StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Need some suggestions for exercises/moves to build strength & coordination for cartwheel mount

• Need some suggestions for exercises/moves to build strength & coordination for cartwheel mount

Posted by StrangeFox on October 23, 2018 at 4:24 am

Anyone got any exercises/pole moves I can do to work towards cartwheel mount? Are there any things I can do to help prepare my body for this move? The little kicking preps and half cartwheel mount aren’t quite working for me – I feel like I’m missing some of the fundamentals required to make them useful. I’ve been trying for about a year and I’m seeing no progress. I’ve watched the lessons for half cartwheel mount and cartwheel mount on here many times. I’ve been told I have the strength to do the move, but I just can’t get the muscle engagement down. I’m comfortable with ayesha, straight edge, and split grip invert, which I’ve heard are all important in understanding cartwheel mount.

Also, I’m 99% sure I won’t be able to get this move until I can deadlift it. It’s just too scary to leap into the air. I need to move a little slower. Strength building moves that will help me activate the proper muscles would be immensely helpful.

StrangeFox replied 5 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • StrangeFox

October 23, 2018 at 4:31 am

Oooh wait…just re-read the half-cartwheel mount lesson – lol! Elbowstands and handstands are helpful.

Well, I do love elbowstands but I’m out of practice. I am terrified of handstands and have never lifted into one without someone holding my hips while I scream, protest, and grab at their ankles. Hmm… maybe facing my fear of handstands is a good start?

• Veena

Administrator
    October 23, 2018 at 11:30 pm
  • StrangeFox

October 24, 2018 at 12:47 am

Thanks! I love the conditioning exercises and I do the elbow stands but I’m always freaked out once I get to the handstands. I have trouble maintaining engagement through a straight arm so I suspect that is where I’m missing something. I’m not sure where to even start with a handstand, though – just prepping for one makes me break out in a cold sweat. The silly thing is that I can lower into one, or walk backwards up a wall into one with no problem. It’s the actual act of flinging my body upside down while my head is pointed towards the floor that scares me.

I read somewhere learning how to do a cartwheel mount before you can kick up (with control) into a handstand is like trying to learn how to run before you can walk, which is exactly how I feel right now…

• Veena

Administrator
    October 24, 2018 at 1:12 am

The stands routine can help with builded the strength and technique, so don’t worry, give it a try!

• StrangeFox

October 25, 2018 at 3:58 am

Thanks Veena!

• Suzanna

October 29, 2018 at 7:11 pm

I’ve been working on my handstands for two years now. I too was like you, super frightened… I feel like working on handstands is extremely beneficial for the pull practice… pole: a lot of pulling, HS: pushing… it will even out the imbalances. Also, it will build strong traps, shoulders, and all the scapular area (very good for pole)… anyway, start with the belly to wall handstands. Walk your feet up, and just hold hold hold, and push the ground away for life. Build a solid line, strong PPT (posterior pelvic tilt) and push push push the ground away… if you do this for a while, you will feel eventually strong and confident to kick up into it. And from there, your handstand world is yours 🙂

This is how far I came in two years, from a total scary cat that has not been inverted for 51 years… I am still scared, it hasn’t gone away fully, hoping that one day it will… but I spent the first year belly to the wall… building the strength. Good luck, you will love that journey… a lot of patience needed, but you already have it from your pole experience 🙂

https://www.facebook.com/suzannatennisfitness/videos/2296485410383799/

• StrangeFox

October 30, 2018 at 2:58 am

Thanks so much, Suzanna! Yeah, that wall-walk sounds doable for me! It’s the going upside down and depending on my arms for support that terrifies me. I suspect that’s where I’m failing with cartwheel mounts, too. I’m now getting my butt over my head but I just freeze once I get up there and I come right back down.

I’ve always wanted to be able to do a handstand. I’ve always been too scared. I think it’s time to start this journey, as I sincerely believe this is the skill I’m missing.

Amazing video and amazing progression. I’ve seen your IG posts and I am in awe – you look perfectly comfortable when you handstand. 🙂 You have given me hope that I can overcome my fears, too.