StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions New Age Tan…..the new sunless tan

• New Age Tan…..the new sunless tan

Posted by SpiralOut on January 1, 2012 at 10:21 am

Ok I tried looking on previous forum posts about this, but didn't get any results for it so here I go. I was wondering if anyone had any personal insight or has heard about any results for this product right here http://www.newagetan.com/  I'm really fair skinned and burn easily so I tend to try to stay out of the sun a lot. I would love a nice tan though, and tanning beds are a good answer if you don't mind the UV rays. Well my mother when she was younger she used to tan in the sun and in beds and she ended up with some spots of skin cancer that she had to have removed. I guess because of this I'm more scared to use the other 2 options to tan. I've also tried the drugstore spray-on tans and they either come out looking orange or not but wipe away easily on clothing and bedding even after letting it dry thoroughly. Anyways, I'm just wondering if anyone can give any insight on this product or anything. It seems cost effective…only $100 for a 5-6 month supply you'd pay more than that for salon memberships and tanning lotion not to mention gas. Well if anyone can help me out it would be greatly apprecited. Thanks guys 🙂

Brandi RocknBody replied 11 years, 7 months ago 17 Members · 26 Replies
  • 26 Replies
  • chemgoddess1

January 1, 2012 at 10:51 am

I would never take this….EVER (and I am a chemist who used to work in biomedical and pharmaceutical research).  

Do a google search on melanotan.  Remember Snooki?  That orange oompa loompa from Jersey Shore….THAT is melanotan!  I would also possibly ask the other lilbit on this forum as she has expecience in the bodybuilding world where this is used quite often.  

Look into getting airbrushed by someone.  

• Terpsikhore

January 1, 2012 at 11:05 am

I have heard lots of things about melanotan, unfortunately all of them bad.

The product is not currently licensed in the USA. Here in the UK at least (not sure about the USA legal status), it is illegal to purchase or supply because it has not undergone sufficient testing and there were concerns over its safety – see http://www.mhra.gov.uk/NewsCentre/Pressreleases/CON031009.

It's worth noting that the NewAgeTan.com website itself says in its T&Cs:

The materials for sale are intended for laboratory and research use only, unless otherwise stated on product labels . They are NOT for use as food additives, drugs, cosmetic, household chemicals, or other inappropriate applications. … Buyer acknowledges that the products have not been tested by supplier for safety and efficacy in food, drug, and medical device, cosmetic, commercial or any other use. … ALL products and services offered are for RESEARCH purposes ONLY.·Under NO circumstances shall/should ANY of these materials be used for recreational purposes nor human consumption!!!

Potential unwanted effects include ulcers and infections from poor injecting technique, elevated heart rate, and possibly changes in existing moles.

Ultimately it's your decision, but please do plenty of research and take precautions (for other peoples' safety as well as your own – safe disposal of used needles, for example) if you do decide to purchase this product, as its effects are not yet well understood.

• Mary Ellyn

January 1, 2012 at 11:11 am

OMG…you inject this stuff???

• Dancing Paws

January 1, 2012 at 11:55 am

Sweety, why do you want to be tan? Personally I LOVE being really fair. I was tan in high school because I was in the sun a lot during color guard practice, then switched to being indoors all the time in college and became very fair. I look at before and after picture and I think I look so much better fair (and I am very fair (no tan lines.) Now I am 26 and am starting to get crows feet (probably from all the sun exposure in high school). I burn VERY easily too. It's not just me either. I think most women look beautiful with fair skin, whether they have light or dark hair. This whole fake tan thinkg looks rediculous. Another plus is that you will look younger longer. You just have to make sure you get your vitamin D somehow (diet or supplements.) Don't let hollywood make you think that tan is beautiful because it isn't true. Yes, maybe for some it is, but not all of us. It's just like our body types. We have a variety of body types, and no single type is beautiful, contrary to what the media tries to make us think. Don't put chemicals in or on your body, and don't subject yourself to radiation for a sense of beauty that is quite frankly untrue. You are beautiful as you are! Don't change it!

