StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Meal Planning?

• Meal Planning?

Posted by Kietsie kat on January 4, 2017 at 2:20 am

Hey Veena this question is for you but anyone can answer if they want to. What kind of things do you eat during the week for meals and such?

I’m not very good with planning lunchs and dinners. 🙈 I’m looking for ideas that would help balance out my grocery bill and get the variety of the foods that I need too.

Breakfast
    Oatmeal
    Special K
    almond milk
    Eggs
    yogurt
    granola
    raspberries
    Sometimes Smoothies with bananas peanutbutter chocolate

Lunch/Dinner 😜
    Turkey wrap with spinach
    Chicken
    rice
    noodles..
    Canned Soups
    Peppers
    Carrots

Its been bothering me a lot lately. I work 10hr days 4 days a week and I have a hard time eating properly on those days because I don’t really have time to make things, I don’t know what to make, and I’m really tired when I get home.. so on the days I have off I need to make lunches that I can take to work and food at home I can warm up for dinner. If that makes sense 😬 I figured since theres busy moms on here you guys would be like experts on this kind of stuff 🙈

hannimator replied 7 years, 3 months ago 6 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • ammarice

January 5, 2017 at 1:39 am

If it’s only you that you’re feeding, then my experience may be pertinent. As a grad student (no money, no time, wonky hours), I’ve found that making one big meal once a week is the most cost- and time-effective way to keep myself fed. I used to cook 2-3 times per week and now I spend about $50 less per month.

During the week I eat the leftovers for lunch, and for snacks I usually bring yogurt with blueberries or a sliced apple with peanut butter. I also keep granola bars (Kashi) in my backpack for when I get the munchies and/or failed to plan ahead. I tend to eat random stuff for dinner, but I might suggest (if time permits) making two meals at the start of the week, so you can alternate between them.

Keeping frozen items on hand may also work. For example, burgers freeze well, and I eat them with salsa and no bun. You’d have to improvise on a side-dish (frozen veggies?) so you get a more balanced meal, but it’s an idea.

Regarding “what” to eat I’m not sure if I can be of much assistance, since I know there are healthier dishes than what I typically prepare…but they are yummy. My favorites are Chicken Tikka Masala, Beef Bulgogi, Sichuan Pork Stir Fry, and Chili. I like to make one-dish meals, so I’ll usually add some extra veggies like Tomatoes, Snow Peas, Bok Choi, etc., so long as I feel it fits well with what I’m making. I usually serve everything with rice. Sweet potatoes also make a good side because you can prepare them quickly in the microwave and they don’t require extra prep work.

I hope at least some of that is helpful!

• Claire Moon

January 5, 2017 at 2:29 am

I know all about those 10 hr days! Sometimes I make just a really simple batch of meals for the week like chickenbreast, a roasted Vege like carrots or squash and long grain wild rice. I shove them all in individual tupperwares and I’m ready to go. I’ll prep snacking fruit and raw vege with hummus as well. Or I make a vege chicken casserole and I eat that all week for lunch. Sometimes things get real sad and I bring like…a can of smoked herring haha. For breakfast I eat a lot of avocado on whole grain toast. Or I just chug a protein/casein shake. My eating tends to revolve around avoiding sugar and other white carbs. I still eat bread and rice, just the heartier varieties.

Finally. The blender stuff: I eat a lot of pineapple. I save the cores and blend them with frozen berries and spinach. Sometimes I put in a tomatoe. Makes for a pretty solid homemade v8 sort of deal. I’ll drink that at work when my lunch inevitably gets delayed.

• Lydia Addams

January 5, 2017 at 3:18 am

Like above, I cook one day and divide it up for the week. This week’s dinner is salmon with broccoli, mashed sweet potatoes, and cottage cheese. For breakfast I eat a Lenny & Larry’s Complete Cookie, and I throw together either a shrimp or chicken salad or wrap for lunch. I snack on Babybell cheeses, Frigo Cheesehead sticks, and raw veggies.

I keep track with MyFitnessPal to make sure I hit my macro and micronutrient goals.

• Veena

Administrator
    January 5, 2017 at 5:10 am

What do I eat?! Hmm here’s an example:

Breakfast: Oatmeal pretty much every morning, with goodbelly juice or tea

Snack: Protein shake after AM workout

Lunch: Tuna, sautéed kale and sweet potato or pasta

Snack: Chips and salsa

Dinner: This varies a lot from tacos to stir fry to pizza but it’s all made at home.

As others said making things ahead of time is super helpful, for me I make enough dinner so I usually have leftovers for myself for lunch! Cutting up veggies and putting them into containers, having fresh fruit around.

• hannimator

January 5, 2017 at 9:53 am

When I was a student I used to live off frozen food. One of my staples was frozen mince beef fried with rice and frozen veg. Like peas and carrots and stuff. you throw in some paprikia, chili powder and soy sauce and its a super quick easy meal. Another easy one I used to do was frozen diced chicken, fried with rice, egg, ginger, chillies and some soy sauce. Delicious.

At the moment, I tend to do one big batch of either chili or bolognese (always with a larger veg to meat ratio) which I can freeze and reheat without any trouble. When I’m feeling extra lazy I get a packet of instant noodles (get nice ones like Indome, not super noodles) and top with an egg. If I’m feeling a little less lazy I get a nest of dried doodles, cook those with miso soup and spices, onions, carrots, cabbage, chillies, and top with egg and bacon. You can re heat it and just cook the egg/bacon on the day.

For lunches I’ve found the quickest and cheapest are just basic sandwiches, I normally go for pate and cucumber. Sometimes I like tuna + onions + avacado wrap, but that can take a bit more time to prepare. If I need to be quick I have a cup-a-soup with a slice of bread. Not the healthiest but it keeps me going.

Breakfast, work days I have muesli with greek yoghurt. Topped with honey and chocolate chips (I love chocolatey breakfasts and this way I can control how much I consume!) on weekends I have egg, bacon, beans because I tend to go climbing afterwords and need fuel to get me through! Lunch is normally a greggs sausage roll though since they are easy to pick up on the way home, and you can’t miss them in Newcastle!