StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Middle splits help

• Middle splits help

Posted by Clubaudr2985 on July 22, 2018 at 7:51 pm

Hi all, just looking for some advice re Middle splits. Last week after a warm up, bit of pole practice then stretching I was able to get further into middle splits than I have ever done before, this week can’t even get near to where I was last week. Last week was my first attempt in agrs, i wasn’t even aching the next day either. I’m totally confused, all I can say is I feel the restriction is coming from the top of my thigh, I think my hip flexor???? Any advice greatly received xx

Clubaudr2985 replied 5 years, 9 months ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Veena

Administrator
    July 24, 2018 at 4:37 pm

Hi! It’s super common to feel nice and flexible one day, especially if you spend a good amount of time warming up and then stiff as a board the next try. The restriction feeling can also be how your pelvis and hip sockets are structured. Some people find knees forward ok others can only middle split with knees up, I can only middle split with knees up, hip rotation is key for me!

Have you tried going through the middle split routine here? https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/530180ae-7184-4b5d-8bdf-116c0a9aa0eb

There’s a lot to middle splits but it’s important to remember that it takes TIME and good technique to improve. You might follow a stretching program and feel super bendy one day and stiff next week, and becoming flexible without a ton of warming up takes lots of consistence practice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lv6af4pKQ8

Also one of the least effective methods is just sitting statically in a pose. It’s a good way to learn the correct position at first but then it’s time to be active in the stretch.

• Clubaudr2985

July 24, 2018 at 8:14 pm

Many thanks for your reply veena, I do, do your middle splits routine and will keep stretching and try not to get too disappointed on my stiff days!!! Thanks again Audrey xx

• Veena

Administrator
    July 24, 2018 at 9:08 pm

Good, be sure to include some Flowmotion and many of the strength routines that focus on lower body will also help!

• Clubaudr2985

July 24, 2018 at 9:30 pm

Okay thanks, I do like the flowmotion routines and will have a look at the strength videos. Xx

• StrangeFox

July 25, 2018 at 1:58 am

Awesome progress! 🙂

I’ve been working on my splits for over a year now (mostly front, but sometimes middles). My middle splits are pretty inconsistent. Sometimes I can sink right into them if I’m good and warm, and other times I’m miles away from the floor even after warming up. Front splits are getting a little more consistent but I still have stiff days and flexier days.

It takes me a ton of warm up before I can reach my lowest point in either split, and I’m not perfectly flat yet. For middles, I can’t seem to do it unless my knees are pointing up. I had to play around a lot with hip and pelvis rotation to find what worked for me. Also, I sometimes lower into them with support from a wall, a chair, or my pole.

I do a lot of static stretching. Once I got to a certain point, though, I had to mix some conditioning and active flexibility in with the static stretching in order to see results. I’m struggling a lot right now with active flexibility. I can’t seem to use my new range of motion on the pole…only on the floor. 🙁

• Clubaudr2985

July 25, 2018 at 3:35 pm

Thanks for the help and suggestions, gonna take a good look at my hip/knee position when going into split. veena video also gave me some things to play with and try xx

• LatinPoler

July 25, 2018 at 5:14 pm

I prefer middle splits with knees forward, this position is more “comfortable” to me. I tried knees up and I was able to get lower initially, but not to hold the position long because my feet, especially my heels, hurt! What helped me to get comfy with knees forward was to work on hip rotation and strengthen the hip rotator muscles (gluteus minor maybe?). For that, you can for example stay in your half middle split and rotate the straight leg back and forth in the hip socket. You can also do it from all fours, lifting your leg straight in the air behind you. Or from a straddle, laying on the floor and legs against a wall.

Also, when you are close enough to the floor (a few inches, maybe 3-ish), you may want to give a go to “oversplits”, placing one foot on a block and the other on the floor. Always do this when you are super warm and be very careful! This is pretty advanced.

Middles are hard and take time, I think that besides getting muscle elongation, your body needs to get used to the awkward position and learn to relax and not to freak out… which again takes time.

Last but not least, consistency is key. Even if some days you cannot go very deep, you are training you body to get familiar with the process and position. I personally measure my flexibility improvement not only on how flat or squared I am, but also how I feel. Am I relaxed? Can I hold the stretch longer? Everything hurts and I’m dying? LoL I think stretching deeply 3 days a week is a good dose. 4 at most.

So keep it consistent and slow 🙂

• Clubaudr2985

July 25, 2018 at 8:36 pm

Many thanks for taking the time to reply to my query, defiantly will take your points on board and keep at it. Xx