StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions New approach to tendon injuries

• simulpole

August 27, 2009 at 2:17 am

Wow, great info! Thanks for sharing.

• Veena

Administrator
    August 27, 2009 at 2:26 am

Thank you for this!!! This is how I have been treating my bicep tendon issue after the exercises the physical therapist gave me caused more pain. I decide to try my own thing….eccentric and isometric movement… it has giving me fantastic results! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif I think DRs might start to see more tennis elbow (lateral pain) and golfers elbow (medial pain) all in one injury…and we should call it pole dancers elbow, because it would affect both medial and lateral! LOL Ladies take care of you arms…stretch, warm up and don’t over train. Very cool article. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif

• PoleSkivvies

August 27, 2009 at 2:03 pm

Glad you thought it was useful – I’m going to have to start incorporating it into my workout, too. My tendons hate me sometimes. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

• azzwoo

August 27, 2009 at 5:26 pm

I find it a wee bit dodgy that the study was just ‘terminated’, surely a proper scienitific study can’t do that?? Wouldn’t they need to show the long term results rather than just short term? I’m always tentative on seemingly easy fixes! If it works thats great, has anyone here used it and can give us a review??

• PoleSkivvies

August 27, 2009 at 6:18 pm

I don’t know the details of this study, but my masters is in epidemiology (the study of creating health trials), and it is common practice to terminate a study early, if the early results show very clearly that the exercise (or drug) is either significantly helping or significantly harming the study participants.

The line of when to stop the trial varies by what is being studied and what harm is being caused, but it is considered unethical to continue a trial once it is already clearly showing that using it – or, in this case – not using it is causing harm. It looks like that was why it was terminated in this case – because those using the exercise were being helped in such strong statistical numbers over those not using it.

I only read the article, not the study result itself, but the fact of its termination in this circumstance is not a red flag.

• smokinangel

August 27, 2009 at 6:52 pm

think something like this would work for wrists, too? I have an old sprain that tends to flare up just as I’m getting a new trick. =(

• NicciWink

March 30, 2011 at 8:49 am

The article mo longer exists on that link. Can anyone tell me what it said?

• monary

March 30, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Hmm, I have elbow injuries that can flare.  I have done several different therapies.  I also would love to know what this article said. 

Hope someone can point us in that direction

Ramona

• monary

March 30, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Hmm, I have elbow injuries that can flare.  I have done several different therapies.  I also would love to know what this article said. 

Hope someone can point us in that direction

Ramona

• BlueGirl

March 31, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Hi Ramona,

This isn't the original news article but I believe this is the exercises referenced. Hope it helps!

-Lindsay

• stoneycook

April 1, 2011 at 2:26 pm

"Ouch", that's all I have to say". "The older you get the worse the condition", thanks Doc that's just what I wanted to hear … 🙂 Ice, rest and anything that works in terms of anti-inflammatory seems to be the mantra pounded into my brain from all the health professions I've seem over the years. For me what worked over time was daily Glucosamine, MSM and I'm trying a new homeopathic product from Univera for cell regeneration and repair.

Veena sounds spot on with her recommendation of wise warmup activity. One that works for you based around gradual buildup in activities, with limited force and limited repetitions. Range of motion exercises without weight stress followed by the wonderful lengthening stretches.

Since I'm really new to this technique and given the fact pole places so many different new stresses on my joints I'm very happy to have a wonderful instructor who can analyze what I'm doing and bluntly point out "NO not that, try it this way."

• Scarlet Thunder

April 1, 2011 at 2:45 pm

this is the full link http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/25/phys-ed-an-easy-fix-for-tennis-elbow/  It even has a little video. I'm going to try this as I've had wrist problems for weeks now.

• Scarlet Thunder

April 1, 2011 at 2:48 pm

PS it only seems to go to the right page if you copy and paste the link into a web browser. I don't know why?

• chimponaut

April 4, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Has anybody tried this with success??? I have bad "tennis" elbow in both arms and so far cortisone is not working and my dr is considering surgery 🙁 I am trying to avoid that at all costs but I am a pole and chinese pole instructor and do aerial silks and lyra so I definitely over use my arms but I am also good about stretching, icing etc. And ironically both my arms hurt more when I am carrying my youngest son then when I pole!

• Veena

Administrator
    April 4, 2011 at 1:34 pm

@ Chimponaut, have you tried using heat instead of ice? This has worked very well for me with my own injuries. I had some bad ligament injury to my foot (when I broke it) and using heat, massage and conditioning exercises for my foot has done wonders! I also had a bicep injury over a yr ago and was getting no where, until I stopped icing and went to eccentric strength training, heat and massage. I think sometimes we over ice and there for slow down the healing process. When decided how to handle my recent foot injury I had come across a few studies where heat turned out to be more beneficial than the traditional ice, ice and more ice method. Ice is very important immediately following an injury for 48-72 hrs but after that I go for heat. If I find the article I'll post it. If your taking the lessons I also have 6 exercises that are great for conditioning the wrist, forearms and elbows. Starting with this one https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/72a0fb04-b88f-11df-856f-001b214581be

Page 1 of 2