StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Middle splits popped something…

• Middle splits popped something…

Posted by villainvixen on March 18, 2013 at 9:42 pm

I had a class on Sunday. At the end of each class everyone dances to whatever song we bring in. Always a fun time. But in the middle of my freestyle, I did a floor split and came down to middle splits. My upper body pressed to the floor and I used my hips to press down and lift back up. And that's when it happened. POP. Didn't hurt then, REALLY HURTS NOW!! 

So I'm not sure if I pulled a muscle or what. Who can tell me what this is? The pain is located where the thigh and the butt meets. When I walk it hurts. 🙁 A hot bath dulled the pain momentarily. Icy Hot patch was useless. 

Anything to help? 

Veena replied 6 years, 2 months ago 11 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • kaygee10

March 18, 2013 at 9:58 pm

sounds like a hamstring pull. dont stretch it though, its now time to rest that muscle but in the meantime you should ice it. it could take a while to heal, so only stretch your quad (muscle in the front of your leg, look for quad exercises) and itll prevent your hip flexors from cramping up from not stretching your hamstring for a while.

im asuming your muscles in your legs werent warm or you pushed yourself too far too quick.  Either way, what ever you do, do not stretch it until it has finished healing.  for now just ice, compress, and elevate, and once your to that point where your confortable sitting in a floor straddle, perform a nice long warm-up, wear layers if you have to, eat potassium  before a workout(bananas) to help relax muscle, and intake protein (protein shakes or whatever) after every workout to help in the reconstruction of muscle fibers

• ShonaLancs

March 19, 2013 at 3:46 am

I did a similar thing stretching for middle splits, something went pop on the inside of my thigh. At the time it wasn’t painful the day and months after it was and I lost ALL flexibility in that leg.
    I very much recommend rest, do NOT stretch it and visit a Physio ASAP. I left mine alone for about 6 months, it didn’t get any better and as a result my hip has tightened and the nerve in the thigh too. My Physio has me doing exercises for my hip and to lengthen the nerve now. It is helping massively.

• ShonaLancs

March 19, 2013 at 3:49 am

Mine is one of the supporting muscles, probably the gracilus.

• villainvixen

March 19, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Thank you. The muscle seems to be a bit better today. Walking is still a little awkward and stiff, but the pain is diminishing. 🙂 

• Ekinkah

March 19, 2013 at 10:51 pm

I had the same thing happen to me! A loud POP where my butt and thigh meets, when someone was helping me rotate my pelvis down and tailbone up in a straddle. Didn’t hurt at the time, but got worse a day or two later – a year and a half later I am much less flexible in my hamstring on that side, and sometimes it still hurts! I never got it looked at because it didn’t hurt at first. Please please PLEASE go and get it looked at!!

• PrincessPeach

March 20, 2013 at 6:37 am

Visit a Physio as soon as possible. It was the best thing I ever did!

• Miraine

March 20, 2013 at 8:00 am

I've had the same, caused by an overenthusiastic "helper" in an assisted stretch.  My physio says it is a tear, but actually recommended heat pads and then stretching it gently *only when really warm*.  As a result of that, I've actually not lost flexibility at all, although it is still (quite a few months on) very stiff and sore when cold. 

If I stretch lightly regularly, it doesn't trouble me at all.  If I go a week without stretching, it seizes up and gets really painful, and I have to get the heat pads out again and stretch as best I can without bringing it quite to the point of pain.

I know it is of utmost importance to not worsen the injury, hence no stretching is better than stretching too much and injuring yourself further.   But as an injury heals, it will form scar tissue that impedes the motion of the muscles, and *light* stretching during this time will help keep that from forming and help the muscle repair faster (increased blood flow).  A physio is the best person to talk to about this though.

• dlp5057

April 25, 2014 at 8:59 pm

i don’t know as much as others, but i had something similar happen. went to my D.O. and he wants me to go for therapy to treat ischial bursitis, and periformis syndrome. just a thought.

• grayeyes

April 25, 2014 at 10:03 pm

I recently had a similar injury from working on splits in a yoga class. My pain is pretty much right on my butt bone so I assumed it was a pulled muscle in my glutes. I didn’t really rest it because I do therapy exercises every three days for a knee problem that are all lower body strengthening or stretching. After only minimal improvement in six weeks time I went to a sports med doc who diagnosed proximal hamstring tendinitis and recommended gentle stretching (gave me specific stretches), icing two to three times a day and ibuprofen. I’m also going to physical therapy once a week where they have added more strengthening exercises (I am so sick of lower body strength work!!) and also recommended heat once a day and they also do some stretching with me while I’m there. I haven’t seen much improvement yet–suspect it will be time that truly heals it. Like others have said, I would see a doc for recommendations. My hamstrings are tight enough so I would hate to lose any flexibility from having done or not done something I should have during the healing process.

• Meg Smith

April 26, 2014 at 1:04 am

If it pops it tends to mean its torn (speaking from experience) I had 3 very loud quick pops – tore all the attachments at the bottom of my bum (4 months on and its still not right at all. I used to have flat front splits and im no where near now!) Even caught it on cam and uploaded it to my youtube hahaha – im grim i know! 😀

• Meg Smith

April 26, 2014 at 2:31 am

should say too my hamstring tear was from front splits – Also was confirmed by doctor after a examination and i made him watch my full 10 min stretching video in which it happened in just to see if i did something ‘wrong’ only thing he said he said was yes i stretched everyday and gave my self no time to heal and the hamstring got weaker and weaker until one day it had enough.

• Veena

Administrator
    February 6, 2017 at 1:38 am

Carla, what do you mean you popped something? If you have a muscle tear then you need to care for it properly with rest, ice and massage. If you just heard a pop sound and had no pain then you’re probably fine, joint make noise sometimes.

• Queenofwands10009677

February 7, 2017 at 2:56 am

Torn hamstring as a few other ladies already said. Mine took about 2 months to heal. Don’t do anything for a week, then resume light exercise is my recommendation.

• Veena

Administrator
    January 25, 2018 at 4:18 pm

If you heard and felt a pop go see a DR or PT.