Posted by PoleDreamer86 on March 23, 2017 at 4:46 pm

I am new to pole dance, I am so new that I do not even have a pole yet. I feel in love with pole dancing when I participated in a pole party last year. It’s been at the back of my mind ever since. Now I’ve finally decided to take a step in actually learning. Any suggestions and/or advice on how to start and the best pole for beginners. How much space is needed for a pole?

Veena replied 7 years ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Duopoly

March 23, 2017 at 6:57 pm

Welcome Jamie!
    I totally know how you feel. I took an intro class with a friend once, and the memory of it buzzed around in my head for like 3 years until I finally got my own pole 😛

I see you’ve got the lessons. That’s excellent. I know the sheer amount of videos on here can be daunting at first. I suggest you start looking through the beginner section to start with, just to get acclimatised what you’ll be doing soon. Since you don’t have a pole, you could get started with some of the conditioning lessons to condition your body for pole. Veena has a video called “getting started conditioning”, which explains how to go about using the conditioning lessons properly. At the end there are full routines/workouts that you can follow along with.

When you get your pole, or get access to one somehow, you can do the “30 day take off” (in the lessons section). That’ll give you a nice intro to some basic moves, stretching and strength training. It’s a great way to start.

As far as the space you’ll need… I’d say that in the space between the pole and the wall, you should at least be able to extend both arms up to shoulder height. But people have been known to make it work with even less room than that.

• Brittanyshanah1663

March 24, 2017 at 1:21 am

Hey jamie! I would reccommend getting an x-pole. If you cant afford a new one look on Craigslist or offerup, they usually have them there. I know I couldn’t wait to save up for an x-pole and I bought another pole instead, it’s sturdy and an expensive one but even having that pole I still want an x-pole because they are the best and wish I would have been more patient. The x-poles are so easy to set up, dont require any screws in the ceiling and you won’t ever have to worry about them falling down. It really is better to wait and get a good one then have to waste your money on a pole that isn’t sturdy or safe and you can’t do the tricks and moves you want on it. I also started learning on a a spin pole and later realized it is so much easier to learn some strength and basic moves on a static pole first then you can switch to spin when you are more advanced. So even a sport x-pole that doesn’t spin (and is cheaper) would be a good choice if you are just starting out. Lil mynx also makes great professional poles that I always see used on offer up. They are pretty affordable and safe also. Most of those do require you to screw one thing into the ceiling but it makes it super safe and most of them come with a plant hook attachment that covers the hole so no one can see it when you take the pole down. Good luck with everything, don’t get discouraged and down if you don’t see the progress you want fast enough. It takes time to strengthen the muscles you need for pole. Welcome to the pole family!!!

• Veena

Administrator
    March 24, 2017 at 2:22 am

Welcome!! You’re totally in the right place for newbies! As mentioned there’s tons of content here so starting with the 30 day take off program is perfect once you have a pole. If you have access to a playground fireman pole you could use that for a bit if you wanted to start right away. Otherwise, the conditioning, flexibility and floor work sections are all good places to start!

The biggest tip for lesson use is to always watch the first lesson in any section, this lesson will explain how to progress in that section…everything is always in a progressive order making it much easier to figure out then learning on social media.

Xpoles are great and we do sell them just click on “get a pole” at the top when you’re ready! Feel free to try out the hooping and chair dance sections too!