StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Need Superman help!

• Need Superman help!

Posted by Emilywellsperritt on July 3, 2018 at 1:57 am

I’ve been poling for two years and, for the life of me, can’t get a Superman from anything but a plank on the floor. Not from Gemini, or Thigh Rest, or Hip Hold, or Shooting Star. Any tips or strengthening advice? I can do a beautiful Superman from the floor, so I know it has to be possible. Thanks!

Clubaudr2985 replied 5 years, 9 months ago 6 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • Allison Erin

July 3, 2018 at 3:44 am

I struggled with this so much too! Have you tried it from a basic invert position? It’s so much easier than from a Gemini because the leg isn’t hooked, so both legs are already together and hips don’t need to twist. Not sure how much sense I just made. But here’s a vid of me doing it: https://www.instagram.com/p/BhNmH2-hftn/

Hope that helps! After I practiced this a ton, it made it easier to enter Superman from other ways as well!

• Emilywellsperritt

July 3, 2018 at 10:44 am

Thanks, Allison! You make this look so easy and beautiful. I’ll try it tonight and let you know how it goes!

• Allison Erin

July 3, 2018 at 1:04 pm

Good luck! =)

• Veena

Administrator
    July 3, 2018 at 4:01 pm

Biggest tip is stay tucked, until after you flip the hips, knees to nose as the lesson goes. Lol I like to rhyme 😝

• Emilywellsperritt

July 3, 2018 at 9:12 pm

Thanks, Veena! I’m sure I haven’t done that enough.

• StrangeFox

July 4, 2018 at 12:54 am

I’m struggling with Superman myself. I got it a bunch of times from a gemini to thigh rest and then I lost it. Now I can’t remember for the life of me how to get back into it.

From what I remember the last time I got this, I believe Veena’s stay tucked tip worked for me. I’ll have to try it again. Allison Erin’s entry from invert looks gorgeous and very doable! I know a few of my classmates have had luck doing it from flatline scorpio, and if you watch the dragon’s tail lesson on here, you can get into superman from that move, too. I’ve been meaning to try that one because I love dragon’s tail and it looks similar to getting into it from the floor (you’re already turned over with your chest facing the ground).

• Emilywellsperritt

July 4, 2018 at 1:53 pm

Thanks, StrangeFox! I’ll try your tips. I tried the invert entry last night, but couldn’t quite manage it. There’s obviously something that my body’s not getting. My lower body is pretty dense while my arms are skinny and stringy, so it may just be that I have to become more stable with that lower arm gun grip.

• MdawWat

July 7, 2018 at 5:27 pm

From hip hold, I assume you mean where you are already in a pike, and you reach up above you to pull your body up I assume? That one was the first I got because I feel like it requires a little bit less release/flip to get into which is the part of superman that scares me the most. Have you tried from flat line? I think one of the reasons the butterfly flat line superman combo is so popular is that it has a good flow to each of the entries. I know it is not quite what you are aiming for, but Veena’s lesson on superman spin might be a fun thing to do in the meantime as well.

• Emilywellsperritt

July 8, 2018 at 12:19 pm

Yes, MdawWat, still struggling with this move! I’ve tried all the options, but think I need to work on more stability with my bottom hand and shoulder. I can’t find the Superman Spin, so, if you could point me there, I’d appreciate it!

• MdawWat

July 8, 2018 at 12:36 pm

🙂 As for the superman spin, I could have sworn the first time I ever saw it was a Veena tutorial but that is really reaching back. I did find this video to give you a basic idea. I feel like Veena taught it as cup grip. Also I find doing dip/half spins where I get really low helps me get more down to achieve a flatter superman look when I do it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVjnA_d_JW4
    Searching for the spin, I saw this superman tip video which you might find helpful though.
    https://www.studioveena.com/videos/view/51fbb772-81dc-477b-987a-5f910ac37250

• Emilywellsperritt

July 8, 2018 at 12:59 pm

Thanks! Beautiful spin. I’ll try it tonight! 🙂

• Clubaudr2985

July 8, 2018 at 5:09 pm

Following this great tips everyone xx

• Clubaudr2985

July 17, 2018 at 6:10 pm

Thanks to all your help i got my superman. What helped me was to think of straighting my legs as I flip my hips. Thanks agsin all xx