StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Marley Help!!

• Marley Help!!

Posted by Dayanara on October 27, 2009 at 12:33 am

just looking for some tips for the Marley, it’s giving me a hard time, any help would be appreciated, should I push my hips forward? I need some useful tips, my top leg is getting this horrible cramp when I reach for my foot, omg. lol.

Veena replied 5 years, 9 months ago 9 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • Jenn

October 27, 2009 at 2:26 am

I am working on this one too, It hurts too much to let go!

• joni1

October 27, 2009 at 2:46 am

Can anyone post a link to a marley https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_question.gif I’m not familiar to it. THANKS.

• miss fern

October 27, 2009 at 4:02 am

I get into marley from a princess. That way you are already holding your foot for the top, hooked leg in the right position, and already squeezing and already taking a lot of body weight there. Then I put my spare hand on the pole below that top knee, and let go on my bottom foot (the one that is straight, along the pole almost), and let that leg go BEHIND the pole. This transfers almost all the weight onto the top knee, but you still have your hand on the pole to ease the transition. Then I lean down/away a bit, to get into position and then it’s just a matter of letting go of the pole, with my hand, and grabbing my other foot.

joni1, this is marley: http://www.triagedesign.co.uk/wikipole/images/thumb/b/b6/Marley.jpg/800px-Marley.jpg

• ottersocks

October 27, 2009 at 4:08 pm

good descrip, georgia. dayanara, yes, you definitely want to push your hips forward. once you grab the top foot, start pushing hips forward and arching back. then you can take off the bottom hand, bend the bottom leg back, and connect. this move does not lock in until you arch. and yes, it definitely hurts the top leg calf muscle. you get used to it tho! good luck!

• Dayanara

October 27, 2009 at 5:26 pm

Thank you so much, so push hips and arch all the way…got it, the pain…ohhh the pain is horrible, I thought the knee hold was painful, but now that I have that one mastered I can say this one hurts a lot more. lol.

• MichelleH

November 18, 2011 at 2:01 am

I was working on this again last night. Oh the pain!!

Something that was helping: place the top knee, and use the other foot to push the leg closer, grab with your hand and slowly slide your other hand down the pole…

I can;t grab the other leg yet…

• Charley

November 18, 2011 at 12:45 pm

I could never do the Marley until I realized the pain was coming from my calf muscles being really tight (the knee pit wasn't an issue really because I do tons of knee held things.) 

My favorite entry into this is out of a sideways cuddled position.  From a flipped gemini position, tuck you legs and bring thme together, grab the top foot and push out, arch your back and grab the bottom foot.  

I do it at 1:28 in this vid on FB http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=2715180518439&set=vb.1224746402&type=2&theater

I'll upload the video here on Veena too onceI get it off my phone 😀

• Athena30

June 27, 2018 at 4:41 am

So I just learned the Marley and every time I attempt this move right underneath my ribs is painful for several days to the point where I can’t even invert anymore. Anyone know why this is?

• Veena

Administrator
    June 28, 2018 at 8:41 pm

How are you doing the Marley, holding top foot, hooked foot, both feet, no feet? Using my lesson, and what entry are you using?

• Athena30

June 29, 2018 at 1:57 am

Hi Veena I’m only holding my top foot sometimes bottom. I climb, bring myself to the side of the pole and hook my top leg while tipping myself sideways
    With my bottom hand under my legs, then I jut out my hips or try to, and pull on the back of my top foot.

• Veena

Administrator
    June 29, 2018 at 5:09 am

Holding the top hooked leg will require more back mobility! Have you tried it like I demonstrate in the lesson here? Learning it first without holding the top leg should help put you in a position that doesn’t put as much strain on the body.

• Athena30

June 30, 2018 at 1:50 am

Thank you I have basically Zero back mobility so I guess that’s not helping

• Veena

Administrator
    June 30, 2018 at 5:33 am

The Marley requires back and shoulder mobility, flexy and hip flexors