StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Loyal to your dance studio?

• Loyal to your dance studio?

Posted by PoleWarrior on July 30, 2012 at 7:53 am

Hi ladies just wanted to get your opinions about something thats causing me some discomfort. I’ve been learning pole at a particular studio for close to 5 years now and have since made some fabulous friendships with both the students and the instructors. However, Another studio has offered me an instructor job. I feel like I’m betraying my studio if I take the job. I also wouldn’t be able to see my friends and train with the instructors there anymore. Is it normal to feel this way? What would you do? Thanks! X

PoleWarrior replied 6 years, 1 month ago 10 Members · 18 Replies
  • 18 Replies
  • PoleWarrior

July 30, 2012 at 7:53 am

Hi ladies just wanted to get your opinions about something thats causing me some discomfort. I’ve been learning pole at a particular studio for close to 5 years now and have since made some fabulous friendships with both the students and the instructors. However, Another studio has offered me an instructor job. I feel like I’m betraying my studio if I take the job. I also wouldn’t be able to see my friends and train with the instructors there anymore. Is it normal to feel this way? What would you do? Thanks! X

• chemgoddess1

July 30, 2012 at 7:58 am

Why would you be unable to train with the instructors at your old studio?

Have you read through any of the becoming an instructor threads?  Before making a decision I would strongly recommend taking a look.  There are a lot of questions you need to ask this new studio.

• Anonyma

July 30, 2012 at 11:44 am

its really understandable… i mean learning everything from one studio and then turn around and goin to teach to their competitors

if they pay you good money for it , its something to think about it

if I was the instructor, i would be happy for you but feel betrayed at the same time for sure. Maybe you should ask if you could become an instructor at the studio you re already at.

some people might think what I said is mean , but it is what it is, when it comes to business, no more friends

• chemgoddess1

July 30, 2012 at 12:17 pm

It depends on the city you are located in and how close the studios really are.  We have instructors that teach at a few studios around town and we all visit on another and take classes.  I know other cities where it is the same, but I also know some areas where it is very cut throat.

It does not have to be all or nothing.  Talk to the studio owner where you are taking classes.  She may be excited for you.  There is a way to do this with open communication leading the way.  It will all come down to the reaction of your home studio. 

• JBStarryEyedGirl

July 30, 2012 at 3:15 pm

You’ll have to decide how to make the situation work best for you. If you love the studio you are at, talk to the owner about working there. You obviously have 5 years of experience, the owner would be smart to add you to the team! Just be honest and upfront with them. Say you love being there and that if there is no opportunity there for you that you have been offered a position with another company. If you really want to teach you should go for it. Just remember that you are also giving up an established studio with instructors who can help mentor you, which may not be the case in a new studio. It could also mean less students in a new studio. Lots of pros and cons, good luck with making the decision! Let us know what happens. 🙂

• darling dearest

July 30, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I thought it was the norm to take classes at one studio while teaching elsewhere. My instructor doesn't study at the same studio she teaches. If you'd really like to stay with your current studio, you might want to inquire about job opportunities there. You should also look into the job that you have been offered. I've heard all sorts of things about pole studios being very competitive with one another so I was a little apprehensive about going to another studio while studying at my current one, but I received no negative reactions from either end. I can't imagine that your current studio would prohibit you from attending classes any more. As chem has said, keep your line of communication and your options open!

• ShonaLancs

July 30, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Take the job!!!!! That’s an awesome offer and if the studio you learn at don’t like it then tough, they weren’t behind you all the way anyway. Got to look after number 1!

• ShonaLancs

July 30, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Take the job!!!!! That’s an awesome offer and if the studio you learn at don’t like it then tough, they weren’t behind you all the way anyway. Got to look after number 1!

• PoleWarrior

July 31, 2012 at 3:51 am

Thanks so much for the replies. It's been causing me a bit of angst, but at least now I know that others would feel the same.

I have previously enquired about instructing at the studio I train at, but as is the usual case with these things, I was passed up for someone else with more experience.

Unfortunately pole dance studios here are quite competitive and exclusivity clauses are commonplace. It's a bit sad it's that it's like that – I'm not sure if the same restrictions apply for other dance instructors? I wouldn't be able to train or instruct anywhere else, which might inhibit my own learning in pole. What would you guys do?

• chemgoddess1

July 31, 2012 at 8:29 am

Are you 100% sure you want to teach?  Is this something you aspired to do or are you just excited that someone asked you?

Have you looked through the threads that I suggested?  

I will tell you from experience that teaching will stagnate you unless you actively pursue advancing.

Some good reads from Amy.

http://aerialamy.com/blog/2012/03/07/the-10-commandments-of-a-pole-instructor/

http://aerialamy.com/blog/2011/04/13/becoming-an-instructor/

BTW, exclusivity clauses are about TEACHING not about training.  And if the studio hires you as an independant contractor vs an employee this is not anything they can do (at elast not here in the states).

There are a LOT of important questions you need to ask.

https://www.studioveena.com/forums/view/3549

https://www.studioveena.com/forums/view/4f810457-3c48-4d33-8fc4-7cc80ac37250

https://www.studioveena.com/forums/view/2136

https://www.studioveena.com/forums/view/3408

I am trying to find a post from Charley also regarding problems that she had at a studio she was working at.  It was earlier this year and I am having difficulties finding it. 

• MieleRu

July 31, 2012 at 8:35 am

That’s retarded! You should be able to train and practice wherever you like/choose. Are you sure? Here in NYC all my instructors take classes at other studios. They’re so many great teachers here. That would really inhibit you and I think ultimately them because they’re stifling your growth as an instructor. Seems pretty short sighted to me. Maybe you can work something out? Be the arbiter of change ;). Good luck!

• minicoopergrl

July 31, 2012 at 9:44 am

I think alot of them have contracts about teaching somewhere else while your teaching for them.  If I was an owner, Id encourage my instructors to branch out and try different classes/instructors.  Never stop growing as a teacher nor as a student! 

• jade s

July 31, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Loyalty does not necessarily = exclusive. It’s possible to be loyal to the studio that you train at by still going there and still recommending them, as well as teach at another studio while promoting them. Each studio is different, even if they teach similar styles. Attending classes at different studios even if you’re teaching at another is good for your own growth and advancement. You will learn something from each one, even if it’s what not to do. I think that especially since the studio you train at is not willing to bring you on as an instructor, you have every right to go elsewhere.

• PoleWarrior

August 2, 2012 at 3:53 am

Thanks for sharing everyone. It would be ideal if I could instruct and continue to train somewhere else, but the prospective owner has told me explicitly that wasn't an option. She was concerned about how it might look to her existing students that other instructors train somewhere else. Given that and considering chemgoddess' warning, I don't think it's the right place for me. I'd love to continue to grow as a dancer and this studio doesn't offer that.

Chemgoddess you were spot on about instructing inhibiting my own pole growth. I would love to teach pole, but I still love being a student too. I don't know how some people manage the two while maintaining a full time job? Perhaps another discussion though..!

• chemgoddess1

August 2, 2012 at 7:27 am

Aerial Amy I think had another blog regarding it or it may have been discussions here or on facebook.  I think for her it helps that much of what she does is right in the city.  For me the only time I got to work on "me stuff" was either at home or when I was able to get together and jam with other pole peeps.  But then again, she also takes classes at other studios so she is both an instructor and student.  It also helps if you are not the most advanced instructor at the studio so you can drop in to other classes and learn.

Page 1 of 2