• chemgoddess1

January 1, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Yeah, melanotan is injectable and is known to cause thickening of the skin and also yellow eyes in some.  If you are prone to freckling you will freckle even worse.  There was Melanotan I and now Melanotan II.  II has been approved by the FDA as a libido enhancer.  It can and will cause erections that last a few days hence another reason a lot of bodybuilders love the stuff.  

http://peptide-guide.com/melanotan2/

• JeHanne

January 1, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I have fond nicknames like 'powder', 'ghost' and even my dermatologist laughs and says I am 'white as the fallen snow'. When I go makeup shopping my girlfriends say I should skip Sephora and go to the morgue for foundations or powder. Clever. 

When I was younger I felt resentful and like an ugly duckling because everyone around me was tan or had a darker pigment. I wasn't comfortable in my skin.

I am now I LOVE my natural pigment. It is how I was made and I don't want to change it!

Please consider your health and safety and continue researching. I would suggest you avoid these tanning options and embrace your natural pigment. Our skin is beautiful regardless of how light or dark it is and we are beautiful regardless of our pigment. 

Wishing you the best of luck and please be safe.

• SpiralOut

January 1, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Thanks everyone for your insight I was just trying to see if anyone had ever heard of it or any side effects from it. Didn't know how safe it really was or not but thanks ya'll weere all very helpful 🙂

• chemgoddess1

January 1, 2012 at 2:47 pm

There is a lot of information about changing the color of your skin be eating more carotenoids….yep….the stuff that is found in carrots and lots of other veggies.  There really is something to eating your vegetables!

http://healthfreedoms.org/2011/03/02/human-mind-finds-carotenoid-glow-more-attractive-then-suntanned-skin/

• Dancing Paws

January 1, 2012 at 3:11 pm

That happened to me when I was a baby…I wouldn't eat anything but yams. My feet ended up turning yellow. My parents thought I had jaundice! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_confused.gif

• Lyme Lyte

January 1, 2012 at 9:05 pm

In the 80's there was something similar.  I ordered them to get a tan for Prom since I am fair skinned.  I think you were supposed to take 1 or 2 a day, well, I took about 10 to get a nice deep tan.  Woke up ORANGE!!!!  Cried all day and skipped prom.  🙁

I wouldn't take the stuff…..

• JackieLiz

May 18, 2012 at 2:51 am

Try the organic airspray. I love it =)

• tarah

May 19, 2012 at 1:37 am

when i was in high school, i used to eat a whole bag of carrots a day!  the palms of my hands turned orange, but no other part of me…  https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_pumpkin.gif

• donnalee

May 19, 2012 at 3:16 am

tarah,

I have seen the "orange hands" you mention on someone else. I had a friend in high school who wanted to lose weight and tried a diet heavy, heavy in carrots and carrot juice. She did lose weight and she showed me how her palms had turned orange. 

• TinyDancer04

May 19, 2012 at 5:54 am

Love it Tara, love it!!

• ThatGirl99

June 12, 2012 at 10:18 am

i agree with chemgoddess – Ive worked for doctors, taught science, and am currently a pre-med student. Never ingest or (dear goddess- Inject) anything to achieve superficial skintone changes. Stay out of UV tanning beds. People are dying everyday from metastasized skin cancer. I live at the Jersey Shore-(the real shore where people surf-not party)/ We love the beach but cover up with clothing, surf shirts, sunscreen and shade. Dermatologists here are inundated with treating every stage of skin cancer. My son has two friends just at  his small school who lost mothers to skin cancer before age 10.  It is epidemic as longterm use of tanning beds is showing it's results.   Ingesting chemicals to change skintone, does alot more cell damage before the manifesting result takes place.  The results of this product will likely not show until year from now.  

There are GREAT and highly effective sprayon tan products and booth systems are finally becoming popular here.   Neutrogena makes a pretty good sunless lotion but the fragrance of most is still not desirable.  The formula used in sunless booths has evolved quite nicely.  Check out Mystic, http://mystictan.com/ – There is also a system called Versa but in comparisons people seem to prefer the Mystic results.  Mystic seems to last almost 10 days, and I have had airbrush done but find it just takes too long and I dont like a person to have to work so hard when a booth can spray it automatically.  My son graduates next week. so I've been saving for a treat of a light spray at Mystic.  t's a nice treat for yourself and getting less expensive.  Theres a national chain called Beach Bum Salons where they have Mystic booths and run specials.  they may have them in your state.

Page 1 of 2