StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Muscle Engagement and getting “Stuck” in Iguana Mount

• Muscle Engagement and getting “Stuck” in Iguana Mount

Posted by StrangeFox on May 11, 2018 at 2:16 am

I’m having my classic “how do you engage x muscle” issues again so forgive me if the questions I’m asking sound silly. I’ve been trying to get my iguana mount pretty for a while now. I’m not worried about a complete deadlift yet, but I would like to be able to get into it without leaping backwards and hooking my foot. I actually love iguana/pencil and I’m super secure once I’m in it. I’ve been working on conditioning for this move for a while now and I’ve seen my ab strength increase dramatically (deadlift shoulder mount on a good day, straight leg V invert, pull-ups, and no-hands genie), but I’ve seen zilch progress in my iguana mount.

I’ve watched Veena’s video and it’s excellent but I’m having trouble understanding how to engage the shoulders and contract the abs in this position. When I’m all hunched over I can’t engage a thing! It feels different from not having the strength… I can’t even test if I’m strong enough to do the lift because I can’t even use the muscles. I just feel “stuck” for lack of a better description. Oddly, I now have zero issues finding these same muscles in elbowstand but I had similar grief with that move for a while and my issue happened to be my position (too close to the pole so I couldn’t turn my abs on). I can post a video of myself doing the embarrassing iguana leap if a vid will help. πŸ™‚

Thanks in advance!

StrangeFox replied 5 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Veena

Administrator
    May 11, 2018 at 2:40 am

I won’t feel like an elbowstand because with the Iguana mount the hands are behind you, the legs work the same but the arms feel totally different. I would guess it’s a matter of flexibility and or fear of not doing it right.

Think of it this way, you’re not going to contract a muscle group and then hold….you hold first, as in, lower the body weight into the hands, THEN lift the body. It takes a lot of front folding flexibility to do this and not jump.

Do you have a video of you trying the move? It feel a bit like the Twisted grip handstand press but with both arms. https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/5519a74c-1fc4-47c1-84ac-6eee0a9aa0eb

• StrangeFox

May 11, 2018 at 3:52 am

Ah yes! I’ve learned the elbowstand version of that move, but I have yet to try the TG handstand press. πŸ™‚ What you say about holding and then engaging makes sense. My arms are NOT straight (engaged) when I’m trying to mount, which of course also makes me a bit nervous (leaping into iguana seems like it could get you a ticket to shoulder dislocation station). I am going to give the TG handstand press a try to see how it feels.

I feel like I could be folded more, but then I’m worried my head will be too close to the ground. I always feel like if I try to lift I’ll just keel over to one side – lol! The only time I’ve ever even started to feel my muscles in this move I was folded so far over I was staring up at my crotch….

I’ve posted a video of one of my earlier iguana attempts. Thanks so much, Veena! πŸ™‚

• StrangeFox

May 11, 2018 at 4:09 am

Hmmm… something you said just clicked and has started rolling around in my head. You mentioned you have to hold first…and lower the body weight into the hands. I’m not doing this so my weight is not transferring into my hands until I fling my butt over my head. When I do the TG elbowstand I always reach up, then sink down into my arm before I lift. Next time I try iguana mount I’m going to focus on sinking the weight into my hands and see if anything feels different.

I’m pretty sure the lesson mentions something like this but I just missed it for some reason. *facepalm*

• dustbunny

May 12, 2018 at 2:52 pm

I want to add that working on the negative of the movement and trying to stop and hold the position with your toes just above the floor might help too. Ò˜º

• StrangeFox

May 12, 2018 at 7:25 pm

Thanks Dustbunny! Funny, I was just thinking that last night! πŸ˜€ Thanks to Veena’s tip, I can finally get into iguana safely – without leaping backwards and risking a shoulder dislocation and/or a concussion – and the first thing I thought was: “Onto negatives now!” LOL!