StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Middle splits getting stuck

• Middle splits getting stuck

Posted by Runemist34 on August 28, 2016 at 6:11 pm

Hey everyone!
    While not specifically pole-related, I know that very many people here either have achieved, or are working on their splits. I am too! But, I’ve gotten a little stuck with my middle splits… literally!
    So, first off, the disclaimer: YES, I know that not everyone is able to get this, as hips and joints may not be able to do it. And, YES, I realize it takes a lot of time and dedication, and I’m fully willing to put that in.
    However…
    When I get myself into a straddle-like position, of any kind (sitting on the ground, up on my feet and pushing my hips toward the ground, or in a “froggy” like position on my belly and bringing my knees upward), I get sort of “stuck.” My inner legs are no longer stretching in the position I can achieve, but something on the outside of my hips seems to be preventing me from moving into a wider straddle position!
    The reason I don’t believe this is a “you just can’t do it” issue is because if I do it with ONE leg, I am easily able to go farther! I am far more flexible using only one leg, rather than both.
    I’m not sure what it is that is keeping me stuck. It doesn’t feel like a bone or joint issue, and really… it doesn’t feel like much at all! If I really push it, it feels sort of vaguely uncomfortable, but not like a stretch.
    Occasionally it’s less of an issue, but as I am getting more flexible, it’s becoming harder to ignore.

It was suggested that my glutes may be very tight and unable to allow these positions (they are very tight, and I’m working on that, too), but I’m curious if anyone else has ideas!

Phoenix Hunter replied 7 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Phoenix Hunter

August 28, 2016 at 8:42 pm

I’m not sure that I understand completely, might need to see a video or pic to understand what position, but I think I might understand. But if you are able to get deeper by doing one side, like a hAlf middle split then you are probably doing things right. Just continue to work on those half middle splits on each side as well as regular middle split. Also, doing some pnf stretches will help. Get in froggy position . Don’t go to your deepest point. Actively squeeze thighs together as if you were trying to pinch the floor together , then release. Do this a few times and it will help to relax your middle split/ froggy position. Also, while in a straddle or middle split , concentrate on turning the legs our from the hip joint. It will be a slight movement that you may not see externally but it is an internal engagement of the external rotor muscles. By actively turning out the hip joints you will get a little bit more freedom in your hip socket and will go deeper. But it sounds like your doing things right and it will take some more time. Don’t force it just let it open on its own but thinking about turning out will help . I can post a video if you need any further explanAtion. Sometimes you’re just at your deepest point and your body is saying ” no more” and that’s why you feel stuck. You can cheat this by doing the pnf exercises. There is also a strength element to all of this. Weak glutes that are not able to support your stretch will revolt by tightening up. Some confuse muscle tightness for muscle strength but it’s usually the opposite. A muscle will get tight as a way to compensate for muscle weakness. Keep plugging along like you are. 🙂

• Phoenix Hunter

August 28, 2016 at 8:45 pm

Lots of typos , sorry… * turn out, not turn out . * rotator muscles not rotor

• Runemist34

August 28, 2016 at 9:45 pm

All, thanks Phoenix!
    Sometimes I wonder if I’m engaging properly and such. This helps a lot! I’m always worried about muscle cramps when I’m working on my middle splits, lol! This should help to work those out.
    I would absolutely love a video, but it’s not mandatory! Your explanation certainly helps a lot 🙂

• Phoenix Hunter

August 28, 2016 at 10:41 pm

I will work on a video soon. 🙂