify as beginner isn’t! So keep that in mind before you become too discouraged.😊

• Bendy Bella

September 19, 2016 at 5:03 pm

I started my pole journey weighing almost 300lbs with no former pole classes or dance training whatsoever. I couldn’t even manage a pole sit, let alone a climb but my love for the sport pushed me to keep going anyways. Yeah it was frustrating not being able to do anything but use the pole as a prop for a while but I just reminded myself that I would get to where I wanted to be eventually so long as I didn’t give up. I am now 2 years in and 80 pounds down and amazed at what I can now do while looking forward to achieving more feats in the future. Do not give up ladies, lots of luck to you!

• Catsanctuary177663

September 19, 2016 at 5:18 pm

Please stick with it and share your progress with us! I will be 50 in a few days and nothing is stopping me. I have recently taken up silks as well. Veena’s program is spot on and I’m sure you will do great!

• Duopoly

September 19, 2016 at 9:18 pm

This isn’t my thread, but as a newbie who just failed at a pole climb for the 100th time (literally 10 mins ago), I just want to say you guys are awesome.

I don’t feel so frustrated anymore after reading through your posts 🙂

• DunnaStunna

September 20, 2016 at 2:16 am

Thank you all for being so supportive. My end goal is to compete at least once (used to dance competitively). One day I’m hoping I’ll get there. Thanks again. I’ll let you know my progress 🙂

• Veena

Administrator
    September 20, 2016 at 3:40 am

I’m happy to hear that you feel better DunnaStunna!

Bendy Bella, that’s an awesome story, thank you for sharing with us!!

Duopoly, if you’re following the lessons keep in mind that the pole climb placed first in the lessons is for strength building and is the most difficult. Feel free to try the performance climb too! 🙂

• Brittanyshanah1326

September 21, 2016 at 1:26 am

Thank you Veena for your advice and thank everyone for sharing their stories and for the very kind encouraging words. I would love to start the take off program However I still feel like I’m forever away right now I think I want to focus on losing some weight and maybe working on pull ups, push ups and maybe headstands. I think if I’m improve those things then buy a membership when I’m in a little more shape and can do some basics. I know I won’t give up I am so determined to learn how to pole I don’t care how long it takes. You are right about the you tube videos though a lot of them say beginner and they were hard! I need to take a beginner pole class so I can see exactly what they teach ppl who are just starting out. In my area there are a few pole places that look very interesting. One of them is unique in that they only sell packages like the begginer pole package is like a 6 week course that you “graduate” from to go up to the next level. The other pole studios seem to all have packages you can buy and then classes like beginner, level 1-whatever, mix classes and open pole. The One I’m interested in seems to be the only one here that is like a school you have to sign up and wait for the beginning of a class to start up. Anyway I’m really looking forward to eventually being able to be taught in person. Another thing I figured out is that I need a grip aide my hands are sweaty!! I also figured out what it means to warm up or warm up the pole? I mean once I tried climbing after I was done cleaning my room and was a little sweaty or warm and it was soooooo much easier to climb the pole was so much more easier to work with. Well I appreciate the kind words and the support from all of the amazing women here. I really like that everyone reaches out and cares for other polers it’s like a pole family, I love it!!! A!ll you newbs keep it up!!! I won’t give up so you can’t either and in a few years it will be interesting to see where we are!

• LatinPoler

September 21, 2016 at 2:21 am

Ladies, you’ll get there, it will happen, don’t give up!! I am an intermediate-advanced poler now, but I started from zero too. I remember feeling that I could never climb, not to mention sit and let the hands go. I eventually nailed these tricks. Later, when I saw and was taught moves like bat and shoulder mount, I thought I would never be able to do them, due to physical and mental (fear!) reasons. Now I can do both as a combo. Be consistent and it will eventually happen! There will be good and bad training days, just keep at it. Warming yourself and the pole is important. For sweaty hands, I use Tite grip and Dry Hands. You’ll sweat less as you get familiar with the tricks and gain confidence. Anxiety increases sweat. Hugs!! XOX

• Veena

Administrator
    September 21, 2016 at 3:41 am

Brittany, the 30 day take off program was designed for people just like you! There’s no need to train or loose weight before starting. The program actually builds your strength from whatever point you’re at regardless of fitness level or size! You’ll find modifications and I’m always there to help on any lesson if you ask. 😊

• Brittanyshanah1326

September 21, 2016 at 5:17 pm

Thanks veena and latinpoler! Such kind words of encouragement! Venna I’ll have to give them another try I feel like I tried something and just felt it was too advanced for me. Ill give it another try here pretty soon and see if i dont feel differently about them.