StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions New to Pole Dancing

• New to Pole Dancing

Posted by StrangeFox on April 13, 2017 at 4:44 am

Hey everyone!

I’m new to pole dancing and this is my first post here. This seems like a very knowledgeable and welcoming community so I thought I’d take the time to quickly introduce myself before posting a couple of questions. I’ve only been for two pole dancing classes and already I’m hooked. I’m a distance runner and wanted to take up something fun and challenging that would help me build core strength, flexibility, and upper body strength.

I’ve always been in awe of pole dancers and really wanted to try it so after telling myself for ages that I could never do it I decided to dive right in and give this a chance. I was fully expecting to leave my first class with a seriously bruised ego but fortunately, the only thing to get a little bruised were my knees. 🙂 I was surprised I was actually able to do a fireman spin, and hold my body weight on the pole and slide down. I’ve never been coordinated or athletic, so I was super chuffed I wasn’t on my butt the whole time!

I have a couple of newbie questions…

1) Anyone have any pointers for the back hook spin? I’m feeling like a bit of a loser because I can get it sometimes but other times I totally miss. 🙂 Part of my problem is that I can’t seem to built momentum and I get super disoriented/over think it. Anyone else find this one hard when they were first learning? The first couple of times I tried this I got confused and did a stag spin, then a front hook.

2) When I’m holding on to the pole with my legs lifted, I find it difficult to keep my arms from extending. Will that improve as I strengthen my upper body, or is there some trick to keeping your elbows close to your ribs?

I’m loving the videos I’m seeing on here and hope to one day be even a fraction as talented! 😉

StrangeFox replied 6 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Aquarian Air

April 13, 2017 at 4:39 pm

I like to go into a back hook from a step around or a pole hold, I tried to upload a vid to the feed but it wouldn’t let, I’ll upload a vid to my page so you can see it 😊 and yes the arm strength will come with time and conditioning 💜💜

• Aquarian Air

April 13, 2017 at 4:48 pm

I just posted a vid of what I was talking about above on my page, feel free to check it out 😊

• Veena

Administrator
    April 13, 2017 at 10:59 pm

Welcome! You’ve come to the right place!

1) For static spins it’s about timing, once you understand the foot placement, pivot and timing it will flow well. I teach is with a pivot foot and swing leg. Here’s the Back Hook Lesson https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/51a0e56e-6920-4ee0-a931-53d80ac37250

2)As far as holding while lifting legs, that is matter of building strength in the upper body, core (including hip flexors) and giving yourself time to remember technique. Most things with pole take time. The Sexy Legs and Abs routine would help with that along with the Lower Body Routine!

There are a ton of lessons and programs to help you with your practice including everything you have questions for. All lessons are placed in order from easier to harder and they are place in a way that allows you to build strength to help you avoid injury.

• dustbunny

April 13, 2017 at 11:51 pm

You’ve only had two classes, give yourself time. I couldn’t hold myself off the ground for about a month. It takes time to get comfortable moving around the pole. Timing, flow and momentum are not as easy as they look and just because they don’t require physical strength doesn’t mean they don’t take practice either. I don’t teach a back hook that early so don’t take it too hard if you find it difficult. You will get it just don’t give up. ☺

• StrangeFox

April 14, 2017 at 7:09 am

Thanks so much for the replies! The tips, vids and encouragement are much appreciated!

Aquarian Air – thanks so much for posting the video! You look gorgeous and so graceful! I can’t wait to get that graceful and natural looking on the pole. 🙂 Once I get stronger I’m definitely going to try that and see if I find it easier. When I do back hook I step forward into it and I find it difficult because I get all disoriented and end up leaning too far forward or bending my legs at the wrong time. I must have attempted the move twenty times and got it maybe 3 times. It was so rewarding when I finally managed to do it, though. Next class I might get a pole near the mirror just so I can see what I’m doing.

Veena – thanks a bunch for posting a link to the back hook tutorial video! And I’m definitely going to check out the strengthening exercises. 🙂 I think I already see a couple of things I’m doing wrong. I tend to lean really far forward when I step forward and then I get almost horizontal when I’m swinging the outside leg (almost like I’m going into toppling tree for yoga). That may be why I’m not getting enough momentum to hook my leg. I like that the video shows a slowed down version. It looks like she’s swinging her outside leg backwards in the standing static version. I’m stepping forwards and trying to swing my outside leg all the way around forward. I think the idea in class is that I’m supposed to take a full step and then extend my leg backwards. They’re trying to encourage us to walk around the pole a few times before spinning, but I like to do the spins from a standing position first so I get the feel for the move.

dustbunny – thank you for the encouragement! It’s hard to remember that it’s not an activity our bodies are used to and it takes time to build strength and confidence. Also, it has only been two classes (one per week) and I don’t have the option of practicing between classes so realistically I can’t expect to nail every move the first time. The back hook was the only spin we learned that class and I was so busy trying to get the move down that I didn’t notice if anyone else was having trouble. I am not sure how they select the spins for the absolute beginner class. Apparently we do stag/ballerina in the final class but I found that one loads easier and more natural than back hook. The teacher is awesome though and was telling us not to worry if we don’t get something right away or don’t look like the YouTube videos we watch. It all comes in time. 😉

• Aquarian Air

April 14, 2017 at 12:59 pm

Tha k you so much for the compliment! I look forward to following your accomplishments 💜

• StrangeFox

April 29, 2017 at 2:41 pm

Just an update: I’m still working on back hook spin but after 2 more classes and 1 practice session I am finally getting the hang of it! I can even do it on my bad side. I’m just working on consistency and making it look graceful now. (I still flop around like a walrus when trying to do a sexy get up, and sometimes I miss hooking my leg and hit my butt on the pole!)

In the introductory pole class back hook and fireman were the only spins we learned and in the third class the instructor acknowledged back hook was tricky. In the practice session the instructor showed me an easy way to gain momentum by going into a front turn and told me I need to open my hips more. Apparently I’m getting anxious about falling and I scrunch up which is normal for a beginner. With practice I’ll build strength and confidence. I’m looking forward to that.:)

Veena – thanks for the videos. They really helped and I find your way of getting into back spin easier than the way we’re taught in class. One of the other instructors at the studio I attend recommends doing the back spin your way, too. I’m planning to get a membership to the site when I get my pole next week so I can review spins at home.